Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Electrical gremlins continue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/electrical-gremlins-continue-29802.html)

ACPRO 10-17-2011 10:20 AM

Electrical gremlins continue

If anything will drive me crazy it's electrical problems! So far the dealer replaced the lock cylinder, multi-function headlight switch, and just recently the ABS module for a running total of $890.92 Parts & labor.

With the most recent episode of electric mayhem i called the service mgr. to make a long story short he wants my JEEP back and they will get to the bottom of this and make it right. At least thats what he said.

My suspicion is this car was traded in with this problem and didn't surface until after i purchased it. I will try to get the name of the previous owner and get in touch and find out if they had any issues with this. Also I'm wondering if the dealer would buy it back and sell me another. I know their not legally obligated but it would be a nice gesture for customer relations and retention. I'll post with any updates on this. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

JMLoughrey 10-17-2011 10:39 AM

Re: Electrical gremlins continue

Looks like we are in the same boat.

If you go to Jeep.com and create an account under owners login, you can get the service records for your vehicle. I did this and found that 2 weeks before my jeep was put for sale, the owner had brought the vehicle in with "inspect electrical system" as the problem.

My jeeps been having all sorts of issues, owned the car for less then 2 months and had it in the shop for over 30 days. At first the gauges would randomly shut down while driving, then it progressed to the whole car would shut down and restart itself on its own while driving. Then it'd just turn off. I'd have to let it sit for half an hour and it'd turn back on. After a 3 week vacation at the dealer and $2500 of labor and parts later (paid by dealer under warrenty), i get the car back for 3 hours and it does it again.

If they are a good dealer they will potentially buy it back, you'll most likely take some kind of hit unless you fight for all your worth.

ACPRO 10-17-2011 12:01 PM

Thanks JM and I feel your pain. I'll try loging in to Jeep.com.

ACPRO 10-17-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks for the tip JM it worked. I found a service report for electrical insp. on 10/29/2010 at 51k. and a couple of months later it was traded in with 57k.

robpp 10-17-2011 12:49 PM

when its not the typical culprits (multi-function stalk, ignition sw) it seems to be really hard to find like wire harness issues.

there are 2 large connectors where the harnesses transfer from under hood to inside the car. they are down by the drivers side near the ufse box and hood release.

SOMETIMES its as simple as making sure that these connectors are secure from both sides. or as others have seen, its a broken wire somewhere.