Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Possible oil leak?? Anybody? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/possible-oil-leak-anybody-29453.html)

Blueflame1979 10-07-2011 08:27 PM

Possible oil leak?? Anybody?

What's that metal plate under the Jeep, to the right of the transmission oil pan, near the front passenger side. Is it the skid plate? Because it's Wet, from what looks like oil. Can't tell what kind of oil cause it's dirty.

Crestwood1001 10-08-2011 12:38 AM

Re: Possible oil leak?? Anybody?

Skid plate, when you change the oil shit gets on it, as long as your levels ok I wouldnt worry.

Blueflame1979 10-08-2011 02:29 AM

That's the thing, about a month ago I had the transmission oil changed by a mechanic, when I took it home I looked under and noticed it was leaking transmission fluid from where the skid plate is located. I took it right back and the mechanic was at lunch and another one took a look and told me not to worry that the other mechanic had adjusted something the way it wasn't supposed to that it wasn't actually a leak but rather some fluid was still draining.

So today I checked all fluid levels and noticed that the transmission fluid was off. I checked it like the wk manual said. Only thing I let my car warm up in idle, I went through all the gears and then to make sure, I took it around the block and it was still off. I don't know if I should have driven for longer that's why it gave me a false reading. But I just found it weird that it the fluid was off and it would still be damped down there. Today Im going to drive it for a while after work to see what it says. What do you think?

4.whoa 10-08-2011 04:31 AM

You could take the skidplates off, spray everything down,&check it after a good ride. I pull my skids for the summer(no off roading for me) the bolts are most likely dirty/rusty so spray them with wd40 or similar 1st. If its leaking you'll get a better view with them off anyway.

Crashtown 10-08-2011 10:16 AM

Can't help. I haven't seen the underside of the 4.7. My 5.7 has engine, T-case, & fuel skids.

suzieque 10-08-2011 10:26 AM

there is a known problem with a plug on the transmission housing, I believe its a place with a sensor is located. pretty common failure point, had it replaced on mine in the spring.

Crestwood1001 10-08-2011 02:15 PM

Yea, take the skid off and spray everything down with brake cleaner and wipe it clean, take it for a good drive and see if anythings left, mine just got real dirty and stuff build up on it from oil changes, no leaks here. Is the fluid red or dark?

Crashtown 10-08-2011 02:29 PM

Leave the skid off for a while and see if any puddles appear.

05WK 10-08-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 495937)
there is a known problem with a plug on the transmission housing, I believe its a place with a sensor is located. pretty common failure point, had it replaced on mine in the spring.

X2

Blueflame1979 10-08-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 495859)
You could take the skidplates off, spray everything down,&check it after a good ride. I pull my skids for the summer(no off roading for me) the bolts are most likely dirty/rusty so spray them with wd40 or similar 1st. If its leaking you'll get a better view with them off anyway.

Thanx that sounds like a good idea, I will do that. I wish I had a garage to work in cause I would do everything if not most of things on my own and have the confidence that it's done right. I just found it weird that Transmission fluid would be flowing down from it the day I got my transmission fluid changed. Even everything was fine the following day. I took it for a ride today and checked the tranny fluid and it was alittle lower than what I remember it to be, so I filled it up and Ima do that suggestion and take the skid plate off. Cause I looked underneath when I was checking the fluid but most of the part o. The skid plate that was covered with oil? Had dirt on it.

Bleeding Blue 10-09-2011 08:14 AM

Not to hijack, but is the skid plate even needed if I dont do any off roading? I was considering removing it for some of the above reasons....

4.whoa 10-09-2011 09:00 AM

No,they arent needed, however, i like them in the winter 'cause you could end up off road.:eek:
I had my trany serviced at the dealer, and a day or2 later,was getting my wheels balanced, so while it was in the air I was looking it over and.......it was leeking. I didnt notice it in the garage, cause my xj leeks a bit. Anyway, the dealer " bumped" something when putting the pan back in so the rtv(no gasket) didnt seal.