Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   trailer hitch help !! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/trailer-hitch-help-29329.html)

MattyDipps 10-04-2011 04:36 PM

trailer hitch help !!

okay my gc never came with a trailer hitch, cant imagine why its a jeep !, but who cares im going to install one my self ... i have the trailer hitch down pat i was just curious if anyone has attempted to cut a hole in their bumper and put the Rear Fascia Bezel in to give it a stock look.... has anyone done this ? if so was it hard? i read the reviews and apparently on the inside of the bumper theres a mark already there to follow with a cutting utensil id rather use the jeep hitch that looks smooth in the bumper than a reese or something along those lines that hangs 3 inches off the bottom of the bumper... just a bit nervous here about butchering a hole in my bumper lol

Redpit 10-04-2011 08:14 PM

Re: trailer hitch help !!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll prolly just let a pro do it, scared I'll mess up my bumper

misfit77 10-04-2011 09:44 PM

it wasnt really hard at all....but once you start, you have to finish.

Scored an OEM hitch for $95 on ebay. Fascia kit for $50 on ebay as well.

You will need new rivets, they are not reusable. I was able to score a multipack from Harbor Freight for a few bux and already had the plastic rivet gun.

The bumper had all the marks you need to cut. My cuts were nasty but hardly noticable. Use good cutting tools, otherwise you will get clear coat peeling.

Have a large blanket ready to place the flimsy bumper cover on when working.

If you have a large spare tire like my OEM Saharas, you will have problems re-mounting the spare. The 4 bolts were not an issue. I had to cut/grind the inner extended piece. My Jeep can't tow much so I was not worried.

For wiring. I refused to pay for a harness then pay the dealer to activate it (my dealer is an idiot). I used a cheap 4pin flat universal kit from Autozone.

After all said and done, I should have gone with a hidden htich or U-haul. With a budget boost and Sahara wheels, the hitch is now too high.

MattyDipps 10-04-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redpit (Post 494191)
I'm in the same boat as you. I'll prolly just let a pro do it, scared I'll mess up my bumper

from what i hear the detailed instructions are really clear and i hear the trick is to heat the bumper from the back and use an extremely sharp knive and there wont be a problem with clear coat im going to get a quote from a local auto body shop to take care of the bumper ill take care of everything else ... if i decide to do it my self ill post pics

MattyDipps 10-04-2011 10:31 PM

i dont know im alloud to say this website ... but has anyone heard of jeeppartspeople? they seam to have a nice price on a bezel and hitch

misfit77 10-04-2011 11:57 PM

Found my receipt. OEM hitch from Airpark Jeep in Scottsdale AZ charged me 92.87 + 17.50 shippin+8.31 tax = 118.68.

OEM instructions were in generic sketches or assembly hieroglyphics.

2005JGC 10-06-2011 02:06 AM

Honestly for myself this is what I do...

When I hog out the slots I use a drill bit and just swiss cheese the opening, I wanna say a 1/4" drill bit (cannot remember for sure, just big enough to fit between the lines. Drill, move up the slot drill, move up the slot drill... then a razor can clean up the rough edges no problem. I then use the razor to carefully cut the corners out, patience grasshopper! I use my cut off wheel to then come in and rip out the big middle section (staying just off the line). I then follow up with my die grinder and a roloc and cut it out right to the line. I can honestly say that I FAR prefer this over all other methods I have seen, for fit and finish. Alot of guys use the air saw, but it is just too quick and before you know it it will jump off the line and...

http://plus4chan.org/b/mtv/src/130826819483.png

also as someone mentioned its not rocket science but it is quite picky, DONT go beyond the line unless you want big ugly gaps and a poorly fitting bezel. Take your time and DONT go beyond the lines (have I said that yet) and you will be golden!

Crestwood1001 10-06-2011 11:18 AM

Put tape on the seam on the painted part of the bumper to prevent the clear from pealing. I'd use a dremel with one of the new plastic cutting wheels and just cut inside the lines first and then eat away at it slowly till you get to the guide lines.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

MattyDipps 10-07-2011 06:54 PM

ahhhh decisions decisions ... i bought the hitch and bezel brand new for 185 shipped so as soon as they come im going to attempt it and hopefully there wont be a big gash ill take a few pics along the way and report back to you guys as soon as the project is under way ... im kind of liking the drill and move method i know ill be much happier with cutting small sections away than cutting the whole thing (shakey hands) does it have to be perfectly on the line or is there a little give ?