Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Suggestions for electrical problem. Jeep wont start. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/suggestions-for-electrical-problem-jeep-wont-start-29780.html)

bassnbucks 10-16-2011 08:03 PM

Suggestions for electrical problem. Jeep wont start.

Having problems getting my jeep to start. It started last Wednesday when I out to go to work. I clicked the unlock button on the remote and nothing. The doors were unlocked which is something I never do (always locked over night) Went to start the jeep and nothing. I jumped it with my wife's WJ and it started just fine. Thinking it was a low battery I drove it for 15 miles to charge it back up and things were fine untill today. Ran some errands and started just fine. Took the kids to the park and when we went to leave I clicked the remote and doors unlocked just fine. Went to start the jeep and nothing. Luckily we live down hill from the park and were able to coast home albeit with no power steering or breaks. When I turned the ignition switch off and remove the key all the gages were moving back and forth in unison and there was a bunch of clicking. It may have been coming from behind the insturment pannel but Im not for sure. I know I have a loose neg battery cable and will start with that obviously but it is still making good contact with the post. It's just like all of the juice in the battery is dumped out and its dead. I'm pretty sure the battery is ok as it is less than 6 months old. However it is a Wally world battery. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

JeepMe 10-16-2011 08:11 PM

Re: Suggestions for electrical problem. Jeep wont start.

Bad battery. I would take it to your local auto parts store and have it tested. Since you were able to jump it to get it started, I would say it's the battery.

Amelie 10-16-2011 08:12 PM

I've been having a problem with my Jeep similar to that where it won't start. I had a service professional check the vehicle and my battery was good but for some reason he found that the vehicle won't start in the park position so sometimes I have to put it in neutral and start it up :(

bassnbucks 10-16-2011 08:44 PM

Welp, I do believe it's the neg battery clamp. Tested the battery with a volt meter and 12.7 V. Tightend up the bat clamp as best I could but the bolt head is as far tight as it will go so I tapped the clamp down a bit further on the post and she popped right off. Guess I'll need to get a longer bolt or straighten out the clamp a bit. Will watch for now and see if it acts up once I get the clamp on a little tighter. If it acts up again then the clamp is obviously not the problem.

Amelie 10-16-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassnbucks (Post 499700)
Welp, I do believe it's the neg battery clamp. Tested the battery with a volt meter and 12.7 V. Tightend up the bat clamp as best I could but the bolt head is as far tight as it will go so I tapped the clamp down a bit further on the post and she popped right off. Guess I'll need to get a longer bolt or straighten out the clamp a bit. Will watch for now and see if it acts up once I get the clamp on a little tighter. If it acts up again then the clamp is obviously not the problem.

Good luck!

Frango100 10-16-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 499687)
I've been having a problem with my Jeep similar to that where it won't start. I had a service professional check the vehicle and my battery was good but for some reason he found that the vehicle won't start in the park position so sometimes I have to put it in neutral and start it up :(

Your problem is most probably a not properly adjusted gearshift linkage. Check this out first. Would not suspect the Park/Neutral switch in this case, because it works fine in Neutral.

Amelie 10-17-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 499715)
Your problem is most probably a not properly adjusted gearshift linkage. Check this out first. Would not suspect the Park/Neutral switch in this case, because it works fine in Neutral.

Thanks Frank, I'll have to check that out. How would I go about resolving the problem?

Frango100 10-17-2011 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go:

rons00gc 10-19-2011 09:18 AM

Hi all,
This is my first post. I have had the same problem. What I found was the NEG battery cable has two wires that are molded into the connector. On mine the connector was bad and if the one is not making good contact you have that symptom.