Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Need assistance and expertise!!! Tran pan is leaking!!!

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TurboDiesel 
#1 ·
***55k on 57L 2007 JGC***

Has anyone done a transmission pan gasket replacement? I went to O'Reilly's and they gave me a gasket and a whole new filter. Do you know what the level of difficulty it is to do this? Or should this be left for the stealership to do? Thank you for your time!

Wil

#2 ·
have you done your 60K service yet.? trans filters and a fluid drain NOT FLUSH is required SO you maybe want to do it all ONE time.

Its not hard but can be messy. you can dump 4-6 qts of fluid from the pan. what you do is loosen one end bolts but leave them in like 3/4 way. then you loosen the other side so it will tip the pan down one way and get most of the fluid out. then its a straight install from there. there are 2 filters. change them both.

but if you scared any REPUTABLE trans shop can do this for you. maybe buy MOPAR filters and have them put in to shut up warranty issues. fluid is generic. wkjeeps.co m has all the p[art numbers and capacities.

#3 ·
Thanks Rob! Kinda scared.... just don't want to f anything up. 2 filters huh? Only got one with the gasket. pretty big with a neck and is apparently only held by one screw. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Rob thanks for all the info. I went under and checked the pan again and thought this should be ok but then there are about 3 or 4 screws/bolts that seem nearly impossible (for me and my limited tools) to get to because the cat is blocking it. I called the stealer and they said $180 for the service. i'm thinking wth and just have them do it. I'm pu$$ying out.

#7 ·
FYI - the trans service is really easy, minus getting the sockets around some exhaust tubing for the pan screws. If you wanted to tackle yourself, not a hard job at all and you can use RTV (black) for a new gasket. No issues on mine - use it for rear diff and trans pan. Either way - good luck!

#8 ·
Thanks Rob and Jlewissytem! Decided to do it my self... this Friday. Got my parts but had a question about the RTV and the round filter (that looks like an oil filter for the crank case). What the proper way of applying the RTV and the round filter is that located inside the tran pan too with the flat filter?

Round filter-

Flat filter-

Lastly, i found an article about common leaks...

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblo...cherokee-transmission-fluid-leak-common-leak/

Have you guys run into this? Thanks again in advance for your valuable time and assistance. I really appreciate it!!!

#9 ·
My only suggestion is to take the front bolts out first (around the cat)... if you cannot get them out take it somewhere to have it done, if you can just be careful not to crossthread them going back in.

The spin on filter is a 100k mile filter, the flat filter is the one you really want to replace. For the rtv, mopar has just a black atf rtv... As for permatex crossover I am not sure that it will say ATF on the front of it, but should have uses on the package. make sure your mating surfaces are clean when you put the pan up, if you have atf running across the sealing surface you will likely have a failed seal at that point sooner or later, the rtv sticks to metal pretty good, not atf ;)

Also that common leak website is for the NAG transmission found behind the 3.7l and srt models... NEVER behind the hemi (in the grand) so disreguard that information.

#10 ·
My only suggestion is to take the front bolts out first (around the cat)... if you cannot get them out take it somewhere to have it done, if you can just be careful not to crossthread them going back in.

The spin on filter is a 100k mile filter, the flat filter is the one you really want to replace. For the rtv, mopar has just a black atf rtv... As for permatex crossover I am not sure that it will say ATF on the front of it, but should have uses on the package. make sure your mating surfaces are clean when you put the pan up, if you have atf running across the sealing surface you will likely have a failed seal at that point sooner or later, the rtv sticks to metal pretty good, not atf ;)

Also that common leak website is for the NAG transmission found behind the 3.7l and srt models... NEVER behind the hemi (in the grand) so disreguard that information.

Thank you for the info and setting me straight with the article. I bought my filters, rtv black as suggested by Jlewis, car ramps... just have to get 6mm and extensions and giving it a shot at the crack of dawn. Any idea how long i should wait to drive? Thanks again EVERYONE for the tips and your time.

Wil

#11 ·
Honestly in the shop there is no "set up" time and typically the only reason one would "come back" is if the surfaces were not cleaned properly or if like a bolt stripped out and wasnt fixed. I put my bead down on the pan, install the pan, lower the vehicle fill it with an approx fill of atf and start the car up and begin the process of topping it off.

Also they are 8mm heads and your also going to want a 1/4" universal, a 1/4" swivel 8mm socket is the best but your talking a 20-30 dollar socket.

#12 · (Edited)
Both filters are inside, you see them when you remove the tranny pan. Before you start opening the tranny pan, be sure that you have the right size of tool for the spin-on filter. When i changed mine for the first time, it gave me some problems removing it.
You had already mentioned it with the picture of the plain filter, but its very important to install the filter neck seal on the tranny first and be sure its seated well before you install the filter in place. When you don´t do it this way, you have a big change the filter will come loose and air will be sucked in, causing pressure fluctuations or no pressure at all and subsequent tranny problems.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.