Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Rear Door is Stuck (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rear-door-is-stuck-29303.html)

SupWiz17 10-03-2011 10:47 PM

Rear Door is Stuck

I searched but could not find anyone with this same problem.

Tonight I go to get some work stuff out of my backseat and my passenger side rear door wont open. At first I figure the doors are locked and nope the door locks are locking and unlocking just fine. So then I try again from the outside of the car and its like the door latch is just partially disengaging. I can feel it moving when I pull the handle and the door opens about a 1/2" in the middle of the door but on the top and bottom of the door it is stuck.

I then go around to the inside of my Jeep and try to open the door from the inside. Again the handle doesnt feel loose like it is disconnected but it also isnt letting me open the door from the inside. Its almost like the door is frozen shut from ice and snow getting in there but it isnt even close to being that cold yet.

Has this happened to anyone else? How can I get this door open so I can take the panel off and get into the door? Its almost like I have to give the door a good kick to get it open. Its really weird. I was thinking that maybe the door latch is only partially opening and thats why I can get the door started when I pull on it but then it wont let me open it any further? When I looked at the drivers rear door it looked like there was only one latch that is about level with the outside door handle. Am I missing something? Is there another latch that I didnt see? This is pretty frustrating because I cant even get the door open so I can take off the panels and see whats going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dr.lee.baugh 10-04-2011 06:45 AM

Re: Rear Door is Stuck

Yikes!

I haven't had it happen to my GC, but I have had it happen in another car...was not fun.

It was stuck in a half-closed position (like you get when you don't shut the door with enough force). Wouldn't open with either handle, and wouldn't completely close either.

The only solution I could come up with was cutting a small square in the outside door panel to get access to the mechansism. Well, that didn't work, as the rods attaching the handle to the latch were all fine. Had to cut an even larger hole and dismantle the latching mechanism from inside the door, and then replace it with a new one afterwards (and of course, repair the hole in the door!)

Do your windows work? There is always Dukes of Hazard style...

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-04-2011 12:44 PM

you could remove the back seat? then you would have the clearance to remove the inner door panel to repair the mechanism. the seat bottom comes out easily with only two bolts and that alone should give you enough room.

chance 10-04-2011 01:58 PM

Happened to me, do not kick or pull it! I broke my door panel doing that.

You need two people one on the inside, one on the outside.

Have the outside person pull on the door and then the inside person needs to push against the bottom of the door panel.

This worked for me, I think it has to do with maybe a broken clip and when the door is shut hard the panel gets stuck on the gasked or something, idk.

Seems to be the same problem I had, let us know if it works!

SupWiz17 10-04-2011 05:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not used any extreme force yet like kicking it lol. I didnt know the back seat was that easy to remove and I think that chance had the same exact problem. It definitely isnt the latch or locking mechanism that is broke because I can get the latch to disengage but the door just wont open and it is definitely the bottom part of the door that is stuck. I will try the same method that you used and once I get it open I will see what it is sticking on. How did you fix the problem? Did you have to replace the whole door panel or just the broken clip?

chance 10-04-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupWiz17 (Post 494107)
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not used any extreme force yet like kicking it lol. I didnt know the back seat was that easy to remove and I think that chance had the same exact problem. It definitely isnt the latch or locking mechanism that is broke because I can get the latch to disengage but the door just wont open and it is definitely the bottom part of the door that is stuck. I will try the same method that you used and once I get it open I will see what it is sticking on. How did you fix the problem? Did you have to replace the whole door panel or just the broken clip?

Well, I haven't completely fixed it yet because I actually broke my door panel lol. So I used adhesive to get it as close together as possible.

But then I put all new clips in just because the old ones seemed almost worn, and it has seemed to fix the problem.

I got my clips from here: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...r_p/a20765.htm

I know it seems like a lot but I have broken some in the past and I have extra if I ever need to put more on.

Also, tell your passengers not to slam your door, that seems to be the most likely culprit of my dilemma at least. I threaten to kick them in the head when they do it though, so it has happened that much lately lol.

SupWiz17 10-04-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chance (Post 494225)
Well, I haven't completely fixed it yet because I actually broke my door panel lol. So I used adhesive to get it as close together as possible.

But then I put all new clips in just because the old ones seemed almost worn, and it has seemed to fix the problem.

I got my clips from here: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...r_p/a20765.htm

I know it seems like a lot but I have broken some in the past and I have extra if I ever need to put more on.

Also, tell your passengers not to slam your door, that seems to be the most likely culprit of my dilemma at least. I threaten to kick them in the head when they do it though, so it has happened that much lately lol.

lol the first thing I thought of when it happened is that someone must have slammed the door and it caused it being stuck. I dont get why people feel the need to slam car doors.

remmy 03-15-2012 08:31 PM

Uggh! This happened to me. I broke mine by giving it a big man tug. It snapped the panel horizontally across the panel. FML. Now that adds to 4 panels I need to replace.