Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Radio will not shut off (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/radio-will-not-shut-off-30003.html)

Sarge137 10-22-2011 04:25 PM

Radio will not shut off

Little help needed here. I installed an aftermarket HU, amp and rear view camera. Everything worked fine. No issues any where in the jeep. Jump ahead a week and I swap out the door speakers and now the radio will not shut off when I remove the FOB and open the door. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and the tunes are still playing. Lights, locks and windows all respond appropriately.

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Redpit 10-22-2011 05:59 PM

Re: Radio will not shut off

Ignition wire must be messed up. How did you connect the wires (black tape, wire connectors, solder). You'll most likely have to pull the head unit and double check the main wires (power, ground, and ignition)

Sarge137 10-22-2011 06:03 PM

but how would installing speakers mess up the wires behind the HU ?

Redpit 10-22-2011 08:53 PM

It could just be a coincidence that it coincided with your speaker installation. Maybe something melted back there and created a connection where it shouldn't be, or a wire could not be fully insulated and be creating a circuit on something metal. Are the door speakers powered by the amp?

Sarge137 10-22-2011 10:05 PM

All I did was cut the existing wiring within the door, double checked the color codes, crimped on some connectors and taped them up. All the wiring that I did in the dash was soldered and used heat shrink tubing on each splice, which wasn't much because I bought the aftermarket wiring harness. Not sure if they are powered by the amp or not. My Alpine HU plugs into the amp and then the amp into the factory wiring harness (through the adapter of course). I just wonder if I blew a door module or something that sends info to the Jeep saying the door is open ... I dont know ...lol

Redpit 10-22-2011 11:02 PM

Your door theory seems pretty good. I know my others cars automatically shut off the radio after a certain amount of time. I think about 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if my jeep does the same thing.

JMLoughrey 10-23-2011 09:23 PM

do your dome lights function as they should?

What harness did you use to integrate everything? there is a note in the harnesses that if not done properly it will mess up, i know i've done it 10000000 times with VW integration harness

Taken from metraonline.com

NOTE: THE VEHICLES IGNITION SWITCH MUST BE IN THE OFF POSITION BEFORE
PLUGGING THE CHTO-01 MODULE IN. ALSO THE KEY MUST BE CYCLED AT A MEDIUM
PACE AT LEAST TWO TIMES BEFORE BEGINNING TESTING.

Same goes for the Metra XSVI-6502.

Sarge137 10-23-2011 10:42 PM

Yup, everything works as it should, minus the radio not turning off. I used the metra XSVI-6502 harness. Everything was installed a week ago minus the speakers and worked as it should, including the radio shutting off. The only thing I did was install the doors speakers. Its driving me nuts having to turn the radio off every time I exit the vehicle.

Sarge137 10-24-2011 07:30 PM

Well ... enough was enough. I tore the dash apart and checked all the wiring. No issues. Torn the doors apart, no issues. Ensured all grounds were good to go ... again, no issues. Final thought ... check the pins in the harness before breaking out the volt meter. Unplugged the harness, pins were good, plugged the harness back in. Turned the radio on to ensure everything was still working. No issues. Opened the door to get the meter, the radio turned off. I felt like burning the garage down .... lol

JMLoughrey 11-04-2011 02:31 PM

Glad you got it fixed, I had a similar issue the other day In a Vw. The sunroof wouldn't close after I installed a radio. Unplugged the integration harness, replugged it all up and it all magically worked.

Sarge137 11-05-2011 09:21 AM

I guess rule one should be to always cycle the connections ... lol