Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Passenger seat rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/passenger-seat-rattle-30373.html)

kaflyboy 10-31-2011 08:19 AM

Passenger seat rattle

Is anyone else's passenger seat rattling when you hit bumps in road? Sounds like in headrest area.
Dealer can't fix it. Looking for solutions to let them know what it is. Driving me crazy.

tks2010 10-31-2011 09:38 AM

Re: Passenger seat rattle

I had an undiagnosed rattle for a long time. I finally found it to be the seat belt latch on the side of the passenger seat. If the latch is too far forward, the plastic latch rattles against the side of the seat. One day I discovered that moving the latch back toward the back seat solved my rattle.

JoeSchmoe007 10-31-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 506688)
Is anyone else's passenger seat rattling when you hit bumps in road? Sounds like in headrest area.
Dealer can't fix it. Looking for solutions to let them know what it is. Driving me crazy.

Yeah I seem to have that. Also when driving with windows open I used to get some noise from the rear seat. Turned out to be a seat belt for middle passenger - after I fastened it down noise disappeared.

kaflyboy 10-31-2011 10:16 AM

It's for sure not the passenger side seat belt. From what can tell its in headrest. When I put my arm on headrest the rattle stops.
Very strange.

Robey5 10-31-2011 10:27 AM

Yep: I have the same rattle (from the passenger seat head rest).

I noticed that it is not there when the seat is unoccupied, meaning that if the seat is "loaded" the mechanical parts that would rattle would be moved far enough from eachother so they don't touch. Or, the seat back cannot move with a passenger sitting there... The rattle does drive me nuts as well.

Kevlars 10-31-2011 11:19 AM

I lowered the headrest to the lowest position...and it helped but did not eliminate it.

jgc4ever 10-31-2011 12:03 PM

I hear squeaky noises in the interior that occur when going over small bumps in the road. Definitely sounds like an interior noise but I can't locate it. Any ideas?

edit: Dealer fixed this issue. There was an unsecured piece of plastic inside the overhead console.

Darby Crash 10-31-2011 12:42 PM

I think there's a TSB for the passenger seat problem......I'm going to the dealer this week because this is driving me crazy. I have to put my arm around the headrest to stop the noise, or always have somebody driving with me.

gokart508 10-31-2011 12:59 PM

This drove me crazy for months, but i did find what it is. Mine was coming from the passenger side bolster rubbing on the center console arm rest. To confirm i adjusted the passenger seat all the way forward until it wasn't hitting the console and presto, sound was gone. Your passenger won't be comfortable in this position, so i just ignore the sound now. Doesn't bother me now knowing exactly where it was coming from. I hope this helps.

JoeSchmoe007 10-31-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robey5 (Post 506732)
Yep: I have the same rattle (from the passenger seat head rest).

I noticed that it is not there when the seat is unoccupied, meaning that if the seat is "loaded" the mechanical parts that would rattle would be moved far enough from eachother so they don't touch. Or, the seat back cannot move with a passenger sitting there... The rattle does drive me nuts as well.

Mine is there when the seat is NOT occupied

gokart508 10-31-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 506858)
Mine is there when the seat is NOT occupied

Please see above post.

5.7Unlimited 10-31-2011 09:28 PM

It's the headrest... the plastic adaptive headrest rattles when there isn't a passenger applying pressure with their head. I get the rattle on even small bumps. I'm considering taking apart the headrest but I dont want something to blow up in my face.