Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Turn Off DRL's on 2012 Overland

53K views 72 replies 37 participants last post by  ben.carew 
#1 ·
Is there a way to turn the daytime running lights off on a 2012 Overland?

#2 ·
Im sure it's the same as the 2011, I just pulled the fuses from under the hood for mine as many others have as well. Just do a search or look in the manual to see which fuses they are. Its the two bigger black fuses in the smaller fuse box forget the exact numbers.

#3 ·
Im sure it's the same as the 2011, I just pulled the fuses from under the hood for mine as many others have as well. Just do a search or look in the manual to see which fuses they are. Its the two bigger black fuses in the smaller fuse box forget the exact numbers.

Thanks. I haven't even ordered the vehicle just yet. I just will not buy any vehicle that doesn't have the availability to turn off the DRL's. So later when I'm looking at the GC again, I'll look under the hood for the 2 bigger black fuses.

#5 ·
Some people really dislike not being able to control the lighting. I used to be this way but I just don't care as much about it any more. I do think it is kind of ironic that someone would buy an Overland with automatic headlights but then worry if the DRLs are on. You're paying for all that luxury, might as well let it do it's job.

#9 ·
Regarding DRL's. We live in Utah along the Arizona border, very desolate country and very few paved roads. I always pull the fuse on my DRL's just because it seems dorky to be riding around in broad daylight, 30 miles from the nearest paved road, with your headlights on. I know where I'm going and there's no one out there to see me, so why ride around with your lights on?

#13 ·
Regarding DRL's. We live in Utah along the Arizona border, very desolate country and very few paved roads. I always pull the fuse on my DRL's just because it seems dorky to be riding around in broad daylight, 30 miles from the nearest paved road, with your headlights on. I know where I'm going and there's no one out there to see me, so why ride around with your lights on?
Most insurance companies offer a discount for DRL's. That's a good reason for them...

#12 ·
Very interested in this as well! Can't this be done by your dealer with a Star-Scan tool?

I think it might also be possible to enable the front fogs with hi-beams on as well. Different countries allow/require different lighting possiblities.

Does anyone know the star-scan menu or proceedure to do either of these things?? Thanks

#16 ·
I have this setup that worked great on my 2007 SRT8 and 2010 GC Limited,but don't know if it will work on the 2011 WK2.

starscan main menu > ECU view > FCM/CGW > misc. functions > enable front fog lamp output > start > next > disable > next > cancel > start > next > enable > next > export > next > finish.
Good Luck

#15 ·
In the fuse map listing that Echo22 provided I'll be darned if I see anything having to do with the DRL's. Maybe I'm getting old and my eyes are getting bad? In the past it's been simple to just pull the DRL fuse and lights out. Nothing else affected. We live so rurally, there's only 3 paved roads in the whole 4100 s/m county.

#17 · (Edited)
So does anyone, maybe Milous, know for sure if the dealer can turn off the DRL's with their scan tool?

Update: Took delivery earlier today (11/23). Dealer service tech said he tried to turn off the DRL's using their scan tool but on the 2012's, said it can't be done. I just don't think he tried very hard at all. I mentioned that 2 relays can be removed to turn them off and he said that would set a code. When I got home, I removed the 2 relays. DRL's are off and so far no codes that I'm aware of.

#19 · (Edited)
Took delivery earlier today. Dealer service tech said he tried to turn off the DRL's using their scan tool but on the 2012's, said it can't be done. I just don't think he tried very hard at all. I mentioned that 2 relays can be removed to turn them off and he said that would set a code. When I got home, I removed the 2 relays. DRL's are off and so far no MIL that I'm aware of. :)

#20 ·
First, be aware there are a lot of local laws that say you have to have them on if the car comes equipped. They can issue a ticket if they are off.

Second, they are there to make you more visible so you aren't hit in an accident. A light catches the eye more than the SUV itself.

Third, why turn them off anyway? I want as much light as possible at all times. I sometimes have hardwired fogs, etc. to stay on with high beams and also put in stronger "offroad" bulbs to increase light output. Just safer, less tiring on the eyes so you are more alert, etc.

