Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Power Outage - Jeep as Mini-Generator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/power-outage-jeep-as-mini-generator-30395.html)

markp99 10-31-2011 04:38 PM

Power Outage - Jeep as Mini-Generator

Power got knocked out Saturday night here in NH. Still out now (Monday night!) - 52 deg inside at the moment, balmy compared with 49 deg this morning :) Could be a week before power is restored. :(

I work from home and my laptop and phone were dead, so I ran an extension cord from the Jeep inside to my home office, where its powering my laptop, and charging my phone! My wife's phone and a portable electric lantern are sitting in the Jeep now charging off USB & 12V adapter.

Nice mini-generator! :) - I have run the Jeep for a bit a few times today, just to be sure not draining too much, though these are all very light duty trickle charge devices.

So, what';s the trick to keep the Jeep Accessory mode powered for more than like 20-30 mins? Jeep keep shutting off power. I recall reading about a fuse pull/orientation that might accomplish this task.

Note: Jeep is not happy to provide power to run my Keurig machine - I tried, Jeep shut off power... Bummer. :)

01grand 10-31-2011 04:43 PM

Re: Power Outage - Jeep as Mini-Generator

My guess is it has a smart circuit to keep from running down the battery. It would use gas but for something that draws as much power as a coffee maker it would help to run the engine.

Knightrider03m 10-31-2011 04:57 PM

A generator would save you more money in gas lol.

AAAA 10-31-2011 09:16 PM

Or you could use the Jeep to drive you and your family to a nice warm motel. I know rooms are hard to find. My friend in Springfield, MA does not expect power until Fri so all 5 of them and 2 dogs looked for a motel, but the MA and CT motels either had no power or were full, so they drove 90 miles west and are staying here in Albany.

Lingohocken 10-31-2011 11:23 PM

Six years ago we put in a Kohler 12RES natural gas/LP generator and automatic transfer switch preceded by a 200A Intermatic house surge arrestor. If we have it for 20 years, that amortizes (forgetting present value, not much these days) to $450/yr. plus about $50/yr in maintenance (oil, filter, plugs, battery). We never go without juice, no matter the storm, which IMO makes it worth every penny especially mid-winter or in the dog days of summer.

Anybody know if the export WK2 comes with a 220V AC inverter?

ENFORCER 11-01-2011 12:16 AM

No, we do not get any inverter options on our Oz spec units.

Lingohocken 11-01-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 507055)
No, we do not get any inverter options on our Oz spec units.

So, no inverter at all?:confused:

josh3008 11-01-2011 01:46 AM

Could hook one up in the same place, shouldnt be too hard of a job, then the unit is hidden and will look standard.

Deserthucker 11-01-2011 06:51 AM

except AUS plugs are a little bigger with a third earth pin.
And another approval and certification process for every vehicle.

Andrew Klossner 11-01-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp99 (Post 506898)
I ran an extension cord from the Jeep inside to my home office, where its powering my laptop, and charging my phone! ... So, what';s the trick to keep the Jeep Accessory mode powered for more than like 20-30 mins?

I don't know that there is one. If you're drawing the max 150 watts from the inverter, that's pulling 13 amps from the battery. I haven't seen a rating for this battery, but if it's got 85 amp-hours (a generous number) then you'll drain it in seven hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp99 (Post 506898)
I recall reading about a fuse pull/orientation that might accomplish this task.

You can move fuse M7 to a different position to make the 12V power outlet in the rear stay on all the time.

WoodyCanuck 11-01-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 507502)
...You can move fuse M7 to a different position to make the 12V power outlet in the rear stay on all the time.

Thanks - thats good to know. :thumbsup:

ilber 11-01-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 507033)
Six years ago we put in a Kohler 12RES natural gas/LP generator and automatic transfer switch preceded by a 200A Intermatic house surge arrestor. If we have it for 20 years, that amortizes (forgetting present value, not much these days) to $450/yr. plus about $50/yr in maintenance (oil, filter, plugs, battery). We never go without juice, no matter the storm, which IMO makes it worth every penny especially mid-winter or in the dog days of summer.

Anybody know if the export WK2 comes with a 220V AC inverter?

smart one :) I am in the same boat, this summer put generac 20kw standby with autoswitch and battery back up for 14sec of switching...

as far as jeep's inverter i don't recall exact spec, but i know it would not run my allienware laptop ( granted the power brick is like 250W)