Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Best shocks for lowered WJ + Leaky Dana 44 + Fluids question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/best-shocks-for-lowered-wj-leaky-dana-44-fluids-question-29752.html)

dhillon09 10-15-2011 09:42 PM

Best shocks for lowered WJ + Leaky Dana 44 + Fluids question

2 Attachment(s)
I'm about to buy bilstein 4600 series shocks for my WJ but is there something else I should be looking at? I have eibach lowering springs.

I just about max out my credit card every time I start driving my jeep a lot again lol. I ordered sway bars, tie rod ends, spark plugs, WIX filters, air filter, a new TPS, and a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor so I can clear codes with my android lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure my Dana 44 is leaking. What's involved in the process of fixing it? My rear rotors are all glazed over with a brownish residue.

Lastly, can anyone tell me the product #'s for the differential fluid + transfer case fluid? I have a Dana 35 in front, a Dana 44 in the rear, VARILOCK, and a NV247, all of which are way past due for servicing. Or should I just run royal purple in them?

EDIT: Pics of my jeep!

dhillon09 10-15-2011 10:32 PM

Re: Best shocks for lowered WJ + Leaky Dana 44 + Fluids question

BUMP!

Kolak wants $82 for the TPS and this is with a 25% discount apparently. I read somewhere else that the list price for an OEM TPS sensor is $82. Am I being ripped off? Please reply fast i want to order this and get my WJ sorted ASAP!

Also do you guys think its worth my time to replace the INPUT/OUTPUT speed sensors for the transmission?

The only reason I'm replacing the TPS is to fix my erratic shifting. My tranny shifts pretty bad and lurches forward when I put it in drive/park

01grand 10-16-2011 04:40 PM

I got a TPS from advance auto parts for under $40, but I'm a little leary about the quality. When mine went I didnt have time to wait for a shipment, it went totally out.

Unless you have a problem with the speed sensors there's no real reason to replace them now, from my understanding they are pretty easy to replace anyway.

For the transfer case, use nv247 fluid from the dealer, or mobil 424 hydraulic oil is supposed to be the same thing, if you can find a store that sells it. For the vari lok diffs I used royal purple, seems to be working well although I get a squeak from the front end at times that I think means I need to add a little extra friction modifier from the dealer.

Edit: nice looking jeep!

01grand 10-16-2011 04:42 PM

Forgot to comment on the leak, it is usually the outer axel seals that leak, which means pulling out the shafts and replacing the seals. The seals are fairly cheap, but its a labor and time intensive job to do.

dhillon09 10-16-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 499590)
I got a TPS from advance auto parts for under $40, but I'm a little leary about the quality. When mine went I didnt have time to wait for a shipment, it went totally out.

Unless you have a problem with the speed sensors there's no real reason to replace them now, from my understanding they are pretty easy to replace anyway.

For the transfer case, use nv247 fluid from the dealer, or mobil 424 hydraulic oil is supposed to be the same thing, if you can find a store that sells it. For the vari lok diffs I used royal purple, seems to be working well although I get a squeak from the front end at times that I think means I need to add a little extra friction modifier from the dealer.

Edit: nice looking jeep!

The only reason I want to replace the speed sensors is I heard they can cause weird shifting (which I have) and replacing them is going to be about $64 + labour, which is a lot cheaper than a new tranny. Just wanted to make sure $64 is an okay price to pay for these.

Same thing with the TPS I heard it can be responsible for weird shifting aswell.

Amelie 10-16-2011 04:48 PM

@dhillon09: Nice looking Jeep man! How do you like the projector fogs? I heard their output is pretty iffy.

dhillon09 10-16-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 499595)
@dhillon09: Nice looking Jeep man! How do you like the projector fogs? I heard their output is pretty iffy.

Thanks!
Output is fine just gotta aim them up a bit, same thing with the low beams. They come aimed really low out of the box

Amelie 10-16-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 499608)
Thanks!
Output is fine just gotta aim them up a bit, same thing with the low beams. They come aimed really low out of the box

Cool, I was tempted to go with those but went with a pair of Blazers. Good to hear they're working out for you :)

dhillon09 10-16-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 499611)
Cool, I was tempted to go with those but went with a pair of Blazers. Good to hear they're working out for you :)

They're more for looks than anything, they're not as effective as my stockers in the fog probably because I have 6000K HIDs in them lol.

I was thinking of painting my lower grill (Center of bottom part of front bumper) black with plastidip but I keep going back and forth over it :slapfight:

Amelie 10-16-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 499642)
I was thinking of painting my lower grill (Center of bottom part of front bumper) black with plastidip but I keep going back and forth over it :slapfight:

In my opinion I think it looks good how it is, I think the black would throw the look off, But that's just me.

dhillon09 10-16-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 499648)
In my opinion I think it looks good how it is, I think the black would throw the look off, But that's just me.

I know but I have matte black srt8 rims sitting in my bedroom that are going on in spring. Then I plan on ordering the updated LED tails and getting 'em tinted so I'd have a whole black and silver theme going on :D Just a bit unsure

Amelie 10-16-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 499652)
I know but I have matte black srt8 rims sitting in my bedroom that are going on in spring. Then I plan on ordering the updated LED tails and getting 'em tinted so I'd have a whole black and silver theme going on :D Just a bit unsure

I think polished chrome SRT Replicas would match better with that body color but your idea sounds interesting