Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Paint Rock Chip Damage is Extreme (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/paint-rock-chip-damage-is-extreme-29773.html)

BLACKBERRY 10-16-2011 04:12 PM

Paint Rock Chip Damage is Extreme

I've got a 2011 Black Berry Pearl Overland GC and my paint has been severely damaged by rock chips. There isnít a mark on the front of the vehicle but the sides are trashed. I have running boards and mud flaps front and back and only have 10K on the vehicle. Itís only been on a gravel road for around 20 miles and has been polished with high end wax. Iíve never in all my years of owning a vehicle (35) have ever seen anything like this. Iím taking it to the dealership this week to see what they will do. As far as Iím concerned they can give me my money back. This is obviously a design flaw or real crappy paint. Not impressed at all with this and Iíve babied the vehicle since new.

The rules say that I can't post attachments so I'll explain where the damage is. It's along the entire bottom of the vehicle between the wheel wells and the entire front of the rear wheel. It looks like I drove through white paint which I originally though happened. I cannot figure out how the rocks have actually managed to even come in contact with the paint with all the protection I put on the vehicle.

Can anybody help and have they experienced the same problem and what did Jeep do. As far as I know, when painting damage to a vehicle with metal fleck they have to paint the entire side of the vehicle because they canít ensure an exact colour match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can send pictures to show how bad it is.

JayB 10-16-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Paint Rock Chip Damage is Extreme

go make a few more posts so that you can add the picture attachments.
Go post a hello message in the new members section perhaps.

Scottina06 10-16-2011 06:22 PM

upload your pics to photobucket and then link them here

Kevlars 10-16-2011 09:55 PM

I dont know how severe the issue is, but for minor damage I would recomend this ...

http://www.langka.com/

Cheers !!

BLACKBERRY 10-19-2011 05:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been given authority to upload my pictures so here they are.
The only thing that I can figure out that caused the damage was from winter driving for 3 months without the mud flaps and running boards. Thatís still no reason to see this type of damage. I donít drive on gravel roads, itís always on pavement. Of all the brand new vehicles that I've owned this is a first. I've always expected a few chips but as you can see this is over a thousand and the same damage is on both sides. And if you're wondering, none of that is dirt, they're actual chips. One picture shows the leading edge of the rear door and how the paint is worn completely off. I saw another black GC drive by yesterday with the same damage in the locations that I show in the pictures.

Since Iím fairly analytical I looked at what the path of stones/rocks or anything that comes off of the front tires without mud flaps and running boards. The entire bottom painted section under the doors is in the direct path of anything coming off the front tires, it sticks out farther then the plastic section underneath it. Also the front of the rear wheel is a target. I would assume that they knew that since they put a small piece of film there. It is fairly obvious that this is a design flaw and that mud flaps at the very least should be standard equipment on this vehicle. Anyone that is going to drive these GC's in the winter where roads are sanded needs to add this equipment to the vehicle.

Although I love the looks of the vehicle I can't recommend anyone buying this unless they live in place like Arizona where they don't have a Canadian winter to deal with. I'm extremely disappointed in this product and have always babied it and polished it from new. There isn't a mark anywhere on the vehicle except for the sandblasted sides.

This type of normal driving damage is completely unacceptable.

Iím taking it in to the dealership in 2 days to see what they will do.

morty 10-19-2011 06:15 PM

mines the same 15,000Km and it looks like its 6 years old. I have put on mud flaps to see if it slows down the wear but it sound like your is the same with flaps since new. Mines Black and really stands out my nabour laughs at it as he drives away in his $ 19,000.00 KIA 2 years old not a mark on it.

HemiHog 10-19-2011 06:16 PM

That's nasty. How many miles ago did you install the mudflats? I was planning on doing without on mine because im not crazy about the looks of them, but they look better than chipped up doors.

jeepster23 10-20-2011 08:08 AM

Is any one else expieriencing a problem like this?

BLACKBERRY 10-20-2011 08:39 AM

Regarding Hemihogs question:

I probably only had 3000 Kms which works out to ~1900 miles before putting on the mudflaps. The pictures that I have posted show the vehicle with 10,000 kms (6200 miles). Since it was bought in the winter months I never noticed the damage because of the snow and dirt on the vehicle.
When I washed it I would drive it home and just thought the spots were from the road dirt from the trip home.
You always expect a few rock chips but nothing like this. As I mentioned before I saw a black GC drive by with the same damage so obviously an issue.
I can only imagine what the damage would be if you drove on gravel roads. You might want to buy a white GC because that's what the primer colour is!

dsi jeep 10-20-2011 06:57 PM

I don't have WK2 yet but is this on the second pic clear plastic chip protector. How does the damage happened? Unbelivable!

SW03ES 10-20-2011 07:07 PM

Yeah what I can't figure out is why the plastic chip protector is damaged in the same way as the paint...that there leads me to believe that you somehow came into something thats really unusual. You should see that road rash on the panel but then not on the plastic protected part. The fact that little peice is damaged the same way IMHO proves that whatever damaged the paint there was severe enough no paint would stand up to it. You can also see the plastic cladding has the same damage.

Unfortunately thats kind of a side effect of these new water based paints, they are REALLY prone to chipping and rash like that, its a problem across all brands. I can point you to tons of posts complaining about the same thing on the Lexus forum I frequent. Jeep's not likely to do anything for you, but if you do have them repainted I would have the whole lower sections of the doors protected with a clearbra type material.

RageOfFury 10-20-2011 07:21 PM

Yeah driving without the mud guards did some damage for sure. I've had the mud guards on since day one and after 10 000 KM I have 0 damage to the doors.