Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Adaptive cruise adjustment? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/adaptive-cruise-adjustment-29575.html)

kaflyboy 10-11-2011 07:44 AM

Adaptive cruise adjustment?

Does anyone know know of an adjustment for the adaptive cruise? It seems to be very "jerky" on the interstate. Hard acceleration and hard braking. My dad has an infinity with the adaptive cruise and it's so much smoother.

Deserthucker 10-11-2011 08:14 AM

Re: Adaptive cruise adjustment?

On setting 1 it is jerky but I found 2 and 3 smooth.

kaflyboy 10-11-2011 08:50 AM

I have found, even with setting 1, there is too much distance between the car in front of me. Other vehicles jump between the car in front of me and my car then adaptive cc slams on the brakes.

ColdCase 10-11-2011 10:48 AM

Thats true, when the car in front is going slow and the distance opens up, you need to override the cruise by applying your own throttle or cancel cruise and manually adjust your speed. Adaptive cruise is not designed or intended for high trafic conditions, where cars may be cutting you off and switching lanes routinely. The JGC may be calibrated a tad more conservative than others, but not that much.

CrazyJ 10-11-2011 11:28 AM

I find myself hitting the cancel and resume buttons frequently. If you let the Jeep manage it, it brakes for way too long, at which point you're going 15mph slower than the car in front of you, and then it floors the throttle to catch back up.

BuckeyeSRT 10-11-2011 12:35 PM

I found that it is not the best way to increase MPG. :)

jgc4ever 10-11-2011 01:22 PM

Happy I saved the money and won't get this option.

fireron 10-11-2011 02:33 PM

No problems here. I would buy it again and feel it is worth the money when taken as a package. No one has consistently good reaction times as there are too many distractions available to the human body from emotional situations, radios, cell phone, upset children, pets and on and on. The ACC consistently performs in sudden and unexpected situations. Just an opinion.

Snipe315 10-11-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 497431)

I'm the opposite.

After reading most of the comments about ACC (almost all positive), I went ahead and made sure my WK2 had this option.

I used it for the first time this weekend and LOVE IT. :cool:

I set it for the minimum distance and it did a great job maintaining that distance. The acceleration was no harder than I would do myself (I don't drive like a little old lady) and the braking was also fine.

The distance at the minimum setting was just over 1 car length and I found it just right given the speed at the time (70+ Mph).

Deception 10-11-2011 03:49 PM

The ACC on the Jeep is amazing, you have to understand that it isn't supposed to be perfect, but supposed to make the driver's job a little easier. Just know that if you notice someone cutting you off, you can override by putting your foot on the throttle. That should stop the rough braking and save gas MPG.

ColdCase 10-11-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 497431)

Why do you say that? It is an expensive option but works extremely well. Only you know the situation where there is potential for cut off, and if it bothers you. If you want to take the trouble, just override.

My only grip is it takes over the digital MPH display when you override. So I usually just hit the cancel button in traffic, and hit the resume when out on the more open road, no fuss, and nicely done.

jgc4ever 10-11-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 497518)
Why do you say that? It is an expensive option but works extremely well. Only you know the situation where there is potential for cut off, and if it bothers you. If you want to take the trouble, just override.

My only grip is it takes over the digital MPH display when you override. So I usually just hit the cancel button in traffic, and hit the resume when out on the more open road, no fuss, and nicely done.

Because I need constant control of my driving in most cases as I try to never drive in someone's blind spot or let someone stay in my blind spot, and I don't want even on the closest setting for someone to be able to cut in front of me unless I'm giving them ample room. Just my preference. The yellow triangle blind spot warnings are cool/helpful though.