Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Bad Heater Core (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/bad-heater-core-30317.html)

GLozier 10-29-2011 01:53 PM

Bad Heater Core

I am having a heating issue with the 04 WJ I bought a month ago. I've started hearing liquid sloshing around behind the dash on the passenger side, pretty sure it's the heater core. I get some heat from the vents when the engine is warmed up but its not hot air. Should I try to have the cooling system flushed or just go ahead and do a heater core replacement? I'm experiencing some loss of coolant from the tank but I don't know if the system may have been low to begin with. I get a light smell of coolant inside once in awhile but not consistently. I want to eliminate all possibilities before I spend a s#&$ load of money on the heater core replacement.

Frango100 10-29-2011 04:44 PM

Re: Bad Heater Core

Not sure if the coolant will stay inside the HVAC housing if there is a leak in the heater core. And if there is coolant inside, you should smell it always when you switch on the blower. I heard from others that the floor was getting wet when they had a leaking heater core. I would first topoff the cooling system and check over a week or so if the level drops. Also check if the heater hoses inside the engine bay are not kinked and resistricting or completely blocking the coolant flow to the heater core. Feel both lines close to the bulkhead if they are both hot.
There is also a HVAC drain which goes to the engine bay. Check with a wire or so if its not blocked and keeping liquid inside.
That the air is not hot, could also have to do with the blend door(s). If you have the manual airco system, than there is one blend door and for the automatic zone control there are 2 blend doors. If the actuator is broken or the door stuck, you could also end up with no heat.
Remember that for a heater core change you have to remove the whole dash to get access to the HVAC housing, so quite a job.

mtp78 10-30-2011 02:47 PM

Re: Bad Heater Core

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLozier (Post 506059)
I am having a heating issue with the 04 WJ I bought a month ago. I've started hearing liquid sloshing around behind the dash on the passenger side, pretty sure it's the heater core. I get some heat from the vents when the engine is warmed up but its not hot air. Should I try to have the cooling system flushed or just go ahead and do a heater core replacement? I'm experiencing some loss of coolant from the tank but I don't know if the system may have been low to begin with. I get a light smell of coolant inside once in awhile but not consistently. I want to eliminate all possibilities before I spend a s#&$ load of money on the heater core replacement.

I had the same issue, and yes it was the core. Do not make the mistake I did and purchase an o.e core. Three years ago I did the evap core and changed the heater core with an aftermarker core since it was a pain in the ass job. And never wanted to do it again.

Well then a month ago I am hearing some sloshing around, and the next day the core blew and had coolant coming on the floor and steam out of the vents. So this time I bought a chrysler core which comes with all the foam already glued to the core not like the aftermarket one. Me and a friend did the whole job in 4 hrs. I took the front seats out and just lowered the steering column to save some time. Check out youtube . There is a 4 step video some guy made. You don't have to take the inst. cluster,glove box door or steering column out of the vehicle to save time. In the video he does. Nice thing is when you take the heater box out the heater core slips right out after remove the retainer clips.

If you have some mileage on your vehicle change the evap core and install the updated blend door assembly. Use all O.E parts. Its worth doing it if your going to keep the vehicle. Trust me its worth it .