Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mile Indicator When Fuel Low (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mile-indicator-when-fuel-low-29500.html)

At Law 10-09-2011 10:46 AM

Mile Indicator When Fuel Low

I have looked for an indicator showing how many miles are left with regard to fuel left in the tank.

Does anyone know where this is found?

Thank you.

Tom

sined240 10-09-2011 10:52 AM

Re: Mile Indicator When Fuel Low

Yes, it is in the EVIC under fuel economy.

DrLocke 10-09-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by At Law (Post 496332)
I have looked for an indicator showing how many miles are left with regard to fuel left in the tank.

Does anyone know where this is found?

Thank you.

Tom

I have an '04 WJ. My "Miles Til Empty" message is in my EVIC. I have always wondered how accurate it is.
I can't compare my Gas Gauge and my EVIC as there is no referance. When the low fuel light comes on my EVIC says 14 miles til empty. I have so far been lucky enough not to run out of gas. Knock on wood.

Eurosport 10-09-2011 11:29 AM

light comes on really early, there's A LOT left when it turns on, something like 4 gallons...tested it with gauge needle below the last line barely touching at highest part.

TurboDiesel 10-09-2011 12:12 PM

thats okay when mind says i got 40kms left
anything lower than that it just says "low fuel" then u start to panic lol
i like to have a number! alltho i rarely run it to the bottom of the tank

i hear thats bad lol

Ron98GT 10-09-2011 12:54 PM

After my fuel fell below 3 gal., the DTE quit working. Don't know if this was a fluke because of the starting/stopping in town and if I was on the highway it would keep displaying the DTE?

Deception 10-09-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron98GT (Post 496406)
After my fuel fell below 3 gal., the DTE quit working. Don't know if this was a fluke because of the starting/stopping in town and if I was on the highway it would keep displaying the DTE?

My Mitsubishi did the same thing, except it did it when it was at 1/8th of a tank, which was much more annoying

Gold Rat Tooth 10-13-2011 01:40 AM

My DTE was @ 36 miles,then went to LOW FUEL. Why doesn't it keep track below 30 miles?

ColdCase 10-13-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Rat Tooth (Post 498240)
My DTE was @ 36 miles,then went to LOW FUEL. Why doesn't it keep track below 30 miles?

Probably because the programers don't have enough convidence in the accuracy or either the DTE or sensor. Probably believe its better to error on the side that avoids running out of gas. Why do fuel guages read empty when there is a couple gallons left? but then go a couple clicks below empty?

ColdCase 10-13-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron98GT (Post 496406)

No it will stop displaying DTE when the DTE threshold is reached. The computation is based on recent mpg, not since reset, so on the highway the mpg is higher, and the DTE calculation may move above the threshold and be displayed.

Uncle Paul 10-13-2011 12:11 PM

Play this game to many times, and you are going to be caught out.

When the light comes on, pull into the next gas station and fill up.

Takes a bunch of stress out of your life.

Gauges are not precise, mileage varies, and fuel consumption depends on a bunch of variables. DTE displays are only an estimate.

Terminator2 10-13-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurosport (Post 496356)
light comes on really early, there's A LOT left when it turns on, something like 4 gallons...tested it with gauge needle below the last line barely touching at highest part.

Mine turns on at 40 miles to empty. I had ~2 gallons in the tank (took 22 gallons to fill it) so it seems dead on. My 02 4.7 Dakota's low fuel light came on when there was 6.0-6.5 gallons left in the tank. :lol: