Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Have an SRT Exhaust, Now What? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/have-an-srt-exhaust-now-what-2956.html)

TimmyB 09-29-2009 04:10 PM

Have an SRT Exhaust, Now What?

Finally got my hands on a used SRT8 exhaust set-up, pipes and resinators w/out the muffler which I didnt want. Before anyone says take it to a shop and have it done, I want to do it myself. I want to delete the muffler altogether and just run the SRT parts. So now what, I need a 2.5"ID in/ 2.75"ID dual out 'Y" pipe and a section of 2.5"ID pipe and some clamps im thinking, and also two hangers for the resinators. Do they sell stainless steel pipe local or is online my best bet to buy it?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC02083.jpg

TimmyB 09-29-2009 04:30 PM

Re: Have an SRT Exhaust, Now What?

Right now i have a Magnaflow SS catback exhaust that im happy with sound wise but I want my my WK to look really good and i think having a dual exhaust out the back will do it. I have the Laredo bumper so I think I will need to work on the exhaust tips height back there to make it look good. I was thinking of getting the trailer hitch bezel and cutting the bumper, but now looking at it i was wondering if I can cut out the bumper smaller and install a basic black trim instead. Im going to attempt the install saturday, so any ideas would be helpful.

Scottina06 09-29-2009 05:24 PM

your gonna have to buy a y pipe since your 3.7 is a single system and you will have to convert it to the dual SRT system. You will also have to have 2 hangers welded onto the rear frame rail to hang the rear tips from. I have pics in the WK section on how to add an srt system to a non srt wk. Its a sticky

dreamer1213 09-29-2009 07:20 PM

Shoot Timmy...I know it would be awesome if you could do it yourself...but you're gonna save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you just take it to muffler shop, and have the fab up the y-pipe for you, weld the hangers in place and all that good stuff...I know its not what you wanted to hear....just my thoughts...

TimmyB 09-29-2009 07:26 PM

I did see a magnaflow Y pipe online that id at least want to get, then maybe bring it all to a shop and see what they tell me for a price.

TimmyB 09-29-2009 07:28 PM

Dam I want this thing on right now, to see how it sounds. Hope it sounds good without a muffler. I cant believe how much crap i have already stocked in my basement to keep when I ever do sell this car and change it back to stock. Ughhh

Matt 09-29-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 69665)
I did see a magnaflow Y pipe online that id at least want to get, then maybe bring it all to a shop and see what they tell me for a price.

A shop won't charge much to fab up a Y pipe for ya... at least around here they won't. Plus, it will for sure fit and won't run the risk of not fitting if you purchase online. You should compare prices at least.

Matt 09-29-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 69668)
Dam I want this thing on right now, to see how it sounds. Hope it sounds good without a muffler. I cant believe how much crap i have already stocked in my basement to keep when I ever do sell this car and change it back to stock. Ughhh

In my experience, a muffler-less system sounds "out of control", if you will. Just from one experience, so take it however you'd like.

Denny boy 09-29-2009 07:35 PM

DIY its not hard it's easier with a welder but you can do it with out it. you can have a shop weld the hangers in place. you'll need those done out of house but that would be it.

TimmyB 09-29-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny boy (Post 69678)
DIY its not hard it's easier with a welder but you can do it with out it. you can have a shop weld the hangers in place. you'll need those done out of house but that would be it.

Dam, FINALLY someone wih the same mentality as me!!! haha. I am going to take it to a shop I went to before where they charged me 50 bucks to install this magnaflow I have on now, but if its over 100 im going to do it myself.

And the Stainless steel magnaflow Y pipe I keep seeing online is about 26 bucks w/free shipping on amazon.com. Im not familiar with exhaust shops, do they usually carry stainless steel pipes and weld them? I want all stainless, even saw some stainless steel clamps I was going to buy.

LipschitzWrath 09-29-2009 08:02 PM

Dude, total bummer. I threw my exhaust in the trash when I put my stainlessworks on. It had less than 1000 miles on it. I would have given it to someone for $100 if they would have paid for shipping.

I didn't think anyone actually wanted those things.

LipschitzWrath 09-29-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 69673)
In my experience, a muffler-less system sounds "out of control", if you will. Just from one experience, so take it however you'd like.

+1 on the outta control. Timmy, I dunno if you've ever been around an SRT (i'm sure you have) when they get on it, but the stock exhaust is not to BFW. And that's with mufflers AND resonators. Hell, even my stainlessworks 3" has mufflers and resonators. Only thing is mine doesn't have cats. And it sounds BADASS! Livable when you're just driving around, but when you get on it, all hell breaks loose.

IMHO, the resonators smoothe out your tone, but they do little to quiet it. TBH, I'm excited to hear what your 6 sounds like w/o a muffler. LOL, it'll probably be so throaty that it will make my SRT go run to the corner and piss itself.