Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Sat Radio Antenna leaking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/sat-radio-antenna-leaking-2939.html)

1 GRAND 09-28-2009 12:24 PM

Sat Radio Antenna leaking

We had some heavy rains over the weekend, and when I stopped to refuel the Jeep I opened the rear hatch to get my umbrella and I noticed water everywhere. The headliner was soaked.

I went back home and removed the headliner to get access to the antenna and it was very loose. Both of the clips were cracked that holds the antenna down. I popped the antenna out and cleaned everything up, then put a bead of sealant around the antenna and used 2 large washers and the bolt in the bottom of the antenna to hold it on, rather than the 2 plastic clips. After than I put another bead of sealer around the washers and bolt. It appeared that took care of the problem.

Anyone else had this issue?

Matt 09-28-2009 01:27 PM

Re: Sat Radio Antenna leaking

No, but now you have me worried.

Is it pretty easy to pull the rear part of the headliner? I assume just pull all the plastic in the rear and quarter area and it will just fall.

Scottina06 09-28-2009 02:19 PM

nice fix bro! Us KY boys are purty smert huh? LOL

+rep

1 GRAND 09-28-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 68704)
No, but now you have me worried.

Is it pretty easy to pull the rear part of the headliner? I assume just pull all the plastic in the rear and quarter area and it will just fall.

I pulled the 3 plastic rear trim pieces in the rear, then the C pillar trim pieces on each side behind the passenger doors where the seat belt comes out. After that I removed the 2 plastic trim screws that hold the head liner above the rear hatch and the head liner pulled right down. From there you can see every thing about the antenna. It has a tab I had to snip off on the rear of the antenna so a big washer would go over it, but with the sealant I used I still think it will be better than what the factory had set up.

It is a very poor design from the factory imo. I should have took pictures when I did this, but it was raining and I was freaking out.

I had to dry the head liner because it was soaked. It all appears to be fine now though. Not a fun thing to see when it is pouring the rain. Better now than this winter though with snow sitting on the roof and having ice froze in my head liner. :eek:

1 GRAND 09-28-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 68716)

+rep

Just a little chicken wire and duct tape will fix anything. :lol:

I did put a piece of duct tape over the hole on the roof while I was in the garage fooling around with the antenna. :o

Scottina06 09-28-2009 02:53 PM

Lol.......ky ftmfw!

Matt 09-28-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 68716)

+rep

Lets not get ahead of ourselves :D :slapfight: :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 68737)
I pulled the 3 plastic rear trim pieces in the rear, then the C pillar trim pieces on each side behind the passenger doors where the seat belt comes out. After that I removed the 2 plastic trim screws that hold the head liner above the rear hatch and the head liner pulled right down. From there you can see every thing about the antenna. It has a tab I had to snip off on the rear of the antenna so a big washer would go over it, but with the sealant I used I still think it will be better than what the factory had set up.

It is a very poor design from the factory imo. I should have took pictures when I did this, but it was raining and I was freaking out.

I had to dry the head liner because it was soaked. It all appears to be fine now though. Not a fun thing to see when it is pouring the rain. Better now than this winter though with snow sitting on the roof and having ice froze in my head liner. :eek:

Awesome, thanks for info!! I've always been worried that this could leak someday... something about an aftermarket hole in the roof just doesn't sit well with me. Especially when the dealership does it, lol.

Scottina06 09-28-2009 03:18 PM

dropping the headliner isnt as easy as he makes it sound. Matter of fact...its a pain. I had to drop it to install the rear VES system. I had top drop the entire liner though...ugh