Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Worked On My WJ Today (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/worked-on-my-wj-today-29561.html)

uniquetreatone 10-10-2011 07:44 PM

Worked On My WJ Today

Today I was bored & it was warm so I decided to install my front sway bar since I'm so impatient & can't wait for the rear sway bar to get here. First I would like to say that the hardest part to me was removing that plastic cover that covers the bolts where the brackets with the brushings are. I tried everything from a screwdriver & pliers to a metal thing that I usually use to take the fasteners off the door. Nothing worked except that I popped 2 of the heads off. Frustrated,I just yanked it off & drunk a few beers to relax. The bolts wasn't any problem with a cordless impact wrench & some on blaster. After I took it off,my son greased the new brushings for me and to me it seemed he greased the whole damn bar too. He passed it to me while I was under the truck & it slid right out my hand. So I cursed him out & he disappeared,leaving me with a heavy addco bar to install. When I finally finished,my wife said the ups guy dropped of the bilstein hd shocks so I decided to put the on. The rear shocks were really easy. The first one I just push it up into place and slid the bolt in. I guess it took most of my strength because when I did the other side I was pushing & screaming like I was in a strong man contest. Mind you one time I did try to use the jack the lift the shock up but I was always too slow to slip the bolt through before it slid back down. After I put both of the front shocks on & was tightening the last top bolt on the driver's side shock my wife decided she wanted to help. What a bad idea!!! I gave her the wrench & the socket to tighten it up & started cleaning up. Next thing I hear is the wrench spinning & her screaming ,damn honey come here! She managed to strip the head of the shock & lose the wrench under the truck. So before I could say anything she just put the tools down & left. Now I told her every day for the next couple of months she has to open the hood & turn it a few times with a wrench & some vise grips until its tighten all the way. Tomorrow I'll just get my son to hold the bottom with some vise grips & I'll tighten it from the top. All in all,I had a pretty good day but I didn't have a chance to even drive it yet.

TJXJWJ 10-10-2011 07:52 PM

Re: Worked On My WJ Today

You're going to love the way it feels now...guaranteed....

uniquetreatone 10-10-2011 08:12 PM

I forgot I volunteered for the overnight shift for the holiday so I should get a chance to see how it feels later on. I know once I install the rear sway bar it should feel like new. Thanks to reading everyone's input concerning installation everything was a breeze except that plastic piece:o. When I install the rear sway bar, I guess I'll pull out my grease gun & do the ball joints. Is there anything else to grease?

Amelie 10-10-2011 08:17 PM

Damn, I'm jealous now lol. I still need to get a pair of the Bilsteins lol

uniquetreatone 10-17-2011 04:38 PM

Question for anyone that replaced their front sway bar,did you re-install the plastic skid piece or left it off? I broke off 2 of the heads of those rubber push-pull pins so I'll probably have to drill it out. I still don't understand why the tool I had wouldn't get them out without breaking them.

TJXJWJ 10-17-2011 06:36 PM

I didn't take mine out! I guess it's too late to recommend that you leave it on. It got in the way a little but not enough that it wasn't worth removing. Good luck with it! I'm pretty sure you can find replacements (or something that is comparable) at the local Zone or Advanced.

GrandHero 10-17-2011 09:07 PM

GrandHero

When I installed my front sway bar, I removed my skid plate, that was the easy part. Re-installing it was easy as well. For the hard part I also installed prothane bushings on the sway bar end links. The front kit included prothane bushings for the bar. I was impressed with these because they had groves cut criss cross in the bushings for grease. Addco's did not. The biggest problem was on the right side of bar were it attaches to the end link was bent just enough where the bolt hole did not line up. Off 1/6th of an inch. I had to disconnect the drivers side keep every thing loose fit tell I was able to get the bolt hole to line up. And did the cuss words fly. Even invented some new ones. I have a question, did you say your skid plate was plastic or did I miss read your post? Because mine is steel.

uniquetreatone 10-18-2011 03:48 PM

The piece I'm talking about is plastic. I'm just going to drill the rubber pins out and replace them. I'll most likely do it when I install the rear sway bar later this week.