Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2008 HEMI WK not holding 5th gear when coasting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2008-hemi-wk-not-holding-5th-gear-when-coasting-29408.html)

HEMI57 10-06-2011 09:33 AM

2008 HEMI WK not holding 5th gear when coasting

Just a question for the HEMI owners as this is driving me crazy. So I'm cruising 65-70MPH on the highway and sometimes (not all the time) when I take my foot off the go pedal for a few seconds instead of coasting in 5th and not jerking out of gear it decides to drop out of gear (RPMS drop to 1000 and then pop back into gear ~2500RPMS). Doesn't happen all the time and its driving me crazy when it does. Is this a sign of low fluid in the tranny or something else strange? Or is this 100% normal? The MDS also kicks off when I coast and this happens at speed. And between the MDS kicking off, the gear not staying engaged I just feel this silly jolt everytime I let off the gas. Hope I explained this in enough detail... can anyone chime in? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mrtosh 10-06-2011 05:14 PM

Re: 2008 HEMI WK not holding 5th gear when coasting

Normal.

Redpit 10-06-2011 05:38 PM

It does not happen with mine. Sometimes it will hunt for gears at odd times, but when coasting my mds is always on and mine does not down shift while coasting. Sorry I don't have a solution, but figured I'd give you my experience with mine.

NorthNJwk 10-06-2011 06:05 PM

I haven't noticed this on mine. I will now and let you know.

Snow4Lif3 10-06-2011 06:58 PM

When im cruising at 65-70MPH and release the gas pedal, the mds engage and it stay on the 5th gear.

Perhaps, when im cruising at low speed and suddenly remove my foot from the gas pedal, mds engage but disengage few second after, when the speed began to decrease more... but i dont remember if it downshift in that situation... maybe yes. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

I think its not normal that mds disengage when you are coasting, at least when your going at a decent speed...

I noticed that the mds disengage when you are loosing speed rapidly like when you are applying the brake...

mrtosh 10-06-2011 08:36 PM

The trans shouldn't be downshifting when you let off. What happens is the torque converter unlocks that's why you get that momentary rev when you are in the throttle again. When it comes down in rpm is when the TC locks up again.

2005JGC 10-06-2011 10:41 PM

Its not by chance when you have your CC on? Because it will downshift to maintain a speed.

HEMI57 10-07-2011 07:21 AM

Wow, thanks for all the input guys!

So some say normal, some say not. It feels not to be honest. No CC on, just cruising at highway speeds and lift foot off gas and rpms drop out to 1000 real quick (MDS disengages) and then pops right back into gear and MDS re-engages. Funny thing is its sporadic, sometimes if I come off real slow on the gas it'll drop but sometimes it'll stay. Same thing with quick off the gas sometimes drop, sometimes stay...

Funny thing and perhaps related. Driving to work today merging onto a highway 40MPH maybe. I spank the gas hard to beat out a large semi with the merge and the HEMI screams up to 5K and then BAM everything shuts down leaving me stranded at 70MPH. Engine shut itself off apparently (fail-safe mode?) but I still had power brakes thankfully. Pulled over to the side where my oil light was on (weird...) and let it sit for 60 seconds. Fired her back up with zero issues and drove fine all the rest of the way.

Of course I will not be able to replicate this for the dealer (I do have an extended warranty though) so it'll surely be self-diagnosis from here until next time. Maybe this is related to my transmission issues with the truck dropping out of 5th on the highway? Maybe my fluid is low or my torque converter sucks?

Sorry for the long story/rant.. just trying to decide whether to keep this thing or get the hell out. At this point I'd love to keep it and add lift/tires and personalize it more but the wife is pushing me to trade it in for something I'd enjoy more.

HEMI57 10-07-2011 07:00 PM

well, solved my issue.... got out of work and stopped at a car dealer... ended up buying a 2012 GTI and got a great deal on the Jeep as a trade. Thanks for everyone's input and advice but I'm moving on from the Jeep scene.