Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   rear end slow speed whine/howl (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/rear-end-slow-speed-whine-howl-30139.html)

erichbeaulieu@yahoo.com 10-25-2011 09:24 PM

rear end slow speed whine/howl

05 limited .... began getting low speed howl/whine in the last 30 days. changed the fluid in rear as thats where it appear to originate from . Had it on a rack and rolling about 20 mph and it was pretty evident. pretty pronounced when slowign to a stop, sounds like youre driving creeper gear on an old 3/4 ton truck

Is that a pinion bearing ? how much to get that dealt with. only 78k miles. I am second owner only about the last 7k. is that somethign that could be diguised ? at Hwy speed its not real noticable. I am running 31" tires and also rotated them and still nothing changed.

thanks

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-25-2011 09:46 PM

Re: rear end slow speed whine/howl

did you add friction modifier?

Chaoul1 10-25-2011 09:52 PM

I have this low whine. SOmetimes I feel like it's grinding....Iam going to do the Rear Differential Fluid soon. It could be a bearing.

2005JGC 10-25-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 504082)
did you add friction modifier?

I'll second this question!

erichbeaulieu@yahoo.com 10-26-2011 09:22 AM

yes, added mopar modifier....had no impact. anyone have any input on the larger tires perhaps impacting it ? I havent reprogrammed for tire size. Need to get a tuner

dandankler 10-27-2011 10:41 AM

my truck had this whine it was my gears out of mesh you might need your rearend looked at ....if you start wearing a new pattern in the gears you will have to replace them:(

dandankler 10-27-2011 10:44 AM

also try driving on a dirt road where there is less traction if it stops then you have a problem.....mine wouldnt whine until i hit pavement ....

erichbeaulieu@yahoo.com 10-30-2011 11:15 AM

I will go off the highway today and check that out. I seem to recall last weekend when out hanging deerstands it still was present. If its still present even off pavement....you think that likley isnt a bearing issue ??? I do notice that at about 50 it is mostly gone or gome altogether. I run a moderate AT tread so there is some tire noise to contend with, but it for sure decreases.

erichbeaulieu@yahoo.com 10-30-2011 09:59 PM

no real change off pavement...... what impact would using 85-140 vs 75-140 have ? any thoughts

dandankler 10-31-2011 12:59 AM

im not sure how significant the oil weight would be .......i would still have it looked at........or just run it until it breaks, thats what i do...:D