Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tailgate opens / closes by itself (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tailgate-opens-closes-by-itself-29753.html)

foggy 10-15-2011 10:10 PM

Tailgate opens / closes by itself

I got a strange tailgate issue. The tailgate will open / close on its own....sometimes repeatably. It may stand for 15 minutes or so....then the gate starts operating. This generally only happens when I have a trailer hooked up. Also, sometimes the doors have locked / unlocked by themselves too.....although not lately. I've also had a few start-ups that are unexplained (but it could be key fob related? unsure about this).

I've had it into the dealer on several occasions and they have run updates on the electronic stuff....but I have been afraid that I will come back to a vehicle with the tailgate open and the doors unlocked. Worse yet....it's an intermittent problem....and gets hard to replicate on demand.

Anyone read about another person with this problem? Advice?

walterhudson 10-16-2011 12:25 AM

Re: Tailgate opens / closes by itself

haunted

cloud11244 10-16-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggy (Post 499390)
I got a strange tailgate issue. The tailgate will open / close on its own....sometimes repeatably. It may stand for 15 minutes or so....then the gate starts operating. This generally only happens when I have a trailer hooked up. Also, sometimes the doors have locked / unlocked by themselves too.....although not lately. I've also had a few start-ups that are unexplained (but it could be key fob related? unsure about this).

I've had it into the dealer on several occasions and they have run updates on the electronic stuff....but I have been afraid that I will come back to a vehicle with the tailgate open and the doors unlocked. Worse yet....it's an intermittent problem....and gets hard to replicate on demand.

Anyone read about another person with this problem? Advice?

This is probably not the reason, but sometimes if you have the keyfob in your pocket while outside but in the vicinity of the car, the buttons on the keyfob get pressed in your pocket without you realizing it. This has happened to me.

ColdCase 10-16-2011 08:49 AM

If you throw your cell phone in the same pocket as your key fob, something like this happens (buttons get pressed). Is there any difference in the key fob environment when you have the trailer hooked up? If not, its perhaps time for a visit to the dealer....

foggy 10-23-2011 11:01 PM

It's not the fob issue stated....allthough I have experienced that too. I have had it into the dealership a few times for this problem....but so far it is not resolved. Afraid to leave it with a trailer connected and valuables inside. Frustrating.