Sorry but to me this seems like saying I don't want to have a horn or wipers that work in the rain. :slapfight:

#22 ·
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has recently released a technical report finds DRLs are of practically no use, and further admits that DRLs have negative safety consequences. In NHTSA's own words: "The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effect on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the drl effects were also not statistically significant. When examined separately for passenger cars and light trucks / van (LTVs) , drls in LTVs significantly reduced LTVs involvement in the target two vehicle by 5.7 percent. However, the remaining drl effects on these three target crashes were not statistically significiant. Although not statistically significant, drls might have unintended consequences for pedestrains and motorcycles. Particularly, the estimated negitive effects for LTV's were relatively large and cannont be completely ignored.
"Currently the NHTSA is in the rulemaking process in response to General Motors (GM) petition to mandate DRLs. This report will affect the rulemaking decision. Therefore the report is considered to contain 'highly influential scientific information'."
The document can be found at www.regulations.gov and entering 2008-0153-0004 in the Search field.

#23 ·
and----

First off, as of December 2010, there are no federal laws in the US that mandate DRLs on passenger vehicles. In fact, The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has denied a petition from General Motors to make DRLs mandatory. If your dealer refuses to disconnect your DRLs, saying "they're a mandatory safety item," then your dealer is lying, plain and simple.

#24 ·
Here is a reason why some people would want to turn off their DRL's

Thank GOD my laredo does not have them because I would disable them anyway.

• They add uneeded load to your electrical system
  • They cause unecessary heat to your light housing and headlight lenses which ages these crappy poly carbonate lenses that most cars have nowadays.
  • With added heat on the lenses, particles adhere to the lense surface easier which accelerates them looking cloudy overtime.
This is another reason to wash you car more often because this cloudiness less to less visibility at night due to low light output.

I looked at a Limited that was one of the first our local jeep dealer sold last year they lense already look pasty.

#29 ·
Here is a reason why some people would want to turn off their DRL's

Thank GOD my laredo does not have them because I would disable them anyway.

• They add uneeded load to your electrical system
  • They cause unecessary heat to your light housing and headlight lenses which ages these crappy poly carbonate lenses that most cars have nowadays.
  • With added heat on the lenses, particles adhere to the lense surface easier which accelerates them looking cloudy overtime.
This is another reason to wash you car more often because this cloudiness less to less visibility at night due to low light output.

I looked at a Limited that was one of the first our local jeep dealer sold last year they lense already look pasty.
This last sentence pretty much contradicts what you stated above. If the lenses already looked pasty, it's not due to the DRL running all the time if the jeep is brand new. I was always told that the cloudiness/hazy that forms over time is caused from high humidity in the air and I that the issue is more common in the south due to the long seasons of high humidity.

With that said, I may do away with mine, but what bothers me more is the fact they go off with the blinker...i know this is to distinguish the flashing, but it drives me nuts as it looks like I have a blown bulb when sitting at an intersection.

#28 ·
OK. just don't see the need still. They make you more visible, there are State laws, not Federal, that say they need to be on as I recall, and never heard the light pasty thing but as long as you wash it shouldn't be much of an issue. That said, personal preference and if you are maxing your alternator with bass and see lights dimming with the thumps for example I could see that being a reason maybe. I was an installer for a few years. And if you don't feel like changing the bulbs when they wear out. Whatever, love mine.

#30 · (Edited)
FYI, there is no law in the US that requires DRL's to be used. Not at the federal level or state level. There are still cars made today that don't have them, such as mine. Most states do require the use of headlights if your wipers are on however.

On a side note, our 2011 Charger R/T Max can either have DRL's on or off. It's a setting in the EVIC. Why it wasn't done the same way with Jeeps is beyond me.

#31 ·
FYI -

With all the controversy and "why in the world you disable the DRL's" dialog in this thread....thought I would get back to those who are looking to 86 the friggin things.

I just got my 2012 WK2 and simply removed the bulbs from the DRL lamp.

I know this sounds painfully simple, impossible yada yada. But the wires to the dedicated DRL bulb/housing (the one with the funny little Jeep grill on it) has two wires; red & white. Power and ground. No "I am burned out" sensor.

They are a pain to get to, driver side is really tough.

Basically twist lock and bulb housing comes out. Take the bulb out. Twist back in. No EVIC messages or warnings.

My plan is to intercept those wires on the bulb socket side (very accessible) and see if I can put an super bright LED replacement bulb and a factory looking switch to toggle them when I want it. I may even go into the housing and see if I can put a tasteful halo ring in there to upscale the lighting package (ala BMW).

Fyi, Audi and everyone is going back to LED powered accent rings in 2012+ and no more dots. Copycat Hyundai caught up and has ruined it for everyone.

