Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First Snow in New England (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-snow-in-new-england-30374.html)

Sgman16 10-31-2011 08:23 AM

First Snow in New England
 
2 Attachment(s)
We got our first storm of the season here in MA (a little early); I was down in the south shore area this weekend and had to dig out the Jeep, but took a few pictures before...quality isn't great since I took them with my blackberry.

hammer1234 10-31-2011 09:08 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Over 6 inches at home, without power for 2 days so far. Roads were a mess on Saturday night.

I noticed that our Jeep sounded a bit "noisy" in the front (more on the driver's side) when going over snowy roads. I have not had a true SUV in a while so I was not sure if that was normal...but in any case the Jeep did pretty well in the snow considering that we are running with the OEM all-seasons.

johhn14 10-31-2011 09:42 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Mine did pretty good too - I popped it into "Snow" mode for the first time. It felt like something was grinding ever so slightly when hitting the accelerator, but I think it's probably not a big deal.

The tires seemed ok but I'd like to convince myself to get some new ones. Trouble is finding something good for the 20's. I'm thinking either some 275/55/20s LTX MS2s or Wrangler Silent Armor but need to confirm that they would fit.

DaBigBone 10-31-2011 09:46 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Lucky! We wont have snow for another 4 weeks but I LOVE it!

77rednecktruck 10-31-2011 09:53 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
That noise is the front tires doing something other than just holding the front bumper off the ground. :)

I was down at OBX the past week and only heard the front tires kick in a few times on the sand.

AAAA 10-31-2011 09:58 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgman16 (Post 506689)
We got our first storm of the season here in MA (a little early); I was down in the south shore area this weekend and had to dig out the Jeep, but took a few pictures before...quality isn't great since I took them with my blackberry.

Around here that is "drive out" deep snow, not "dig out" deep snow. But thanks for the pix anyway.:thumbsup:

hammer1234 10-31-2011 10:05 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 506715)
That noise is the front tires doing something other than just holding the front bumper off the ground. :)

I was down at OBX the past week and only heard the front tires kick in a few times on the sand.

Just wondering if the additional noises I'd heard were "normal"...would that be from the front differential? It was not from the tires, sounded like it was in front of the driver's side.

I've had AWD systems on other vehicles before but I never heard additional noise from them when they were working.

Last time I heard anything similar was on my '93 Explorer when I had it in 4WD.

I have a Laredo X with the QT I system.

AAAA 10-31-2011 10:11 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
You should not "hear the front tires kick in". You might hear them slip a little on soft or icy ground. I have owned 2 AWD and 4 4WD (including a 3 speed non-synchromesh International Scout) vehicles over the years and have not heard anything like that. Something may be wrong with the vehicle.

Sgman16 10-31-2011 10:36 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 506716)
Around here that is "drive out" deep snow, not "dig out" deep snow. But thanks for the pix anyway.:thumbsup:

When I say dig out, I meant just getting the snow off the Jeep; I don't usually like to leave 7 inches of snow on the top to fall off onto others driving behind me (unlike most Boston drivers)...There was no shoveling on the driveway to get out.

hammer1234 10-31-2011 10:38 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 506725)
You should not "hear the front tires kick in". You might hear them slip a little on soft or icy ground. I have owned 2 AWD and 4 4WD (including a 3 speed non-synchromesh International Scout) vehicles over the years and have not heard anything like that. Something may be wrong with the vehicle.

Will have to just listen for it then...have not heard it again since we have been on dry pavement.

skinny 10-31-2011 11:15 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer1234 (Post 506719)
Just wondering if the additional noises I'd heard were "normal"...would that be from the front differential? It was not from the tires, sounded like it was in front of the driver's side.

I've had AWD systems on other vehicles before but I never heard additional noise from them when they were working.

Last time I heard anything similar was on my '93 Explorer when I had it in 4WD.

I have a Laredo X with the QT I system.

Mine would make the same noise. It was usually when letting off the gas or making right hand slow turns. Sounded like a tennis ball shaking in a coffee can coming from the right drivers side. Took it in nothing was found and they couldn't duplicate the noise.

AAAA 10-31-2011 11:43 AM

Re: First Snow in New England
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgman16 (Post 506735)
When I say dig out, I meant just getting the snow off the Jeep; I don't usually like to leave 7 inches of snow on the top to fall off onto others driving behind me (unlike most Boston drivers)...There was no shoveling on the driveway to get out.

How true. I believe that several NE states have laws requiring removal of snow and ice from the top of vehicles for that reason. The worst offenders are the 50' box trailers, but I do not know how they could possibly clean the ice off those.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community