Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   KUMHO tires made in Vietnam (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/kumho-tires-made-in-vietnam-29306.html)

bing56 10-04-2011 04:20 AM

KUMHO tires made in Vietnam

Australian delivered WK2s are being fitted with crap Kumho tires made in Vietnam. Quality issues here I think. Anyway my new GC had a steering vibration at around 110Ks so took it back to dealer who said they could not find anything wrong with the wheel balance and suggested that the pressures were to low. I thought at the time this was a loud of BS so took the car to my local tire guy that I have used for years. One of the front tires had 270 grams of wieght on the out side and 50 grams on the inner side. That is a lot of weight let me tell you. Weight was removed and tire rotated 180 degrees on rim and re balance with only 50 grams all up required. Guess what? Now drives perfect. I am going down to dealer with the account for $80.00 in the morning as the cost of repair that they should have fixed in the first place. Should be interesting conversation. The dealer is James Frisells at Southport Queensland in case anyone is interested. We have purchased 4 jeeps and 1 Mazda truck from this company over the years so you would think they could do better. :(

ENFORCER 10-04-2011 06:50 AM

Re: KUMHO tires made in Vietnam

You need to remember that dealers have bugger all experience with wheels and balance. They put the wheel on a machine that will only spin up to 80km/h, so any problem in higher speeds will not be discovered. My Kumho's are working fine. Just did a 1200km road trip in torrential rain and did some off roading and they were great. What makes you think they are crap ?

moosehead 10-04-2011 09:54 AM

Kumho just took the top slot in the AT category on Tirerack consumer survey. Sounds like it was the dealer balance issue as Enforcer suggests?

fireron 10-04-2011 09:57 AM

Moose, Do you eat chili dogs in that outfit?

starscream 10-04-2011 02:54 PM

Kumho tires are some of the best tires on the market, especially considering their price next to competitors, IMHO.

bbpink 10-04-2011 03:03 PM

On my Laredo, Jeep put on Canada built Goodyears and a Vietnam built Kumho as the spare.

Kev- 10-05-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 493912)
Kumho just took the top slot in the AT category on Tirerack consumer survey. Sounds like it was the dealer balance issue as Enforcer suggests?

We'll see how that holds up when they get a fair number of miles in the right side column. Recent feedback is hinting at a short tread life - tires that do very well for the first few thousand miles and then fall apart.

When a tire shows up on Tire Rack's survey results with just a few hundred thousand total reported miles, then that's going to mostly be people who have only owned them a short time. Once it gets well into the 7 digit range we can begin to see how they are in the long term.

Seen it happen before. :)

I've had Khumo tires and I've had Michelin tires. My car was great with the Michelins. Not so great with the Khumos. They had a vibration issue as well. I ended up selling the car before I had enough time to completely solve the vibration. But it started on day 1 of the Khumo tires, when they replaced the Michelins.

Eric67 10-05-2011 03:51 AM

Kuhmo tires are available for some years now here in Holland. Personally I wish theY put those tires on my GC instead of Goodyear Fortera's. Goodyears are crappier.
Why would something made in Vietnam instantly be crap ?
Bit Short-sighted don't you think ? :slapfight:

ultraelvis 10-05-2011 04:25 AM

I have the Kuhmo's on my 18's in Australia, they are ok.

What PSI are you running them at? Came from the dealer at 40PSI, is that over inflated do you think?

Eric67 10-05-2011 04:31 AM

36PSI is recommended (see inside of drivers door). But thats for the 20".

bing56 10-05-2011 04:57 AM

OK I'm running 36psi as recommended. Regardless of where they made weights at 270 grams is way off what is ok. Took my paid account to the dealer today and spoke to them about the issue and the fact that I now have no problem. To be honest not really interested in excuses especially when they tell me that it was an under inflation issue which was crap. Will wait and see what comes of the matter. Have already told them that I'm not interested in $80.00 of the next service as have lost faith in them and their cost for service is to high anyway.

ENFORCER 10-05-2011 05:30 AM

bing, The wheels are supplied, balanced and fitted at the factory. The problem may be with the wheel, not the tyre, as they are not always perfect. I think you may be a bit harsh on your dealer. You may be expecting a bit more than they are capable of.