Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2012 Overland question

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am considering a 12 Overland 4x4 Hemi. This will be my first JGC. I have never been offloading, but I would like to start. I live in California, but I drive to Mammoth in the winter.

My question is in regards to the Offroad Adventure Package II. I have learned the the 2012 model requires the OAPII in order to get the front ELSD. Will I regret not getting this package? It appears to still have the rear ELSD? How much capability will I lose? Thanks for any help!

#2 · (Edited)
They don't make a front ELSD for any 2011 or 2012 JGC model. The rear ELSD is currently available only as part of the Overland ORA or Summit package. It was more widely available in 2011.

If you are new to off roading, you probably wouldn't notice the lack of ELSD unless you routinely ride with a rear tire off the ground, in deep mud, sand, or in heavy snow. Things you shouldn't come across much on moderate trails or rarely on easy trails. You will have brake traction control to reduce wheel spin regardless. ELSD allows more power to be directed to the wheel with traction, most useful in the more challenging trails and heavy snow/mud conditions IMHO. Lockers are perferred, of corse, but they take a bit more skill to use. Us amateurs have a tendency to forget to disengage them and get ourselves into trouble. If you do a lot of off road with wheel spinning, the ELSD will reduce wear and tear on the rear brakes.

ORA also includes skid plates, tow hooks, and 18 inch tires, which are a significant benefit when off roading (if you go clubbing tow hooks are typically mandatory). You can install these pieces yourself, but the tow hooks take a lot of work.

There are many moderate trail runners without ELSD and they do just fine, the JGC is pretty capable as is. If you want to ride the more challenging trails you may want to think about a different model Jeep. Ground clearance and tire choice, along with driver skill will make much more difference than an ELSD rear IMHO.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am confused regarding the ELSD. I was under the impression that the ORAII incorporated Quadra-drive. I thought the QD gave front AND rear ELSD. I'll see if I can finds the link where I read this. I may just have information overload. :confused: :lol:

#6 ·
That was true prior to 2011, quadra drive had ELSD on both front and rear. Dropping front ELSD was one of the biggest disappointments some had of the WK2.

#4 ·
I just took a look at the 2011 Owners Manual and the build sheet on my 2012 Overland. I have QDII and To my knowledge the only axle that is ELSD is the rear. The front was never ELSD.

#7 · (Edited)
There is definitely some ambiguity whether both front and rear have ELSD. Here is one of the websites that infers both have ELSD.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#QTII

"A key component in the Quadra-Drive II system is the ELSD – an industry first application – and the new benchmark for automatic traction differentials. The ELSD use electronically controlled clutch packs to automatically and instantly vary from slip to lock at each axel. This maximizes traction when needed without any of the on-road drawbacks normally associated with such a robust 4 x 4 system."

This is all very confusing. Is this erroneous information?

#9 ·
Quadra drive, quadra tracs, select tracs features change from year to year, you need to make sure you are looking at the information for your year.... WK2 for 2011/2012

Most of these names been around for decades, and that can lead to confusion.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for clearing up my confusion. I now understand there is only a rear ELSD. With that said, will it be a mistake to get the Overland 4x4 Hemi without the OFAII and no ELSD? Will there be a signifcant reduction in capabilities with only the Quadra-Trac? Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.