Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   coolant leak - rad cap - temp gauge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/coolant-leak-rad-cap-temp-gauge-3022.html)

rvtifer 10-03-2009 12:01 PM

coolant leak - rad cap - temp gauge

I noticed that the radiator cap leaked two weeks back. No big deal, I toped up coolant and put another cap. A couple days ago I opened the hood and realized that the coolant reservoir was empty. The cap was leaking again. I ordered something a bit stronger as well as a tsat 180 but my question is this.
If your engine is leaking coolant, from the rad cap or elsewhere, will you see it from the driving seat. Will the coolant temp gauge show an increase in temperature or will the lack of coolant not be reflected at all ?

Scottina06 10-03-2009 06:49 PM

Re: coolant leak - rad cap - temp gauge

if your losing coolant...it will run hot

dreamer1213 10-03-2009 07:10 PM

If its leaking will your driving...you probably won't notice it...my little work truck threw out almost all its coolant while driving down the road because of a radiator cap issue, and I didn't notice it...

If it throws all of the coolant out....your gauge will probably read higher, because there's nothing in there to keep the engine cool..

scottydog 10-04-2009 08:42 AM

Maybe it's the other way around, that you're losing coolant because your engine is overheating. Change your thermostat, flush the radiator.

robpp 10-04-2009 10:50 AM

1. i had spray once. I caught it the first day and changed to an 18LB locking cap. Stant.
2. just because you filled the resevior the first time deosnt mean you filled the system completely. perjhaps that is the issue. you had fixed the problem yet hadnt COMPLETELY filled the system. sdepending how low it is, it could take a few reseviors full to FILL IT UP. Its a air free system and as you drive it uses vacuum to suck the fluid from the resevior. that takes a little time and the motor literally burps. use the heater too to help get all the air out.

so maybe that explains it all. fill the resevior. drive. check, fill the resevior, driver check. it should stabalize aftr about 3 runs. if not then coolant is going somewhere else//////////

rvtifer 10-04-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottydog (Post 72317)
Maybe it's the other way around, that you're losing coolant because your engine is overheating. Change your thermostat, flush the radiator.

I do not think so because the coolant temp pretty nuch stays a notch below the middle all the time but a T-stat 180 is on its way anyway so it will be changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 72356)
1. i had spray once. I caught it the first day and changed to an 18LB locking cap. Stant.
2. just because you filled the resevior the first time deosnt mean you filled the system completely. perjhaps that is the issue. you had fixed the problem yet hadnt COMPLETELY filled the system. sdepending how low it is, it could take a few reseviors full to FILL IT UP. Its a air free system and as you drive it uses vacuum to suck the fluid from the resevior. that takes a little time and the motor literally burps. use the heater too to help get all the air out.

so maybe that explains it all. fill the resevior. drive. check, fill the resevior, driver check. it should stabalize aftr about 3 runs. if not then coolant is going somewhere else//////////

Yep 18 Lb locking cap as well and yeah I did refill it a couple times to get it stable at the "full" line but am pretty sure that the cap is leaking again. There is orangeish coolant residue on the cap.

Thanks again all for advice and sharing you experience and expertise

robpp 10-04-2009 06:58 PM

sure man, i hope you get it figured out......

i just came back from 1600 miles in 3 days. it was as hot as 95 while i was climbing up steep grades, and as cold as 40's where we put the heat on. since the locking cap, nary a drop needed.

rvtifer 11-08-2009 04:13 PM

A quick follow up to thank you guys for the feed back. I got a t-stat 180 and the 18 lb cap installed around 4,200 km ago and its all good. Here is what the top of the OE thermostat looked like

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...fer/RadCap.jpg

GratefulDeadWK 12-22-2010 08:37 AM

Sorry to bump up an old thread,

But I'm seem to be having a minor drip from my rad cap as well.

How much did that 18lb cap set you back and where can I get one?

rvtifer 12-22-2010 03:23 PM

It was a stant 18 lbs and I think I got it around 15 bucks on amazon