Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/winter-tires-yokohama-geolanders-30107.html)

Scurvy 10-25-2011 06:58 AM

Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
So the falling white stuff is a month away and I am planning on breaking down my factory 18's and saying goodbye to the Michelin's.

I am looking for a good snow/off-road tire and have always used BFG All-Terrains on past vehicles, but they are just way too expensive to use a couple months out of the year.

I cam across some Yokohama Geolander AT's that have a similar beefy sidewall like the BFG's and claim they are great in the snow.

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Or a another recommendation?

DamonP 10-25-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Truly depends on the size you are running. Of course there's always dedicated Winter's such as Blizzaks DM-V1 or General Tire Alimax Arctic LT, but for a decent winter tread in an A/T I'd look for tires marked with the Severe Snow Symbol (Mountain Snowflake). The BFG AT T/As have it as well as the Good Year Wrangler Duratrac's. Personally I'd like to run Duratracs (they're also studdable if that's legal in your region).

Kevlars 10-26-2011 12:22 AM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
I have thoes tires on my WK2 with 185 60 18's-- they ride great and dont rub on any settings. I have not had them in the snow. Also they dont make much road noise at all.

Good luck !!!

Scurvy 10-26-2011 04:55 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
thanks for the input guys. i looked at a lot of reviews for them and overall they seem well liked. i ordered a set of them in 265/60/18 from Detroit Wheel & Tire for $710 installed and balanced. they were $600 plus $90 for shipping on tirerack so it was a pretty decent deal. plus now i have a set of michelins with 7,000 miles on them to off on craigslist.

i looked at some blizzaks too which were a little more expensive, but i decided to get an AT tire in case i do want to do some minor offroading in the summer months....or in case the zombies show up.

pbalias 11-09-2011 10:36 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurvy (Post 504512)
thanks for the input guys. i looked at a lot of reviews for them and overall they seem well liked. i ordered a set of them in 265/60/18 from Detroit Wheel & Tire for $710 installed and balanced. they were $600 plus $90 for shipping on tirerack so it was a pretty decent deal. plus now i have a set of michelins with 7,000 miles on them to off on craigslist.

i looked at some blizzaks too which were a little more expensive, but i decided to get an AT tire in case i do want to do some minor offroading in the summer months....or in case the zombies show up.

Hey Scurvy...can you post some pics? Looking to upgrade to this size too. Do you have QL?

Scurvy 11-13-2011 02:56 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
2 Attachment(s)
I just put them on yesterday. They ride very well and are quiet on the expressway.


http://jeepgarage.org/attachment.php...1&d=1321213668


http://jeepgarage.org/attachment.php...1&d=1321213851

bEEpX11 11-16-2011 11:50 AM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
can't see the picture, i'm assuming you went with the Good Year Wrangler Duratrac's ? i'm trying to decide what winter tires to put on my lardeo-x any input would be great appreciated

Scurvy 11-16-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bEEpX11 (Post 516330)
can't see the picture, i'm assuming you went with the Good Year Wrangler Duratrac's ? i'm trying to decide what winter tires to put on my lardeo-x any input would be great appreciated

i attached the pics as well. i went with yokohama

J13ntv 11-18-2011 11:39 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Whats your summer tire? Or you running these 365 - 24/7

Scurvy 11-19-2011 09:39 AM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 518011)
Whats your summer tire? Or you running these 365 - 24/7

I have factory 20" wheels for the summer with Goodyear Fortera's on them (the stock tire from the dealer for that rim) but i must say these geolanders are a much more comfortable ride...oh the difference a sidewall on your tire can make!

Actually in the pic i have a 20 on the front and an 18 on the back.

Scurvy 11-19-2011 09:45 AM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Hey J13ntv how has your Corsa been treating you? Now that the temps around hear have been freezing in the morning, i get a little extra growl out of them when she starts ups.

J13ntv 11-19-2011 05:38 PM

Re: Winter Tires - Yokohama Geolanders?
 
Did you buy a set of 18" take offs from someone on the forums? Where did you end up finding the winter set of rims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurvy (Post 518125)
Hey J13ntv how has your Corsa been treating you? Now that the temps around hear have been freezing in the morning, i get a little extra growl out of them when she starts ups.

+1 Ive noticed that as well. Its been like that for the past couple of months with the cooler mornings. Once the car warms up a bit and its back to the low idle it sounds the same as usual though :( :lol:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community