My only complaint on the WK2 lighting is that when you put HID's on a vehicle everything needs to either be bright LEDs or HID....markers, parking, tail, stop.

Case and point: The fog lights. Those yellowish lamps are not "amber fog lamps" they are old school incandescent bulbs like the DRLs that just dribble yellow out and mismatch with the clean HID heat signature. Those are going to 4" HIDs in a week or so.

Anyway good luck. Cheers!

#32 ·
It's no big deal, you just pull the two relays (they are not fuses) and the lights go out. Nothing else is affected. Throw them in the glove box in case the forum headlight police show up.

#35 ·
The reason the polycarbonite lens get cloudy over time is not moisture, heat, or the headlights. Its the UV rays from our friend the Sun. These lens not only get cloudy, but also get small spider cracking and will become brittle over time. Don't know about other states but in Maryland, its the law to have DLRs or your headlights on anytime you have on your windshield wipers on. Isin't government controlling our lives wonderful?:banghead:

#36 ·
Pertaining to StarScan, it appears on WK2's from 2011 and forward, you cannot disable DRL's (even by changing country code) or allow the fog lamps to burn when the high beam headlight are selected via StarScan. Myself and a dealer tech spent a good amout of time first trying to enable video in motion (430-RBZ head unit) with no progress. We then moved onto attempting the drl and fog operation mods...no dice on that either. Once we tried to enable the fog/high beam mode, a message popped up which basically told us to F-off. Oh well... Can't say we didn't put forth a good effort though. On the brighter side of things, we're going to meet up in a week or so to make another attempt with a different approach.

#37 · (Edited)
Pertaining to StarScan, it appears on WK2's from 2011 and forward, you cannot disable DRL's (even by changing country code) or allow the fog lamps to burn when the high beam headlight are selected via StarScan. Myself and a dealer tech spent a good amout of time first trying to enable video in motion (430-RBZ head unit) with no progress. We then moved onto attempting the drl and fog operation mods...no dice on that either. Once we tried to enable the fog/high beam mode, a message popped up which basically told us to F-off. Oh well... Can't say we didn't put forth a good effort though. On the brighter side of things, we're going to meet up in a week or so to make another attempt with a different approach.

Are you saying you were unable to enable fogs with hi beams using a star-scan tool?

Did you try this sequence?

starscan main menu > ECU view > FCM/CGW > misc. functions > enable front fog lamp output > start > next > disable > next > cancel > start > next > enable > next > export > next > finish.

Let us know what you have discovered. Thanks

#38 ·
Raptor, it was roughly 2 weeks ago when we attempted some customization via StarScan. I honestly can't remember the exact steps we took when trying to enable the fogs. I'll give it another shot hopefully within the next few days and I'll let you know what we come up with.

Are you aware if it's possible to enable video in motion via StarScan? We tried for a good bit of time and kept coming up with a big NO.

#39 · (Edited)
Raptor, just reporting back to ya. We just tried the procedure you mentioned and the option to enable fogs w/ high beam operation is in fact NOT available in option list for my vehicle (listed in profile).

#40 ·
I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow for another service, I'm going to ask them to turn off the DRL's and see what they say. Not expecting much, they are not too willing to help out based on my experience so far.

#41 ·
Well, to my surprise the dealer did give it a effort. When the service tech hooked it up to the scan tool, there was never a option anywhere to turn the DRL's off.

Seems odd, he even said in the 300 you can turn them off in the EVIC.

#42 ·
My tech bud was telling me the same thing regarding fog/high beam operation as well for the 300's, some Dodge trucks, and a few other Chrysler vehicles, but none of them were 2011 model year. I guess someone lit the fuse on Mopar's tampon.

#57 ·
Thanks for the diagram! I picked up my Deep Cherry Red Overland Hemi a few weeks ago and the DRLs have been bothering me. The dealer said they can't do anything and if relays are pulled, errors with appear. Just drove 50 miles with relays out and no error. Great Forum and great responses. Just ordered my chrome foglight bezels today!

#67 ·
armored,

Yes, that is correct... you pull the 2 Omron's on the right, leaving the front middle one alone.
Bag them in the glove box or console...

And no more DRL's... that is until you reinstall them.
I'm having trouble with my Hi/low beams, is the remaining front middle relay for the lights? I cannot find a lights fuse or any other reference to hi/low relay. I get a very soft low beam and no hi beam and thought it might be a faulty relay. YThanks:)