Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   High idle but clean intake and IAC port???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/high-idle-but-clean-intake-and-iac-port-30263.html)

4923CREW 10-27-2011 10:09 PM

High idle but clean intake and IAC port????

Hello all,
I am having an issue where my 4.7L is idling high randomly. I have taken off the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned all carbon off of it and still the issue exists where when I am in gear the RPM is at about 1500 and if you put it in to PARK the rpm then goes rapidly up to about 2500 RPM. Also some times if I just restart the motor it will be fine (normal) for a while.

Is there a way of testing the IAC? also could this me a PCM issue that is just annoying me?

thanks for your help

jeremy

Frango100 10-27-2011 10:29 PM

Re: High idle but clean intake and IAC port????

I presume that you removed the IAC stepper motor when you cleaned the TB?
Many times the plunjer of the IAC motor is dirty and the air passage as well.
When you look closely to the IAC motor connector, are the wires properly connected (just wiggle gently to see if there is some wire breakage). If that looks ok, your problem could be the IAC stepper motor itself, or your TPS. You could try wiggling the TPS connector with the engine running and see if idle changes.

4923CREW 10-28-2011 10:51 AM

thanks for the quick reply frank. to answer your question i already looed at the wires and all are good. the other thing i forgot was the previous owned just replaced the IAC only ablut 300 miles ago. so heres my new question, could the motor just be stuck and not move?

nwb300 10-28-2011 02:02 PM

I agree with the TPS. They are cheap to replace ($32 at Autozone). My RPS went wacky a few months back and I replaced that and it went away. Also, be careful when cleaning the stepper motor. Don't twist the plunger when cleaning it. Its pretty fragile.

mtp78 10-30-2011 03:14 PM

Anything is possible and you could have a pcm or IAC issue. First thing you could check is for clean and tight computer grounds on the engine. Any check engine light?

Before you just start replacing parts. If you have acess to a scan tool you can monitor data. You can always scope a tps sensor and see the voltage to real time throttle response. It is a 5 volt refrence input sensor. At idle you should see proper values of .50 to .80 of a volt.

You might also check for a vacuum leak. On a fuel injected vehicle a small leak will cause a idle surge or higher than normal idle speeds.