Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tint Bust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tint-bust-29863.html)

06GCLDK 10-18-2011 06:53 PM

Tint Bust

So, I live in Hartford, CT for 3/4 of the year during school, and for those of you who don't know, parts of Hartford are very dangerous in terms of crime. I was just relaxing in my apartment this weekend, and I couldn't help but hear police sirens almost every minute. Sirens go by all the time, but this was more than usual. I look outside, and there are literally 15+ police cars up and down the street, all with someone different pulled over. I could hear the conversation of the nearest one, and the police officer told the driver that the tints were illegal. The cop then took out some type of tint-measurement meter, had the driver put the window up a couple inches, and measured the tint. He then wrote a ticket, and took off to find another one. This went on for a solid hour. I couldn't believe it, of all things a window tint bust! They were also noting if there were tinted frames/covers over the cars license plates (also illegal in CT). I personally have 25% tints on the front windows, and I was happy I wasn't out driving. I've had the tints 2 years, and have been reluctant not to get pulled over/ticketed. Anyone here been busted for their tints??

Unholyskorn86 10-18-2011 06:58 PM

Re: Tint Bust

I used to deliver mail in Hartford, CT. For at least a year. Place is nuts. I heard a lot of "remarks" about being the only white person on the block. Sucks everyone got a ticket.

TJXJWJ 10-18-2011 07:11 PM

I got nailed driving through one of the more expensive neighborhoods in NE Ohio...I was not speeding, or otherwise drawing attention to myself other than my ride was friggin gleaming. I paid the ticket, and installed less dark tint. This was years ago in my TJ. It hasn't deterred me from getting tint around here. I'm just aware that at any time I could get yanked and get a ticket. It's a risk you take. Not blaring music or doing other dumb $hit helps. In a bad area, I could see how they'd be more strict about it.

06GCLDK 10-18-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 500664)
In a bad area, I could see how they'd be more strict about it.

I agree with you, but this was the only time i've ever seen someone pulled over for tints!

Robert Palmer 10-18-2011 07:17 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

This surprises you?

When a city is in the red they buckle down on the motorists.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-18-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 500672)
LOLOLOLOLOL

This surprises you?

When a city is in the red they buckle down on the motorists.

i was awaiting your comments on the subject HAHA

ItalianJeeper77 10-18-2011 07:37 PM

Yep. It's the same way in MI. I've been ticketed a few times, usually just pay the fine and go on with my day.

J-rod 10-18-2011 07:41 PM

Here in Lincoln it's a secondary offense so you have to get pulled over for something else first, but I have never heard of someone here getting a ticket for their tint..they are pretty lenient about it. Sucks for most of you other guys!

kevin06vino 10-18-2011 07:48 PM

I was pulled over for a clear license plate cover and they checked my tint. I'm at 15% on my front windows and would have gotten a ticket if a car hadn't flown by us at 2x the speed limit. Trooper threw my id at me and ran to his squad. This was in Minneapolis, MN.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SRTgirl 10-18-2011 07:49 PM

I was pulled over late summer for tint...and I'm in S FL! Everyone has tint down here, but apparently mine is darker than it should be.Got a warning, so all was good! Now both cars have state of FL exemption certs so I can paint the windows black if I want and there's nothing the popo can do! Just had the windshields done this month too. :)

JeepCoop 10-18-2011 08:06 PM

I got pulled over or tinted tail lights...and windows! Double whammy ticket that cost me $200!! Thanks, CA!! hahaha

kevin06vino 10-18-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCoop (Post 500709)
I got pulled over or tinted tail lights...and windows! Double whammy ticket that cost me $200!! Thanks, CA!! hahaha

They make you pull the tint? I'd rather pay the fine. One of my buddies had to peel the tint from the window before the trooper would let him leave...that was Wisconsin though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk