Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Any non-OEM filter users, do you have knocking? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/any-non-oem-filter-users-do-you-have-knocking-30102.html)

bigpanda 10-25-2011 04:10 AM

Any non-OEM filter users, do you have knocking?

I'm using a K&N drop-in filter for my WK2 with V6 and have been experiencing little bit of knocking like sound from engine area. It only happens between 1500 and 2000 rpm when accelerating slowly.

So, I started using high octane gas and it went away for few months and now it came back. But not as bad as it was before.

Some of techs told me maybe aftermarket filter's causing it. I had service center run the engine scan but nothing came up.

Any idea?

rangersplash85 10-25-2011 06:05 AM

Re: Any non-OEM filter users, do you have knocking?

I use Wix filters without any issues. I highly doubt an after market oil filter would be the cause of knocking. Is your oil pressure good? What about coolant and oil temps?

fljeepleo 10-25-2011 06:13 AM

You mean air filter right?

Cherodude 10-25-2011 07:16 AM

I use the K&N drop in air filter with the V6. No knocking at any speed or throttle position.

bigpanda 10-25-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo (Post 503630)
You mean air filter right?

Sorry, yes air filter.

sbraun 10-25-2011 09:05 AM

As noted with other respondents above I have K&N Drop in Air Filter. For all my oil changes I have used a Wix cartridge oil filter on my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6 V6 without any problems. From what you indicate the problem could be with the quality of the 87 Octane fuel. Have you been refueling from the same location? I can remember about five years ago I used to get gas once a week from the same station. My engine started acting up and stalling. The dealer service department traced the problem to water in the fuel. Sure enough when I reported it to the gas station that I frequented the station found that water was leaking into one of their underground tanks.

rangersplash85 10-25-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 503674)
Sorry, yes air filter.

Ah makes sense now. I was thinking oil filter and I couldn't fathom how an oil filter would cause knocking.

bigpanda 10-25-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraun (Post 503684)
As noted with other respondents above I have K&N Drop in Air Filter. For all my oil changes I have used a Wix cartridge oil filter on my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6 V6 without any problems. From what you indicate the problem could be with the quality of the 87 Octane fuel. Have you been refueling from the same location? I can remember about five years ago I used to get gas once a week from the same station. My engine started acting up and stalling. The dealer service department traced the problem to water in the fuel. Sure enough when I reported it to the gas station that I frequented the station found that water was leaking into one of their underground tanks.

Yes, I usually go to the same gas station. I will try different one next time. Thanks.

Eric67 10-25-2011 01:35 PM

V6 with K&N drop in filter. No issues.

johncaravello 10-25-2011 02:31 PM

My guess is poor fuel also. Always use top tier fuel. Minimum 89 octane wouldn't hurt either. That engine can use all the help it can get moving around all of that weight.

misfit77 10-25-2011 02:58 PM

I think youre imagining it. A knock would cause the ecu to retard the timing and you wouldn't hear it.

I have a friend with a 2011 Subaru (non-turbo) that spends an extra 40 cents per gallon because he "hears a knock". The guy doesn't know anything about cars except what he reads and now has convinced himself that there is a knock.

I have drop-in in my 3.7, no issues. Had a homebrew CAI and no issues there either.

bigpanda 10-25-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 503860)
I think youre imagining it. A knock would cause the ecu to retard the timing and you wouldn't hear it.

I have a friend with a 2011 Subaru (non-turbo) that spends an extra 40 cents per gallon because he "hears a knock". The guy doesn't know anything about cars except what he reads and now has convinced himself that there is a knock.

I have drop-in in my 3.7, no issues. Had a homebrew CAI and no issues there either.

Sorry, I'm not imagining. Even though I'm not 100% sure it's knocking but I know it's not normal. I had a similar issue with when I bought '98 Durango w/360 and it had spark knock. Pentastar is a new engine and it makes little more cusious about it.

Another thing I want to check out is TSB 21-001-11, knocking/rattle noise coming from transmission area. But the noise I'm having is coming from the front.