Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Why would I not get the skid plates? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/why-would-i-not-get-the-skid-plates-30223.html)

JGCCAYENNE 10-27-2011 03:00 PM

Why would I not get the skid plates?

On Friday, I am going to order a Limited 4x4 with the V8, and the Luxury Group II package. I noticed that the Off-Road Adventure 1 package (skid plates and tow hooks) is only $550. I will not use the JGC for any kind of serious off-road work (I know, I know, that makes me a Poseur), but for $550, I cannot resist getting this package.

Is there any downside? I live in Dallas so winter salt on roads is not an issue. We just throw sand and gravel all over the place when there is snow and ice on the roads.

JoeSchmoe007 10-27-2011 03:05 PM

Re: Why would I not get the skid plates?

On this or another forum I think someone reported that skid plates caused something (transmission?) to overheat when towing.

ColdCase 10-27-2011 03:20 PM

It adds about 40 pounds, so your mileage will be off by .001 mpg or something like that :)

Kevlars 10-27-2011 03:43 PM

Any protection is a good thing .. if anything it will protect your tender underbelly from rouge debris....

PECo 10-27-2011 04:13 PM

An earlier thread states that all of the skid plates weigh just under 100 pounds:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...+plates&page=2

ColdCase 10-27-2011 04:47 PM

Does the limited lux package include 20 inch wheels? If so you may lose them with the ORA.

JGCCAYENNE 10-27-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 505052)
Does the limited lux package include 20 inch wheels? If so you may lose them with the ORA.

No, the wheels stay 18".

Raptor 10-27-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGCCAYENNE (Post 504980)
On Friday, I am going to order a Limited 4x4 with the V8, and the Luxury Group II package. I noticed that the Off-Road Adventure 1 package (skid plates and tow hooks) is only $550. I will not use the JGC for any kind of serious off-road work (I know, I know, that makes me a Poseur), but for $550, I cannot resist getting this package.

Is there any downside? I live in Dallas so winter salt on roads is not an issue. We just throw sand and gravel all over the place when there is snow and ice on the roads.

You may not really need the skids if you never go offroad, but they are nice to have for the added protection, just in case. The included tow hooks may really come in handy one day however and I would definately want them. You might get stuck or be able to pull someone else who is stuck.

Most new GC buyers would like to get the hooks and skids, but if you choose the option package with them Jeep does not include them with the 20" wheels. I plan on getting the 20" wheels (only because I like them better than the 18's) and adding the hooks and skids later.

HEMInator 10-27-2011 07:28 PM

I added the skid plates myself because I wanted to keep the 20" Wheels so I would definitely get them. I also added two Trail Rated badges and had ordered the tow hooks but the dealer couldn't get them in time before I picked up my vehicle so I was just going to get them from my local dealer but then I saw there are supposed to be Chrome Tow Hooks coming out so I'm waiting for those and will get them as soon as they're available.

Jeeters 10-27-2011 09:46 PM

I do light off roading and can avoid full skid plates if i'm careful but I'll be getting OR1 just for the gas tank plate. That gas tank is in a really vulnerable location and I'm afraid of scraping it on a larger rock I miss seeing, or kicking up something sharp into it. I don't trust the plastic shield that comes with it which is probably more to just protect from small pebble debris from the highway more than anything else.
EDIT: Oh, and I definitely want the tow hooks. My other reason for getting OR1.

Jeep On 10-27-2011 10:41 PM

Get the skids. Cheaper now than later, protection on & off road, and because it's a Jeep. :)

bromhead 10-28-2011 10:30 AM

Poseur, :)

You got a 4x4, get the plates, its a cheap option, who knows, maybe you will take it off road. As Hemi stated, if you want 20inch slicks, you will have to install the skids yourself as the or1 package is not compatible with the 20inch wheels option.
cheers,

Chris