Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   I think my heatercore is leaking . (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/i-think-my-heatercore-is-leaking-29361.html)

svt393 10-05-2011 08:44 AM

I think my heatercore is leaking .

I recently purchased a 2005 hemi GC with a bad engine. Before i pulled the motor i noticed the pass side floor wet i figured the window was just left open and dried it up.... Well this weekend i replaced the engine and after driving it i looked on the pass floor in front of the seat tracks and it was all wet. I tried drying it up with a paper towel and the liquid was red like my coolant .

ive checked my connections in the engine compartment and they do not leak. Im assuming the heater core is leaking?

Has anyone replaced a heatercore in a wk? Ive done a couple in my wj which was a pain .

anyone have mopar directions on pulling the dash?

any help would be great

Archer9 10-05-2011 08:49 AM

Re: I think my heatercore is leaking .

I doubt it's the actual heater core after only 5 years. More likely just a loose hose clamp.

Archer9 10-05-2011 09:05 AM

or even 7 years. My math is bad today.

svt393 10-05-2011 09:28 AM

I really hope its a loose hose clamp . Which hose clamps are you talking about? In the engine compartment? or under the dash?

viking757 10-05-2011 10:59 AM

It's not uncommon for the heater cores to fail. Mine and a few other members have had ours fail. You have to pull the whole dash. Search the forums I have a post with some pics of the ordeal.

viking757 10-05-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer9 (Post 494375)
I doubt it's the actual heater core after only 5 years. More likely just a loose hose clamp.

There is no hose clamps. It's a solid aluminum pair of hoses that goes past the firewall to the heater core. It uses O-rings to make the seal to the heater core.

Archer9 10-05-2011 11:57 AM

Good information, Viking. Didn't know there were o-rings. I usually keep my cars a long time (20 yrs for my XJ) . Have had plenty of parts failures over the years but never had to replace a heater core. Kinda surprising to find out that there have been known problems with some WKs.

JETLIFE 10-05-2011 12:20 PM

It could also be the heater core housing. I replaced my HC and still have a leak somewhere.

viking757 10-05-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer9 (Post 494460)
Good information, Viking. Didn't know there were o-rings. I usually keep my cars a long time (20 yrs for my XJ) . Have had plenty of parts failures over the years but never had to replace a heater core. Kinda surprising to find out that there have been known problems with some WKs.

I hear you bro. I try and do most of the repair work myself because I like to save money and I love my WK but sometimes I want to just drive it off a cliff! But at the same time this forum has made diagnosing problems and repairing them not only easier but has saved me a lot of time.

svt393 10-05-2011 03:19 PM

So there are o-rings! maybe one of them failed . Its weird the whole pass floor isnt wet just in front of the seat .

found a cool video of a heatercore replacement it answered alot of my questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQAOqRoRUU

svt393 10-06-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking757 (Post 494434)
It's not uncommon for the heater cores to fail. Mine and a few other members have had ours fail. You have to pull the whole dash. Search the forums I have a post with some pics of the ordeal.

saw your post but only found one pic .. You have any tips? hopefully i can cut that support you talk about in the post and not take the whole dash apart. Do you have any other pics ?

viking757 10-08-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt393 (Post 495019)
saw your post but only found one pic .. You have any tips? hopefully i can cut that support you talk about in the post and not take the whole dash apart. Do you have any other pics ?

Sorry didn't take any other pics because I was hell bent on getting it done. I didnt cut the support because I had no means of tacking it back on so I had to pull the whole dash. The only tip would be its good to have a helping hand because you both can work on both sides removing the bolts and screws and it will make it go faster. Also you dont have to pull the whole dash out of the vehicle. I just tipped it forward until I had enough clearance to remove the heater core.