Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   When's it going to stop using oil? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/whens-it-going-to-stop-using-oil-29939.html)

americanbulldog 10-20-2011 02:29 PM

When's it going to stop using oil?

I have 1800 miles on my 2011 JGC. So far it has used a little over a 1/2 quart of oil. I know that the owners manual says that it may use oil at first, just wondering how long or how many miles I should wait before this is an issue to bring up with the dealer. My 2002 Sebring convertible's owners manual said the same thing, but it never used any oil from the start or over 128,000 miles. I'm really concerned that this Mexico built engine may be a lemon in the long run.

Cherodude 10-20-2011 04:04 PM

Re: When's it going to stop using oil?

No harm in bringing this issue up with your dealer now, even if they just want you to wait to see what happens.

DrLocke 10-20-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanbulldog (Post 501525)
I have 1800 miles on my 2011 JGC. So far it has used a little over a 1/2 quart of oil. I know that the owners manual says that it may use oil at first, just wondering how long or how many miles I should wait before this is an issue to bring up with the dealer. My 2002 Sebring convertible's owners manual said the same thing, but it never used any oil from the start or over 128,000 miles. I'm really concerned that this Mexico built engine may be a lemon in the long run.

I have an '04 WJ with over 92k which uses NO oil. Do you see drops of oil on the ground under it or is it just being used by the engine for whatever happens inside?
I would make sure there is a record from the start on oil use.
Good luck I hope that whatever you find out it is good news.

hammer1234 10-20-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanbulldog (Post 501525)
I'm really concerned that this Mexico built engine may be a lemon in the long run.

I thought that the 2011 JGC engines were all built in Michigan...

No oil usage on my 2011 JGC. I had an Acura Integra that from new used about a quart of oil every 3000 miles or so and two other vehicles started to use at the same rate but only after 150K miles or so.

AAAA 10-20-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer1234 (Post 501601)
I thought that the 2011 JGC engines were all built in Michigan...

No oil usage on my 2011 JGC. I had an Acura Integra that from new used about a quart of oil every 3000 miles or so and two other vehicles started to use at the same rate but only after 150K miles or so.

Look at your window sticker for build location of engine. Mine is Mexico. 10,700 miles and no issues. Oil change at 3500 and 8000 miles.:thumbsup:

robpp 10-20-2011 05:54 PM

this is what warranty is for.

maybe EXTEND it/

also every engine will burn a diff amount of oil to become BROKEN IN. since they are DRIVEN by many in MANY different ways not every one will break in the same.

also, are you checking the stick with the motor good and cooled and all they oil returned to the pan EVERY TIME? checking a dipstick hot vs cold vs every temp inbetween will show different levels.

most if not ALL V6s are assembled in Mexico.

how do you KNOW where it started on the dipstick? perhaps it was NOT completely FULL from factory/

i would change the oil. drive it 10-20 miles. let it sit overnight. check your stick. that is your baseline. and drive it from there 1200 more miles and see the results after following the SAME EXACT TESTING CRITERIA.

aslo FYI there is a LIMIT that chrysler will allow. these are usually based on a 3K or 6K interval where you need to burn so much oil in that interval to go OVER the allowable limit. any service advisor could QUOTE you that limit I would suspect.

hammer1234 10-20-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 501619)
Look at your window sticker for build location of engine. Mine is Mexico. 10,700 miles and no issues. Oil change at 3500 and 8000 miles.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 501628)
most if not ALL V6s are assembled in Mexico.

Quote:

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION
FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE:
U.S./CANADA PARTS CONTENT: 77%
NOTE: PARTS CONTENT DOES NOT INCLUDE FINAL ASSEMBLY,
DISTRIBUTION, OR OTHER NON-PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
DETROIT, MICHIGAN, U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE:US
TRANSMISSION:US
Does this mean mine was built in the US? I have an early build...

americanbulldog 10-20-2011 08:22 PM

I always check it with it sitting on my level garage floor and having had it sit overnight. It has definitely used some oil, no spots on the ground either. Engine runs good and gas mileage is about what was claimed on the window sticker. The owners manual says "the first few thousand miles" so I'm not sure when this would become an issue. Going to get it documented at 3000 miles though when I use my free oil change.

AAAA 10-21-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer1234 (Post 501681)
Does this mean mine was built in the US? I have an early build...

I would say, "yes". My build is 2/11.

webspoke 10-21-2011 01:07 PM

Mine (built in Nov '10) uses maybe 1/4-1/2qt in between changes, which I do at around 5000mi. That does include a lot of city and towing miles though, which would make it higher than normal.

atv73 10-22-2011 02:26 PM

I have same problem. Mine was down 1/4 quart, no drips on floor. I snooped around and seen it is leaking some where above the oil filter/assembly. It is not from loose oil filter because I made sure it was tight and wiped everything down. Just checked and it is leaking :(