Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Manifold exhaust leak? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/manifold-exhaust-leak-29913.html)

HANKTHETANK 10-19-2011 10:26 PM

Manifold exhaust leak?

Hello, I have a 2005 JGC Limited 4x4 5.7, it only has 47k miles and i hear what sounds like an exhaust leak near the driverside manifold. I don't notice any power loss but the noise sounds awful. I took it to the dealership and they said they can't seem to locate the noise but do hear it when accelerating.

I also took it to my buddies muffler/exhaust shop and he said it's definitely an exhaust leak. Anyone ever experience this and what did you do to solve it?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

robpp 10-20-2011 10:57 AM

Re: Manifold exhaust leak?

its very common to have the exhaust manifold leak where it meets the head on 05 + 4.7/

I would expect that your buddy muffler shop could have PINPOINTED the exact place where the manifold is leaking/

there are writeups on changing the bolts but you can imagine its a real bitch. a lift would be a great help.

Crestwood1001 10-20-2011 10:41 PM

I have the same issue, 99.9% sure its the notorious broken bolt, just afraid to dig into the labor costs of fixing it.

socalwk 10-21-2011 04:28 PM

I changed mine as a newbie to all of this....took me about 4 or 5 hours...cause it was my first time inside the engine.

I went to my dealer and bought a new gasket and bolts....about $40 bucks...and changed it out myself. It's tight in there but I saved a bunch of money.

2005JGC 10-23-2011 04:20 PM

Yep as stated, pretty common for broken bolts on the 4.7l... on COLD exhaust if you stick your hand down on the back of the exhaust manifold (near the fire wall... ahem, bulkhead) and stick your finger down and hook the heat shield and gently pull towards the frame rail. If you have a broken bolt (typically its both in the back but only one is not uncommon). you will feel the heat shield move with a broken bolt.

AWD 4x4 wk 4.7 10-27-2011 11:29 PM

Dude it's easy! first time i saw how the mechanic did it, then i learn it off of him. and i have change it i think twice. and this weekend im going to change it again. it's leaking from the driver side. you can do it your self and save 400 dollars, 200 hundred per each side. First you take off the wheel. then the plastic wheel well. then the aluminum manifold cover then you'll be able to see it. your going to need swivels because the bolts are on a angle. ratchet. and a metal putty knife, nothing special. you have to clean the manifold scrape the gasket off and also from the block. it has to be very clean. i used WD-40. there might be some places where you wouldn't be able to see, so your going to have to feel it. P.S. there are two types of gaskets don't get the one that is made out of cardboard. i get mines from NAPA auto parts. also the engine must be cold and disconnect the battery before any work to be save. i hope this has help. the fastest time i took was a little over one hour for both side. i am not a mechanic but i like to explore in my jeep. if it has a broken bolt i would say grab some vise-grips. i think i might record it and put it on youtube. you can PM me with any questions you have and i can answer it the best i can or say dont know.

dr.lee.baugh 10-28-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWD 4x4 wk 4.7 (Post 505269)
i think i might record it and put it on youtube. you can PM me with any questions you have and i can answer it the best i can or say dont know.

A video of this would be awesome. I am sure there are a lot of owners out there with this problem, that would love to see how to save some serious cash!

Crestwood1001 10-28-2011 06:20 PM

Yea get a vid

AWD 4x4 wk 4.7 10-28-2011 09:13 PM

ok. I'm going to try to put it up on Sunday.

AWD 4x4 wk 4.7 10-29-2011 11:19 PM

man it's not easy anymore. maybe because i forgot how to do it. but i started today at noon and didn't finish till 5pm. i was able to take both of them off. i forgot to say that to take the battery off and it's base. plus the intake system hose and filter and the box of where the filter goes for better room. as i was taking video i had to pause it a couple times. most of the time i was laying on top of the motor, very few times i was in the wheel well. if you guys are really into it, than your going to need lots of patient. i was talking to this mechanic and he suggested to take the manifolds to a machine shop so they can sand blast it and shave it a little because at the both ends of the manifolds their tweak or get tweaken by time so that's what im at. he also said that he had a couple customers with the same problem. he even try to double on the gasket but it didn't work. he said if i wouldn't take it to the machine shop, i will still continue to have this same problem in the future. so since im tier of changing it that's what im going to do. it's going to cost about 40 dollars per each he said to well see.

swing4terps 01-30-2012 09:27 AM

What is the easiest way to see/access the manifolds without tearing things apart? Pretty sure I have this problem, but want to dig around a little to confirm.