Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   tranny problem? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tranny-problem-29565.html)

MattyDipps 10-10-2011 09:12 PM

tranny problem?

okay so i just got my jeep not even 3 weeks ago and as i was backing out of my driveway an hour ago i went to tap the gas and it felt like the tranny locked up and bam the car comes to a hault ... the bam was so loud my sister ran outside and thought i smashed someone... i put her in park and turned it off and got out to check and make sure my tranny wasnt on the ground got back in started her up and put it in reverse and she worked like a charm ... i called the dealer and its still under warentee so its going down tomorrow but can anyone chime in on what could possibly be wrong ?

i heard of the 06s having a tranny recall where the tranny wont enguage into gear in the cold but when i called the dealer before this problem they told me there was no recall ?

mjl2610 10-10-2011 09:20 PM

Re: tranny problem?

I am not too sure what locked up trans. means. However, in response to your question, there is a technical service bulletin that was issued from Chrysler about delayed trans. engagement. There was a new thread earlier today asking about it as well as a few others on the site related to the delayed engagement issue. http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=29528 If you want to give us more information we may be able to better help guide you in the right direction about what you experienced with your transmission.

mrtosh 10-10-2011 11:57 PM

Depends a lot on the tranny. What engine do you have? That thread is in reference to the 5-45 RFE found behind the 4.7/5.7.

MattyDipps 10-11-2011 09:17 PM

3.7 motor could it possibly be transfer case? car is currently running and driving fine just every so often it does this ... last time it was bad tho it sounded like shattered glass all over the floor ... S****y dealer wont take me in until thursday and with no loaner so .. awesome

mrtosh 10-11-2011 10:36 PM

Not too familiar w/that trans but it could be TC related..

GratefulDeadWK 10-12-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyDipps (Post 497666)
3.7 motor could it possibly be transfer case? car is currently running and driving fine just every so often it does this ... last time it was bad tho it sounded like shattered glass all over the floor ... S****y dealer wont take me in until thursday and with no loaner so .. awesome

by locked up you mean you had it in drive and you couldn't move the vehicle? This tranny is a Mercedes Transmission and sometimes makes a loud thunk if you shift gears without being completely stopped and also will do it sometimes if you make it do a hard up-shift (flooring it and then lifting quick for example)

MattyDipps 10-12-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulDeadWK (Post 497805)
by locked up you mean you had it in drive and you couldn't move the vehicle? This tranny is a Mercedes Transmission and sometimes makes a loud thunk if you shift gears without being completely stopped and also will do it sometimes if you make it do a hard up-shift (flooring it and then lifting quick for example)

i had it in reverse and it was rolling backwards but as i went to gas it up a little bit pulling out of my driveway it completly froze it stopped on a dime and it felt like all the gears in the tranny came to a complete stop i could feel the tranny moving

GratefulDeadWK 10-12-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyDipps (Post 497872)
i had it in reverse and it was rolling backwards but as i went to gas it up a little bit pulling out of my driveway it completly froze it stopped on a dime and it felt like all the gears in the tranny came to a complete stop i could feel the tranny moving

Wow that sounds bad. Keep us updated.

mjl2610 10-12-2011 07:06 PM

That does not sound good, hope the dealer takes care of you on this one.