Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Airaid air intake

8K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  bigpanda 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
+1, i was wondering if it was worth it to just extend the Bwoody tube to the Airraid heat shielded and snorkeled filter. That said, perhsps the stock intermediate box is needed for initial air supply vs waiting on small snorkel feed.

#10 ·
You won't hear it with this, either. It maintains the stock tube from the factory. All it does is replace the airbox with a heat-shielded filter element. So, the silencer baffle near the throttle body is still in place. There shouldn't be much of a change in sound at all.

#11 ·
Yeah, for $229, I'm more inclined to buy a factory intake box and hack it up to look like the airraid. Already have a bwoody that I took off. Should be minimal fabricating to hook it into the stock airbox. However, the wife is unlikely to let that project get above the 432 other items on my standing punch list...

#16 ·
I have a slightly different take on the aftermarket shops, in that I am willing to take the first mover risk of trying new products so these businesses continue to produce product for our collective benefit. Sure, it can get expensive sampling everything, but you gotta pick your priorities.

Bwoody is a great example. I understood what a short ram intake was before purchase, and in my case the engine compartment temps aren't as big of an issue given our local climate. I'm a fan of the intake and the links and will continue to support Bwoody as they do the Jeep family.

Meanwhile, like Hasan, I'm scrounging around looking for venting ideas to help mitigate the engine compartment temp issue and hoping the Black Ops will get us a WK2 hood soon. I'm also down with trying the K&N, Air Raid, and Mopar when and if it gets issued.

Also waiting patiently for the Tuner's to crack open the safe.

Carry on.

#23 · (Edited)
Before we get out of control with the torque thing we must remember that an air intake is not designed to work fully on its own. It is meant to be coupled with a high flow exhaust and computer tune for Max performance.

I know that there is no computer tune for the jeep but maybe coupled with the 3.6 Magnaflow exhaust it will increase power even more and get rid of that torque loss at midrange?

I totaly revamped my 1998 Explorer Sport V6 and it did not come all together until I had all three components working for me. With an intake, exhaust, larger throttle body, larger mass air sensor and custom tune I was able to get 50 more hp to the wheels over stock. The air intake was my first mod and all it basically did was increase throttle response and gain about 5hp. Though from my perspective that would be worth it for my Jeep 3.6

Though maybe the jeep engine could be different, recently read where Road and Track swapped out an intake on a Mazda 3 speed and got 27 more hp over stock just from the intake alone?

#24 ·
Before we get out of control with the torque thing we must remember that an air intake is not designed to work fully on its own. It is meant to be coupled with a high flow exhaust and computer tune for Max performance.

I know that there is no computer tune for the jeep but maybe coupled with the 3.6 Magnaflow exhaust it will increase power even more and get rid of that torque loss at midrange?

I totaly revamped my 1998 Explorer Sport V6 and it did not come all together until I had all three components working for me. With an intake, exhaust, larger throttle body, larger mass air sensor and custom tune I was able to get 50 more hp to the wheels over stock. The air intake was my first mod and all it basically did was increase throttle response and gain about 5hp. Though from my perspective that would be worth it for my Jeep 3.6

Though maybe the jeep engine could be different, recently read where Road and Track swapped out an intake on a Mazda 3 speed and got 27 more hp over stock just from the intake alone?
To me CAI is a good option of adding little bit of extra HP while not worrying about warranty issue.

#33 ·
Just emailed them asking what gives and where, when and how much it it is.

I will post as soon as I hear something ... called them and it appears that they only work Monday -Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.