Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Should I upgrade the OEM Michelin Latitudes? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/should-i-upgrade-the-oem-michelin-latitudes-29637.html)

SW03ES 10-12-2011 05:05 PM

Should I upgrade the OEM Michelin Latitudes?

Hey all,

My Jeep has the standard Michelin Latitude Tour tires, I'm a little concerned about some of the posts I've read about their performance and am thinking about upgrading to the LTX MS2. I had the old LTX M/S on an Explorer I had years ago and they were great tires.

Our Jeep will see some snow, we always have some and then I'm anticipating some snowy travel for skiing, etc. As for offroading, all it'll likely ever see is some gravel roads and mild trails, a field or something like that so I don't really see any issues with them from an offroad perspective, but one of the things I specifically wanted for the Jeep is a good vehicle for the snow. Its a Laredo X with QT1.

I'd really like to avoid spending $1,100 on new tires for a brand new vehicle unless it will really improve my experience.

Any thoughts?

andyh 10-12-2011 05:13 PM

Re: Should I upgrade the OEM Michelin Latitudes?

Love your Latitudes. They are a fine tire.

I have zero complaints with the Latitudes.

lkvanbelle 10-12-2011 05:25 PM

For staying on pavement, i agree, although this past weekend I made my first trip out to the Mounds, in Mt. Morris Michigan to get a little dirty. tread gunked up real quick. I think I will need something a little more aggressive to play in.

wjs81866 10-12-2011 05:42 PM

latitudes suck.

get the LTX M/S2's your Jeep will love them. WAY better in snow.

SW03ES 10-12-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far guys...

WJS: I'm sure the LTX MS2 will be better, but are the Latitudes THAT bad? Can you think of a story where even with a big heavy vehicle with a good 4WD system they kept you from being confident in, say, 6-7 inches of snow?

Cherodude 10-12-2011 07:42 PM

I used new Latitudes in 8 inches of snow last year several times with QTII and they worked fine. But that was with new tread and decades of snow driving experience. Will I get buy Latitudes when these wear out (i.e. after two winters)? No. Michelin LTX AT/2s for me.

mr_bots 10-12-2011 09:09 PM

LTX A/T2s on my X with QTII and I really like them. Had M/S on the truck I used to have but wanted something a little more aggressive this time around.

1stJeepGC 10-12-2011 10:03 PM

IMO, the Michelin Latitudes is a quiet and excellent tire to drive around in dry conditions on nice asphalt and concrete roads in the city or highway.

However, when the conditions change from what I described above, then simply stated, it is just pot luck on how the Latitude's will respond especially when the tread depth is 10/32 and the tread block is too small. Therefore, in wet conditions, the tire could become a problem and for the off-roads like wise.

My answer to your question is, yes upgrade. After researching for a better tire, I settled on the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A which I felt it meet my needs. Here is why:

I was looking for a much better tire than the stock on my 2011 Jeep GC. The rep for Michelin suggested that I wait until the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A is released in late Spring. I finally picked my set up in June and boy that was best advice I got.

I can report so far the following after 2 months of use (now 4 months): I have not lost any any MPG. The ride is smoother than I anticipated as if it was a luxury touring tire. Moreover, in wet conditions, the traction holds the road with authority and I am far more comfortable than before. In light off-road conditions on gravel roads, lite mud and wet conditions it has been impressive (Cannot report yet on other off-road conditions). A little noisy on the highway, but, not that bad that after while you forget about it. Finally, I can not wait for the winter to see how the tire performs.

Best for now. :)

johhn14 10-13-2011 07:33 AM

What about for the 20's? Any good tire alternatives while keeping it on the same rim? Not nearly as many options as the smaller shoes.

1stJeepGC 10-13-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johhn14 (Post 498285)
What about for the 20's? Any good tire alternatives while keeping it on the same rim? Not nearly as many options as the smaller shoes.

When I did my research, I know that the dedicated winter tires for this upcoming season was supposed to have additional sizes to cover the 20's on the GC. Norkian Tyres of NA have models.

For other tires, you would have to speak to the manufacture to see if they have a close match that would work. In general the tech departments are very helpful.

Otherwise, the options are for high performance street tires.

Best for now. :)

bromhead 10-13-2011 09:52 AM

"Should I upgrade the OEM Michelin Latitudes?"

YES

On road, Latitudes are fine. That being said, I find it very disappointing that a loaded up 4x4 wk2, with the OFF ROAD adventure group, ships with them. A moderately aggressive AT tire would have been a much better option....

I have less than 1k on my new truck and am already planning on swapping them out...

AAAA 10-13-2011 10:45 AM

Well, if you look at past threads on the subject you will see that I went through the same thoughts as you. My off roading is no more intense than yours and I too was more concerned about snow. While the Latitudes were good on packed snow on paved roads last winter, I never had the opportunity to try anywhere else as I got my JGC at the end of the winter (EO Feb.). I am not an aggressive driver, especially in winter. I did not want the noise or ride of some A/T tires though did consider Goodyear Silent Armor.
Bottom line: got the LTX M/S 2's several weeks ago and so far am very pleased with them. Plus the OWL and slightly more aggressive tread look great on the JGC! Snow is next (but not too soon, please.)