Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Tire and Lift Question....I know I know (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/tire-and-lift-question-i-know-i-know-29527.html)

09RiverRock 10-09-2011 10:04 PM

Tire and Lift Question....I know I know

OK, I just ordered the BB lift from RC and I'm looking for some final info. I'm planning on buying Silent Armors in 255-70-17s. Now the question is this:
Will this size with the 2 in lift fit without spacers, without trimming the bolt, and without performing the pinch mod?

I've done searching and I found someone who said it did, but that was some time ago and I wanted to be sure. I don't want to go too wide or tall because I spend most of my time on highways and when I do go "offroad" it's for camping and hiking. I want that extra room to go over fallen logs and other debris that I've normally come accross in my travels.

Also, is there any way a sticky can be made with common lift questions? Tire sizes with associated lifts, etc. Or at least have one with that pertains to the most common RC lift. It seems like there are tons of questions related but they're scattered among the forum topics.

Thanks!

DaBigBone 10-10-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Tire and Lift Question....I know I know

You should be fine. I believe you only need the pinch weld/spacers with 265+

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Crestwood1001 10-10-2011 11:30 AM

I have that exact setup with fire stone destination a/t's. I had to cut the bolts to prevent rubbing on them, and I do get a tiny amount of rubbing on the fender liner on full lock, but its just the slightest bit, I do plan on getting spacers though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

09RiverRock 10-10-2011 06:03 PM

What size spacer do you plan on going with? Are you going a full 1.5 or just something to clear the bolt?

Crestwood1001 10-11-2011 09:04 AM

bradley4kc 10-11-2011 09:37 AM

The silent armor 255/70/17's are 31.1" diam. and have an 11" section width. 265/70/17's are about 1/2 inch taller but slightly narrower. I can't speak for the 255's but with the set-up I installed there was no way getting around spacers. With 1.5" spacers I sit nicely outside the bolt on 265's and have very slight rub at full lock in reverse. I haven't taken it wheelin yet as I just installed last Friday so I don't know if the p/w is gonna be necessary. As far as on road I definately don't see a need for the p/w with my set-up. The way I see it, there is such little difference between the two I would just figure you'll need either spacers or bolt/pw modification.
The silent armors also don't have the aggresive shoulders, though, so that might keep you off the bolt.
IMO, if you are going taller - I think you'd like the wider stance anyway.

Crestwood1001 10-11-2011 10:43 AM

My tires have an aggressive shoulder which is what rubs the inner well on full lock, with the spacers ill be fine, but I also cut the bolt

AcidCold 10-11-2011 05:53 PM

255's can fit without a lift and without spacers with no rubbing. Having a small lift and spacers should obviously fit with no problems.

NorthNJwk 10-11-2011 06:36 PM

I have 255/60R18's without rubbing or any other problems..

09RiverRock 10-12-2011 10:01 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, I was waiting for some feedback before I bought the tires this week.

christiang26 10-31-2011 03:07 PM

i have some 265/70/17 with minor rubbing

09RiverRock 11-01-2011 11:57 PM

So based on my original question, I bought the Silent Armors in 255-70-17s and I can confirm that they do fit with the RC 2 in lift fit without spacers, without trimming the bolt, and without performing the pinch mod. As far as the pavement is concerned, there is zero rubbing at full lock in either direction and my eyeball says there's about 1/2 inch between everything. I haven't been out on bumpy dirt roads yet, maybe I'll hit some local areas for a quick test this weekend, but I believe it should be good enough not to hit or rub at all. The width of the tire sits almost perfectly with the wheel well, which is what I was looking for.

There is a little rattle on the right rear, and I thought it was coming from something loose inside the hatch area, but there wasn't anything moving around. I triple-checked all nuts and bolts, I even had the shop re-check everything for me when they swapped the tires. They said everything looked good.

I think someone else had this issue, any thoughts before I jack it up tomorrow?

It looks great and I'll get some pics when tomorrow when it's daylight.