Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rolling backwards on a grade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rolling-backwards-on-a-grade-30156.html)

bond7 10-26-2011 09:40 AM

Rolling backwards on a grade

Where I live, we have some stop lights/stop signs where I am on a grade. If I lift my foot off the brake when stopped, my Jeep will roll backwards.

Is this normal? I don't remember my Maxima doing this.

ColdCase 10-26-2011 09:56 AM

Re: Rolling backwards on a grade

Most cars with auto trans will role backward, but I thought HSA is standard on the JGC... but I could be wrong.. With HSA you will roll backward after a delay.

Hill-start Assist (HSA): Assists drivers when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the level of brake pressure applied for a short period of time after a driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal. If throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal, brake pressure will be released

Crestwood1001 10-26-2011 10:11 AM

Mine rolls a bit to, dosnt bother me at all, but I also used to drive a manual so I'm kinda used to it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

computerwiz621 10-26-2011 10:47 AM

Mine generally does not roll back on a hill. Although I think the amount of brake pressure you applied to stop on the hill may have something to do with it. Or maybe it can sense the incline.

Is hill start assist enabled in your EVIC?

Knightrider03m 10-26-2011 01:08 PM

It should not roll back. My Jeep never rolled back on steep grades. In fact, On steep grades I always had to fight the breaks to let go of the car when I take off.

Cherodude 10-26-2011 05:34 PM

As computerwiz noted, Hill Start Assist must be enabled via the EVIC. Navigate to the Setup screen make sure the check mark is activated for Hill Start Assist.

jeep2011 10-26-2011 06:58 PM

No this isn't normal for the WKII's they have the new hill brake assist. It will hold the brake's for about 2 seconds. After that if you haven't started moving forward it will start to roll back. If you plan to sit on a hill without using your brakes it will not hold you.

PECo 10-26-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 504600)
Nobodys said what years have it.... My 05 does not have that option, and this ^ guy has a 2011, they obviously all don't have it.

You're in the WK2 (i.e., 2011-2012) forum, Crestwood1001. :)

beepbeepimajeep 10-26-2011 09:44 PM

My 07 rolls back faster than any other automatic I have ever driven. Shouldn't be an issue with hill start assist on the wk2.

Gold Rat Tooth 10-27-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bond7 (Post 504285)
Where I live, we have some stop lights/stop signs where I am on a grade. If I lift my foot off the brake when stopped, my Jeep will roll backwards.

Is this normal? I don't remember my Maxima doing this.

ya. I had that same thing happen to me. I dont knw where the Hill assist thing is.

Kevlars 10-27-2011 02:18 PM

As Cherodude and Computerwiz has pointed out .. it needs to be selected in the EVIC