Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Acceleration Problem

85K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  JarodWJeep 
#1 ·
i have a 2000 jeep WJ 4.0 V6 and i'm noticing im having sluggish acceleration and sometimes delayed. I will hit about 2500 RPMs and my car will barely gain speed and after a 2 or 3 second delay it will start to go. Anyone know what the deal is or how to fix this?

#3 ·
How's your jeep on its maintenance? Clean air filter? Clean throttle body? Plugs and wires been done recently?

#5 ·
Does it feel like if the engine doesn´t have power, or does it seem to be more tranny related?
If it is the engine itself, i would check the plugs/air filter and change the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
I had some sluggish acceleration at highway speeds and after changing the filter/regulator my problem was gone. It can still be something else like dirty fuel injectors or a fuel pump which is going bad.

#6 ·
Just remove the air inlet tube, and open the butterfly...if you've never done it, it's probably due for a cleaning. I've also experienced power loss from a bad converter. Once those things clog up, they KILL your power.

#7 ·
i removed the air inlet and everything seemed to be clean... but sometimes when i come to a complete stop at either a stop sign or red light and i step on the gas it takes about 2 seconds for the car to move. I also notice slow acceleration from 5 mph to about 35 mph and than it seems to be okay after around 40 i hope its an easy fix :)

#8 ·
Did you open the butterfly and look behind it? That's usually where you'll find da funk.

No check engine light, right?

#11 · (Edited)
The problem is that I haven't yet lol. But I kept getting the following error codes:

Scan Code:

P1757

P1762 (M)

DRB Scan Tool Display:

GOV Press Not Equal to Target @ 15-20 PSI

Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Volts Too Low or High

Description of Diagnostic Trouble Code:

The requested pressure and the actual pressure are not within a tolerance band for the Governor Control System which is used to regulate governor pressure to control shifts for 1st 2nd and 3rd gear (Zero Pressure Malfunction).

Sensor input greater or less than calibration for 3 consecutive Neutral/Park occurrences (4-speed auto. trans. only).

So the fix to my problem is to replace both the Governor Pressure Sensor and Governor Pressure Solenoid. I'm not sure if one is just bad or both but it is recommended to replace both at the same time.

This is a pretty good guide I found about replacing them and what they look like.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...or-pressure-sensor-solenoid-write-up-1182260/

#12 · (Edited)
So when you put your foot on the accelerator, does the engine rev up without proper acceleration, or the engine itself doesn't increase revs? You did say before that with engine rev at 2500, that there is almost no acceleration. And what if you try to accelerate more? Does the engine rev up more?
Is the tranny shifting gears normally? It could be for example that it doesn't go into first gear but direct into 2nd or 3rd.

#13 ·
the engine revs without proper acceleration. when i press down on the accelerator it feels sluggish and i notice its not as powerful as it use to be. i press on the gas and it revs to about 2000-2200 rpm but its slow to increase speed. It could be that its skipping first gear.. i only notice the problem really from 0- to about 35 mph. but like i said sometimes at dead stops like a stop sign theres sometimes a delay when i step on the gas of about 2-3 seconds before moving.

#14 ·
But when you try to accelerate faster, does the engine rev higher and does it make any difference on the acceleration?
When you put the tranny in 1 or 2 and not in Drive, does that make any difference?

#19 ·
Well guys i got my problem fixed:D i took the jeep to my mechanic today and he said my throttle cable was stretched out really far and my throttle body was dirty. He installed a new throttle cable and cleaned the body. After a test drive it was back to new acceleration was back to normal. Just happy it was that easy of a fix! thanks guys

#25 ·
I don't know if my problem is the same but it takes a while it the it to start up and when it does it spudders a bit some like a v6 rather than a v8 and acceleration is not the same it will slow down then drive normal but with the exhaust spudders, I open the hood no noises coming from motor idles fine what you guys think it could be

#26 ·
Low fuel pressure? I would start changing the fuel filter/regulator or if you have a fuel pressure indicator, measure the pressure at the right fuel rail (seen from drivers seat) You could do a quick check and push the schrader valve on the right fuel rail after priming once (no start and engine cold, to prevent a fire), the fuel should come out under a high pressure.

#28 ·
Welcome to the garage.
Did you check for fault codes using the key dance? Ignition switch off/run three times and leave in run at the third time. The odometer will show DONE when no faults, or a fault code(s).

#30 ·
That is strange, because the check engine light on means that the PCM has seen some problem, so it should have saved something in its memory. It did show DONE during the test?