Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Spare Tire Relocation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/spare-tire-relocation-30226.html)

PECo 10-27-2011 03:46 PM

Spare Tire Relocation

Has anyone relocated the spare tire to underneath their Jeep? On the jeep.com website, I found the following reference:
Quote:

You'll also find. . . a newly located gas tank that allows the tire to be mounted under the vehicle for added versatility.
I'd expect that Mopar would eventually have a kit for this.

CrazyJ 10-27-2011 04:25 PM

Re: Spare Tire Relocation

I'm interested in this. That void under the car should have been used for something.

Cherodude 10-27-2011 05:34 PM

There sure is a huge space there. I wonder why the entire spare tire/rear floor wasn't lowered to give us this space inside the vehicle.

PECo 10-27-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherodude (Post 505066)
There sure is a huge space there. I wonder why the entire spare tire/rear floor wasn't lowered to give us this space inside the vehicle.

Hopefully, it wasn't lowered to leave space for the spare tire to be mounted outside of the vehicle. ;)

Cherodude 10-28-2011 05:52 PM

If you can make the mod work, let us know how it works out.

fljeepleo 10-28-2011 07:46 PM

Having the entire spare tire compartment open would be great, although keeping the spare inside the car keeps it in much better shame come time to use it.

CrazyJ 11-13-2011 05:35 PM

I took the spare off and positioned it where it would be behind the rear axle under the car. It's too big-- even when touching the sway bar it wouldn't fit behind the hitch mount. Maybe a smaller size spare would work. Then you'd need to figure out the mounting. I don't think the sheet metal could take the load, so you'd have to strap it up or something.

The spare tire compartment was huge though, and it was very usable space. If I ever need the room, and I'm leaving from my house, I'll just leave the spare at the house. It only takes a few seconds to remove.

Paul Y. 11-16-2011 03:02 PM

I think I'll appreciate where it is if I need to get to it on a dark cold rainy night.

brandont 11-16-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyJ (Post 514655)
I took the spare off and positioned it where it would be behind the rear axle under the car. It's too big-- even when touching the sway bar it wouldn't fit behind the hitch mount.

What if it was mounted at an angle? How much more clearance do you think would be needed? Also, do you have the V8 or the V6?

There has to be something that can be done with that space. Extra gas tank? Toolbox below the spare floor?

67rally 11-16-2011 05:28 PM

I have thought about this too. It seems like you could fit a lot of stereo components in the spare tire area out of site.

However, my last SUV had a spare mounted under it. After 10 New England winters, it was so rusted in place that I ended up carrying a couple cans of fix-a-flat just in case. All the WD-40 or PB Blaster in the world wasn't going to remove it.

Lingohocken 11-16-2011 11:15 PM

Maybe subbing one of those small donut spares -- 15", say -- would be a workable compromise? What the heck, except in remote areas we all call AAA or whatever anyway to fix flats. (Make sure your lug nuts are torqued to spec if you might be removing them with the stock lug wrench. Ours came from the factory so far above spec that my torque wrench peaked 40 ft/lbs above spec and still they wouldn't budge.)

I still can't get over how much stuff can be shoehorned into the stock space. As for an audio amp, there's huge amounts of open space in front of the V6, at any rate. Granted, heat is the enemy of electronics, but surround the amp with a sealed box lined with insulating foam and it should be okay.

brandont 11-17-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 516686)
Maybe subbing one of those small donut spares -- 15", say -- would be a workable compromise?

The problem with mounting it below is in the diameter and a smaller diameter spare would probably damage your 4wd system.