Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Build quality, construction and reliability of new generation WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/build-quality-construction-and-reliability-of-new-generation-wk2-29526.html)

TaxiDriver 10-09-2011 09:56 PM

Build quality, construction and reliability of new generation WK2

How is the build quality of the current WK2 generation? And how is the predicted reliability of the new WK2, from the research you guys have done? I have tried to find the predicted reliability, but are all over the place.

I am looking to get back into American engineering -had a ZJ with tons of minor problems, and was a headache to own. Friends have had WJs with better repair history, but still certain parts failing that I would not expect until at least 120k miles or even much longer. Have owned Acuras up til now with minimal service and great build quality, but like I said, really looking to get back into buying an American car for something different.

Lingohocken 10-09-2011 11:47 PM

Re: Build quality, construction and reliability of new generation WK2

http://www.truedelta.com/repair_hist...&session_code=

JRoll1ns 10-10-2011 01:34 AM

It appears that at least for the '11 models that you either buy one that is really good like mine or really bad. I don't know if I lucked out because mine is a later build date 05/11 or what, but so far I have had none of the issues with air pumps going bad or leaky sun roof or bad radio or any of that.

AAAA 10-10-2011 07:06 AM

Go to any vehicle's public forum and you will see more problems than praise. After all, problem resolution is one of the major reasons that forums exist.
My Limited has 10,200 miles and has had no problems (knock on genuine imitiation wood trim).

MikeD 10-10-2011 09:11 AM

Mine has a build date of 4/8/11 and I have had more issues in 6 months than almost 5 years in my '06 SRT8. I'm taking it in today for rattles in the driver door and steering column. Also throttle response is horrible, there is a clunk everytime I take off from a stop that is apparently normal, the transmission surges and then clunks into gear and random times. I have had no issues with pump's or electronics just overall build quality is not the greatest. I've bought Chrysler's for the past 16 years and love the company but I actually plan on getting rid of it within the next 6 months.

moosehead 10-10-2011 09:50 AM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...isfaction+poll

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...isfaction+poll

FWIW, zero issues here on Sept 10 build.

webspoke 10-10-2011 10:02 AM

Mine was a Nov '10 build, now at almost 23k miles. and it has been completely reliable, and build quality has been very good to excellent.

TaxiDriver 10-10-2011 07:07 PM

Hopefully, some of these problems are due to being a first model year in a new generation.

Some of those repair rates on TrueDelta for the 2011 model is atrocious, especially comparing it to the Acura MDX, Toyota 4Runner.

jp467 10-10-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 496775)
Mine has a build date of 4/8/11 and I have had more issues in 6 months than almost 5 years in my '06 SRT8. I'm taking it in today for rattles in the driver door and steering column. Also throttle response is horrible, there is a clunk everytime I take off from a stop that is apparently normal, the transmission surges and then clunks into gear and random times. I have had no issues with pump's or electronics just overall build quality is not the greatest. I've bought Chrysler's for the past 16 years and love the company but I actually plan on getting rid of it within the next 6 months.

You have all the same issues as me. I get that bump when taking off from a stop and I have a rattle sometimes in the steering colum( which I think is a result of all road inperfections that get transmitted through the steering shaft) my passenger seat headrest rattles at times and I have a rattle sometimes in the drivers door speaker area. I had the compressor for the air suspension replaced when I first got it. I had the left rear axle shaft replaced twice due to leaking grease. I had the intermediate shaft replaced once before the tsb came out. I am thinking about getting the intermediate shaft replaced again with the new one with the green dot. Thats all I can think of for now. Other than these issues I love the vehicle.

Lingohocken 10-10-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaxiDriver (Post 497091)
Hopefully, some of these problems are due to being a first model year in a new generation.

Some of those repair rates on TrueDelta for the 2011 model is atrocious, especially comparing it to the Acura MDX, Toyota 4Runner.

TrueDelta is about to start accepting data for the 2012 model year, and a number of JG folks help out by participating. This suggests there should be 2012 repair data to look over early next year.

Chrysler is still Chrysler, not one of the Asian firms generally known for exceptional QA and freedom from difficulties. But otherwise the GC is one heck of a vehicle, light years more enjoyable and in many ways more attractive than most Asian and European competition.

I pored over JG for over a year, so went in with no misplaced expectations. So far, it's turned out to be what we expected, except better, and we love it.

MikeD 10-10-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 497105)
You have all the same issues as me. I get that bump when taking off from a stop and I have a rattle sometimes in the steering colum( which I think is a result of all road inperfections that get transmitted through the steering shaft) my passenger seat headrest rattles at times and I have a rattle sometimes in the drivers door speaker area. I had the compressor for the air suspension replaced when I first got it. I had the left rear axle shaft replaced twice due to leaking grease. I had the intermediate shaft replaced once before the tsb came out. I am thinking about getting the intermediate shaft replaced again with the new one with the green dot. Thats all I can think of for now. Other than these issues I love the vehicle.

I spoke to the service tech today and he was saying Chrysler told him to run the Jeep in 2wd and was the bump still there on takeoff, he said no and Chrysler stated it was normal and due to the front wheels engaging. Also they are replacing my entire steering column due to a rattle and looseness in the steering, I'm done with this car and canceling my extended service contract and getting something else. I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of my Grand especially when all my older Chrysler products have been very good.

jp467 10-11-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 497223)
I spoke to the service tech today and he was saying Chrysler told him to run the Jeep in 2wd and was the bump still there on takeoff, he said no and Chrysler stated it was normal and due to the front wheels engaging. Also they are replacing my entire steering column due to a rattle and looseness in the steering, I'm done with this car and canceling my extended service contract and getting something else. I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of my Grand especially when all my older Chrysler products have been very good.

Did you still have looseness in the steering after the intermediate shaft replacement?