Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   How do I install new window moldings? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/how-do-i-install-new-window-moldings-29487.html)

jvs0302 10-08-2011 09:27 PM

How do I install new window moldings?

I am replacing the black window moldings with the OEM chrome pieces. How do you remove the stock moldings? Any tricks, or just pry them off...dont want to break any clips if they have to be reused.

I know the rear quarter glass is a different story.

Thanks

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-08-2011 10:19 PM

Re: How do I install new window moldings?

pretty sure they just pull off, it would most likely be easiest to remove the inner door panels. you will need new rear windows though

Scottina06 10-08-2011 10:26 PM

you will have to pull the front mirrors to get the front door moldings off. But for the back windows...just grab them and pull up. Same with fronts once you get the mirrors off

nighthawk306 10-08-2011 10:34 PM

like mentioned, youll need a new rear WINDOW. no replacement trim. they sell kits on ebay to go over the rubber which you would likely wind up doing for the rear. or get the oem door strips and get the kit to just use for the rear. i got all 4 door trims in chrome for $130 shipped.

jvs0302 10-08-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 496188)
you will have to pull the front mirrors to get the front door moldings off. But for the back windows...just grab them and pull up. Same with fronts once you get the mirrors off

Scott if I have the short front door moldings, would I still need to pull the mirror?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighthawk306 (Post 496190)
like mentioned, youll need a new rear WINDOW. no replacement trim. they sell kits on ebay to go over the rubber which you would likely wind up doing for the rear. or get the oem door strips and get the kit to just use for the rear. i got all 4 door trims in chrome for $130 shipped.

Thats exactly my plan. I am going to buy the 4 OEM trims from j4j.com, and buy the ebay kit just for the rear quarter glass pieces. No way in hell Im replacing a whole window just for that chrome piece.

Scottina06 10-08-2011 10:56 PM

well...you can just loosen the mirror...thats what i always do. just loosen the front door panel by removeing the 3 screws. Then slip your fingers under the panel and pop it loose. That will give you access to the mirror bolts.

DAVY27 10-09-2011 10:21 PM

shit man, i think me,scott and Mike are the only ones that replaced it lolol.

Can you get just the rear quarter glass trim from ebay?( one of mine if a little bent) Isnt it $130 for all 6 pieces?