Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Embarrassing Loss Of Power Question? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/embarrassing-loss-of-power-question-30082.html)

hella_wk 10-24-2011 06:06 PM

Embarrassing Loss Of Power Question?

This is very embarrassing and never fails to happen every-time a make a U-turn.
Basically when i make a HARD left turn at lower speed and try to accelerate through the turn, my jeep looses power and drops RPMs as if its bogging out.. this is so embarrassing and im not sure on whats causing it. it doesn't throw and codes. And its been doing this for a while now..

I was thinking traction control or something related to my 4wheel drive system: QD1? any info can help. So please give suggestions.
Check out my signature and see if it could be something it there that causes it? i doubt that tho.

THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM (THANKS GUYS):
-
*TURN OFF YOUR TRACTION CONTROL*

JeepCoop 10-24-2011 06:16 PM

Sounds like the ESP goin off (traction control) can't see your sig from my phone but do you have any lift? We lifted folk get a lil rubbage if you don't have the pinch weld mod done. Sounds like traction control to me, though.

2005JGC 10-24-2011 06:19 PM

Re: Embarrassing Loss Of Power Question?

When I had a tire replaced due to beign slashed I got random intermittant esp activation. going out of the parking lot I park in while at work one night, to get to the exit there is a turn and a speed bump just at the end of the turn, I have hit the bump and dropped the hammer and had my traction control freaking out till I let off. never happened before the 1 new single tire and hasnt happened since i put the new tires on... maybe you have a tire issue, pressure, or wear.

hella_wk 10-24-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCoop (Post 503434)
Sounds like the ESP goin off (traction control) can't see your sig from my phone but do you have any lift? We lifted folk get a lil rubbage if you don't have the pinch weld mod done. Sounds like traction control to me, though.

if it matters, i don't think i get any flashing lights in my dash. that's why im not sure if its traction control.. but i think you may be right.
i have a 2" rough country lift, 1.5" wheel spacers, and 31.5" tires (it still happened with my stock tires that didn't rub). this is gonna sound dumb. but isn't the pinch weld for the rear only? i haven't done much research on it, so idk.. im not even sure if that would help either?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 503436)
When I had a tire replaced due to beign slashed I got random intermittant esp activation. going out of the parking lot I park in while at work one night, to get to the exit there is a turn and a speed bump just at the end of the turn, I have hit the bump and dropped the hammer and had my traction control freaking out till I let off. never happened before the 1 new single tire and hasnt happened since i put the new tires on... maybe you have a tire issue, pressure, or wear.

well my tires are basically brand new and well maintained. it was also happening on my stock tires as well, so i dont think its tires

555ctsv 10-24-2011 07:09 PM

You should be able to hear and feel when the esp kicks in. I think the light comes off/on pretty quickly (if at all), so you may have missed it. Mine goes off almost everyday when i pull out from work. The 2" lift makes it much more sensitive.

I think a good test would be for you to go to a turn when you know it happens. Push and hold the ESP button in for like 10 seconds until the evic says ESP off (this turns off traction and stability) and then take the turn and see if it's better. Don't get too crazy and flip the thing!

JeepCoop 10-24-2011 07:11 PM

Yea I'm pretty sure it's your ESP. I have the same lift n spacers. Pinch weld is more the front but you def do the rear as well. If you look at your front wheel well you'll see the piece of plastic that covers the pinch weld. That's what your tire is hitting at full lock. Hopefully that's all :)

06GCLDK 10-24-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hella_wk (Post 503426)
This is very embarrassing and never fails to happen every-time a make a U-turn.
Basically when i make a HARD left turn at lower speed and try to accelerate through the turn, my jeep looses power and drops RPMs as if its bogging out.. this is so embarrassing and im not sure on whats causing it. it doesn't throw and codes. And its been doing this for a while now..

I was thinking traction control or something related to my 4wheel drive system: QD1? any info can help. So please give suggestions.
Check out my signature and see if it could be something it there that causes it? i doubt that tho.

I am so happy you started a thread about this because I was going to do the same thing. My WK is an 06 and I have had this problem since day 1. I also find that if you hit a bump or small pothole shortly after accelerating from 0 (especially while turning after a stop) I get the same drop of rpm's/power. I have also came to the conclusion that it is the ESP that goes off when you "lose traction??" hitting small bumps, and thus the traction control kicks in as if you don't know how to drive. THe simple solution.......turn traction control off......I've never had it happen to me with it off. And one more thing to add, My brother drives a 2010 WK and his does the exact same thing. To add, My Dad and Mom both have WJ's, one is a 2003 and the other is a 2004. I have driven all of these cars, and the only ones with this "Embarrassing loss of power" problem are the WK's. Maybe the ESP is just too sensitive on these WK's?

hella_wk 10-24-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06GCLDK (Post 503473)
I am so happy you started a thread about this because I was going to do the same thing. My WK is an 06 and I have had this problem since day 1. I also find that if you hit a bump or small pothole shortly after accelerating from 0 (especially while turning after a stop) I get the same drop of rpm's/power. I have also came to the conclusion that it is the ESP that goes off when you "lose traction??" hitting small bumps, and thus the traction control kicks in as if you don't know how to drive. THe simple solution.......turn traction control off......I've never had it happen to me with it off. And one more thing to add, My brother drives a 2010 WK and his does the exact same thing. To add, My Dad and Mom both have WJ's, one is a 2003 and the other is a 2004. I have driven all of these cars, and the only ones with this "Embarrassing loss of power" problem are the WK's. Maybe the ESP is just too sensitive on these WK's?

Yeah ive been wanting to make a thread on it for a while. well for everybody that is pissed from losing power around a turn (or whimpy bumps), TURN OF YOUR TRACTION CONTROL! it will help (i hope, considering i havent tried it yet) lol
question: will i have to turn it off every time i start up the jeep? or once i turn it off, it stays off?

555ctsv 10-24-2011 09:15 PM

You'll have to turn it off each time you start the jeep. Pushing it once turns it off partially, holding it in for 10 seconds + turns it completely off. Good for flying through mud pits and allowing your tires to do some self tread cleaning :)

hella_wk 10-24-2011 09:21 PM

ohh well that's an inconvenience :thumbsup:

JeepCoop 10-24-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555ctsv (Post 503545)
You'll have to turn it off each time you start the jeep. Pushing it once turns it off partially, holding it in for 10 seconds + turns it completely off. Good for flying through mud pits and allowing your tires to do some self tread cleaning :)

Hell yeah!! Also great to assist in the 4 wheel powerslide!! ;)

misfit77 10-24-2011 09:49 PM

I got it too...QD1 (AWD)
It was real bad with my Sahara wheels.
After tire calibration its a little better, but I think the calibrator does not do anything that would effect that.

I am positive its from the differential between tire rotational speeds. I delete this by holding the traction button for a few while in P or Nuetral.