Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Long Trip with new cam in the Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/long-trip-with-new-cam-in-the-hemi-30396.html)

jeepgcoman 10-31-2011 06:56 PM

Long Trip with new cam in the Hemi

I just got back from a 1600 mile trip and check run for the new FRI Sidewinder cam I installed. The low end performance hasn't changed much from stock, but the mid and top end is noticeably better. I should also note that I advanced the cam 2 degrees, and when I do my Hemi LX, I'll probably advance it 4 degrees. In a nutshell, here's the trip summary info. It should also be noted that all but about 200 miles was driven above 2000 ft. elevation, with between 300-400 miles above 6000 feet and three or so climbs to over 7000 feet. Almost all was a combination of hilly, mountainous driving in Idaho, Nevada (mostly), Utah and Arizona.

Vehicle: See mods. in my signature. Cam and valvetrain was just changed and I used a modified Diablosport 93 octane tune. No knock retard was ever noted, regardless of fuel used.
Altitude range: 450-7200 feet.
Winds: Almost alway to some extent. Two legs had 25-30 mph headwinds.
Distance Driven: 1606.5 miles, including all in town driving.
Driving Speed: Mostly 60-65 mph with the two headwind legs driven at 70-75 mph. I figured the mileage would suck anyway so why not push it a little.
Moving average speed: 57.8 mph.
Overall average speed: 49.4 mph.
Fuel used: 82.27 gallons of either 85, 87, 89 or 91 octane fuel. That figures out to be (if my math is correct) 19.521 miles per gallonfor the entire trip, including in town, rural and highway driving.
Best leg economys: Wendover to Mesquite, 389 miles on 18.38 gallons, or 21.164 mpg. Wells to Boise, 246 miles on 11.7 gallons, or 21.025 mpg.
Worst legs economy: Henderson to Ely, 25-30 mph headwind, 70-75 mph, 266 miles on 16.3 gallons, or 16.319 mph. Ely to Wells, same wind conditions, same speed, not as mountainous, 139 miles on 7.7 gallons, or 18.051 mpg.

Overall I'd say the cam has helped, but should probably be advanced a little more to get the best economy. I believe that if I could drive it at lower elevation, on less mountainous roads, I could easily get 23+ mpg. I may get to check it out later this month, if I have to go to CA. We'll see.

Scottina06 10-31-2011 07:09 PM

Re: Long Trip with new cam in the Hemi

very nice write up

FlyinRyan 11-01-2011 01:39 PM

The sidewinder is a good cam. It helps that it plays nice with the PCM, too.

jeepgcoman 11-01-2011 04:47 PM

I'll agree with that one. The PCM took right to it and the more I drive it, the better it seems to run. I can't tell the difference in the idle over the stock cam, and it sure wakes up above ~2500 RPM. I have a little lifter noise now which, I am told, is normal with this cam. Sounds kind of like an old solid lifter cam. I also just updated the DS tuner from crom 9r08 to the latest 9r12 and now I can better adjust light and WOT upshift points.

JETLIFE 11-01-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks for the write up!

I plan on upgrading to that cam and valve train when I rebuild my 5.7L

I haven't messed with my up/down shift points with my DS, any tips?

FlyinRyan 11-01-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 507393)
I'll agree with that one. The PCM took right to it and the more I drive it, the better it seems to run. I can't tell the difference in the idle over the stock cam, and it sure wakes up above ~2500 RPM. I have a little lifter noise now which, I am told, is normal with this cam. Sounds kind of like an old solid lifter cam. I also just updated the DS tuner from crom 9r08 to the latest 9r12 and now I can better adjust light and WOT upshift points.

That would be the MDS lifters making the sewing machine noise now. Its considered normal.

The sidewinder works OK with a canned tune but there is power on the table still to be had from CMR. Many of the fastest N/A/N20 Rams are using either the Sidewinder or the Hellfire cam.

jeepgcoman 11-01-2011 10:54 PM

Cool! I have about 6 months to get everything squared away before next race season. I don't think the wife would buy off on me adding N20 though. I've done all this stuff in the interest of "better fuel economy", and so far it has improved a little with each major mod.....as have the times at the drags.