Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Got Key Fob to open Flipper Glass (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/got-key-fob-to-open-flipper-glass-29720.html)

dckcentuar 10-14-2011 10:25 PM

Got Key Fob to open Flipper Glass

As some of you may or not know the flipper glass on key fob was only issued on key fobs with 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokees till Oct of 2010. I was not happy when i got my Jeep and it didn't have the feature. Well today I opened up the key fob and was cleaning it from lint dirt from being in pocket and noticed the key pad had the little disks of metal that were not under the rubber so they can be removed so I decided to take the one off the panic button ( I never use that) and glued it to the lower left key section ( where flipper glass button was) and put it back together and guess what IT WORKED !!!

So Basically in nut shell all of our keys have that feature no buying of new keys or programming it.

I'm searching the web for a replacement Key pad for the remote but no such luck yet just older remotes. hopefully I can find one soon so its labeled and looks just like the older keys. please post if you know where I can get that part for the remote.

king 10-14-2011 10:29 PM

Re: Got Key Fob to open Flipper Glass

I'm someone that didn't know! Thanks! Now all I have to do, is find out what the eff a flipper glass is..... Thanks for nothin....:D

king 10-14-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king (Post 499061)
I'm someone that didn't know! Thanks! Now all I have to find out is what the eff a flicker glass is..... Thanks for nothin....:D

Ok. got it. But my '08 came that way...... so thanks again for another 7 minutes I'm never gettin back.....jk:eek:

dckcentuar 10-14-2011 10:58 PM

HA HA very funny !! There was posts on here a few month back of people wanting this feature if you don't cool.

Sparro 10-14-2011 11:49 PM

But then again this is posted in the WK2 forums and is ment for 2011 and 2012's... not 08's. I appreciate the info.

Dan JGC 10-15-2011 12:55 AM

Cool.....so all ya gotta do is modify the fob so the unlabeled rubber button actually can contact the metal button? Cool.

WoodyCanuck 10-15-2011 09:47 AM

Thats really interesting. :)
Even though I haven't taken possession of my '12 GC yet, I'm going to have a look at the fob to see what you are talking about.

Makes you wonder though.... if the ability is still there to open the flipper glass,
why the heck did they change it (remove the ability)??? :confused:
There must be a reason.

JETLIFE 10-15-2011 10:17 AM

Most likely because people will hit the button while in a store or at work etc. and have the glass open all day. Not a feature I would want on a remote.

KuroHouou 10-15-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETLIFE (Post 499145)
Most likely because people will hit the button while in a store or at work etc. and have the glass open all day. Not a feature I would want on a remote.

Yeah but you could do the same with the tailgate. They just need a little leather cover for the keychains so it's harder to accidentally hit the buttons.

Red G8R 10-15-2011 01:55 PM

That means I can easily disable mine.
Thanks.

plynn7 10-15-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETLIFE (Post 499145)

The reason why the glass button is not there, the flipper glass does not open up like the previous version did, when you hit the button the glass just unlocks but does not lift, you have to lift the glass by hand. The problem is, when the glass is unlocked you can not open the lift gate, so people did not know they were unlocking the glass and when they tried to open their gate it would not open and take it to the dealer for the lift gate not operating, then finding out the glass had been unlocked the entire time, so that is why Chrysler removed the glass button.

AAAA 10-15-2011 04:47 PM

On the other hand since the Limited does not have power lift gate or flipper, you can open both the glass and the door together.