Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Bilsteins!!! Got 'em, one question though..... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/bilsteins-got-em-one-question-though-30048.html)

Billyb.cpt 10-23-2011 09:20 PM

Bilsteins!!! Got 'em, one question though.....

Is there a wear in period? I just put them on but wow are they stiff! I know they are a lot stiffer than stock but just curious if they'll settle in?

Scottina06 10-23-2011 09:25 PM

Re: Bilsteins!!! Got 'em, one question though.....

the stockers are so bad.....LOL

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-23-2011 09:30 PM

they stay pretty stiff

Billyb.cpt 10-23-2011 09:39 PM

Yeah my stock ones were shot pretty much all around. Anytime I hit a bump or pothole it felt like I lost a wheel or something and the truck bounced all over the place. The only reason I'm asking if they"ll settle in is because I still hear a lot of noise being transferred from the road surfaces into the cabin.

mitchelm 10-23-2011 09:43 PM

The bilsteins are great. Will really keep your truck in line. But I think the noise will get reduced a little. But check your sway bars and upper mounts. I replaced my upper shock mounts as they were pretty well worn.

Billyb.cpt 10-24-2011 12:26 AM

Do you think replacing the upper and lower spring insulators as well will help control the noise? They are original with 104,000 on the odo.....

Billyb.cpt 10-24-2011 12:43 AM

Scottina since you've obviously got your WK equipped with the SRT Bilsteins how is the cabin noise? Do you absorb potholes and bumps well?

Marlin 10-24-2011 01:29 AM

I didn't notice any increase in road noise, however mine was/is much younger than yours.

Are your tires nearly worn out? In my experience worn tires tend to transfer a lot more road noise into the cabin (and brands vary too).

Renewing spring insulators won't help, not unless your current ones are completely stuffed.

If you're convinced it's not just tires, I say take a close look at sway bar bushes, they're a common wearing part.

antsjeep 10-24-2011 09:16 AM

Mine felt settled in after about a month of driving. They def are not as stiff as day one, but still far superior to the stock struts.

macmac 10-24-2011 03:47 PM

I love my Bilsteins

others in my car......

not so much

Mr Chill 10-27-2011 10:13 PM

Definitely a compromise to those seeking uber-smoothness. Switching to bilsteins at 116k for me uncovered a few little buzzes and rattles in the dash and center console. I am so much happier with the way the jeep feels overall though. They took about 500 miles to settle in fully. Not sure if my front shocks were worse off to begin with but it leveled the truck up nicely from the nose-down stance it had before.

Billyb.cpt 11-03-2011 09:28 PM

Well I've had them on for about 2 weeks now and easily 500 miles on them and they still seem really stiff. I love the way they handle and help the steering feel really responsive (awesome when braking too, no nose dive) but hit the smallest pothole and the whole Jeep feels it. The noise inside the cabin lets you know you just hit a pothole, like a jolt. I'm not looking for a caddy type ride but really hope they will soften up a little and make the ride smoother or I may sell them and go Monroe or KYB. I mainly got them off recommendations from this forum and a few others but fail to have a great experience so far.