Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   oil change question.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/oil-change-question-29384.html)

99PlatinumWJ 10-05-2011 07:42 PM

oil change question..

so my wj has 126000 miles on it and i usually use valvoline max life with fram extra guard filter, but im thinking about switching to mobil 1 synthetic with a mobil 1 filter.
what do you think?
too many miles to switch to synthetic?
would anyone be worried about doing this to their own jeep?
any problems going to occur?
also, once i go to synthetic, can i ever switch back to a non-synthetic or do i have to stay synthetic from now on?
i did a couple searches but i would like a direct answer.
thank you in advance..

Chaoul1 10-05-2011 09:53 PM

Re: oil change question..

You'll be fine switching to Synthetic. WHen I got my old 04' WJ it had 166,000 miles. Yes that was the real mileage. I switched to Royal Purple and it was fine, but then I switched to Mobile Clean 5000 and it was fine also.

It's up to you though!

99PlatinumWJ 10-05-2011 09:58 PM

Thanks Paul,
I have a slight lifter tick when its cold out on start up and I heard switching to synthetic could help it because the oil flows better than conventional oil..?
True?
Thanks again

StephenE 10-05-2011 10:33 PM

I changed mine over to full synthetic (Amsoil) at 110,000.

Here is most everyting you need to know about motor oil...

01grand 10-06-2011 09:20 AM

There will be no problem switching to synthetic at any point in an engines life, or for that matter switching back to conventional. The chemistry has progressed far enough that it will not hurt your engine any to switch.

Not sure if it will help the tick much, it might go away faster but it will probably still be there. My 1993 4.0 still had the tick even though I used synthetic, but I never used conventional in it so im not sure if it would change.

PS. I used to use valvoline synthetic, but due to what was on sale this time I switched to mobil 1 oil and filter. It seems fine so far, not sure if I could say one is better than the other, at least for another few thousand miles when its time for another change.

Chaoul1 10-06-2011 09:38 AM

Mine had that tick to. It was just a lifter tick. I used 10W40 in the winter time and 10W30 during the Spring/Summer. That was just me though. You don't have to.

99PlatinumWJ 10-06-2011 09:11 PM

Thanks guys, I have another week or 2 before I change the oil so ill keep pondering this..
I think ill make the switch and if all goes well I will stay synthetic. A little extra money every couples months will hopefully pay off for a cleaner and longer lasting engine!

TJXJWJ 10-07-2011 02:00 PM

Do it and stick with it! I recommend the K&N oil filters (you can get them at the Zone)...they make removal and installation REALLY easy. All you need is a 1" socket. No more crappy strap wrenches, or oil filter wrenches.

99PlatinumWJ 10-07-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone!
Looks like I'm going to make the switch and stick with it! My oil changes are usually $30 now, and the mobil 1 oil and filter is about $45 so its not too bad.. Ill look into the k&n filter as I have their air filter also!
Thank you fellas

StephenE 10-07-2011 05:32 PM

FYI - Mobil 1 is no longer a true synthetic oil. It is based off Group III oil stock (mineral oil). Only Group IV or group V are true synthetic oils.

01grand 10-08-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenE (Post 495698)
FYI - Mobil 1 is no longer a true synthetic oil. It is based off Group III oil stock (mineral oil). Only Group IV or group V are true synthetic oils.

Do you know what brand oils are made with Group IV or V stock?

dhillon09 10-10-2011 03:15 PM

Make sure you don't cheap out on the filter. If a WIX filter is available to you, always go with it. Far superior to everything else. I either use a wix filter or an OEM filter. I never use fram as someone told me its garbage in the past, and that OEM was actually much better. Is this true? (FRAM compared to OEM?).