Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Best Generation Grand Cherokee Relative to its Era (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/best-generation-grand-cherokee-relative-to-its-era-30429.html)

WJeeper 11-01-2011 11:36 AM

Best Generation Grand Cherokee Relative to its Era

Hey Guys/Gals,

This might be a tricky comparision to make but i thought Iíd try anyway.
I was wondering if one generation of Grands stood out more in itís time then the others. If a certain generation really impressed, or dissappointed, a lot more when it debuted. In other words, was the WK (for example) as good in Ď05 as the WJ in í99 or WK2 in Ď10. Or think Ď92 Cowboys, Ď99 Rams, and Ď05 Patriots. I personally canít speak for ZJ since i was too young during itís debut, but i can imagine it was pretty impressive at the time. I donít want to compare them head to head since obviously there are always improvements made from one generation to the next, but more so in regards to their significants in its own era. And I realize this is the WJ section, but I could not find a more neutral platform to post in. I happen to own a WJ, but itís the only Jeep Iíve owned so Iím not qualified to make a valid argument. Again this is not meant as a direct comparison hence why I thought this might be a difficult comparision to make without bias. Any thoughts?

Terminator2 11-01-2011 12:40 PM

Re: Best Generation Grand Cherokee Relative to its Era

As far a awards and accolades from the automotive community go the WK2 seems to rank number one. Not comparing any of them to another because they are very different. Especially comparing a WK2 to a ZJ or WJ.

Gus9890 11-03-2011 12:13 AM

I've had a couple Jeeps, I really liked my '97 Cherokee Sport, it was quite a workhorse and really took a beating and always came back for more, until I sold it, but it still had a lot of life left in it. And I love my current '01 WJ Limited. I don't like the looks of the newer Jeeps. I don't care for the way they did the round headlights and the newest Jeeps look too much like everything else out there. But that's just my opinion.

jeepster23 11-03-2011 06:56 AM

The ZJs were in a class by themselves. They were really the first SUV with luxury and capability like the mid to late 90s orvis editions.

All I have read on the Orvis edition was that it was jeeps attempt at getting into the ford exploder eddie bauer buyers... so it wasnt the first really. Still decent rigs none the less.

amw5 11-03-2011 07:12 AM

I'll second the ZJ, even though I never owned one. When it came out, it seemed that everyone had to have one. In addition, I still see many of them on the road today. I think that all things being relative, it was the most popular. Likewise, they didn't have much competition. Design wise, I think it's a close call between the WJ and the WK2...both recieved good reviews and I think that more people prefer the gentler, rounded appearance of the WJ/WK2 over the more chiseled and angular look of the ZJ/WK. Of course, over all, the WK2 is the most refined and encompases many more features than its predecessors...MHO.

WJeeper 11-03-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw5 (Post 508353)
I'll second the ZJ, even though I never owned one. When it came out, it seemed that everyone had to have one. In addition, I still see many of them on the road today. I think that all things being relative, it was the most popular. Likewise, they didn't have much competition. Design wise, I think it's a close call between the WJ and the WK2...both recieved good reviews and I think that more people prefer the gentler, rounded appearance of the WJ/WK2 over the more chiseled and angular look of the ZJ/WK. Of course, over all, the WK2 is the most refined and encompases many more features than its predecessors...MHO.

It's funny you mention the appearance of the WJ and WK2 b/c I always thought the WK2 resembled the WJ slightly, at least from the front. I wondered if it was just me. The back imo has become a little more generic, although overall it's a still Grand and a good looking truck.

TJXJWJ 11-03-2011 08:18 AM

They definitely went back to a WJ-esque look for the front end of the new Grand. I bought an 04 instead of a WK because I liked the looks and the dual solid axles. At that point I was still considering going "off-road" with it. As much as I like the WJ and the WK2, something has to be said for the WK SRT. Masterpiece...

WJeeper 11-03-2011 08:19 AM

Was the Explorer a competitor at the time? I know they were pretty popular and seemed to be in the same category, and I thought I saw some old commercials where they were marketed as having off road capabilities. Speaking of commercials, I'll never forget this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2q9YOqstQ

Amelie 11-03-2011 09:33 PM

I personally like the more aggressive WK over the WK2 which looks like they were going for a more family oriented approach or the typical bourgeois type consumer who has to everything new when it comes out and try to imitate cars of a higher luxury than what they are. (But they did a pretty damn good job)

Isn't the WJ one of the best selling SUV's of all time and helped to cement the SUV as a viable car type?

TJXJWJ 11-04-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJeeper (Post 508366)
Was the Explorer a competitor at the time? I know they were pretty popular and seemed to be in the same category, and I thought I saw some old commercials where they were marketed as having off road capabilities. Speaking of commercials, I'll never forget this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2q9YOqstQ

Sweet video! Yeah, the Ford Exploder and the Chevy Blazer I believe were competitors. My dad had an old IH Scout back in the day...now that was an off-road machine.

TJXJWJ 11-04-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 508715)
I personally like the more aggressive WK over the WK2 which looks like they were going for a more family oriented approach or the typical bourgeois type consumer who has to everything new when it comes out and try to imitate cars of a higher luxury than what they are. (But they did a pretty damn good job)

Isn't the WJ one of the best selling SUV's of all time and helped to cement the SUV as a viable car type?

I think the XJ was the most popular SUV of all time...but close enough.

brunality 11-04-2011 08:00 AM

I had a '98 ZJ during college and I absolutely loved it. I never modded anything and still never got stuck anywhere. Personally when I imagine a GC, I see the ZJ in my mind. I agree that the WK looks like a refined ZJ and the WK2 looks like a exotic WJ.
Plus the 5.9 GC was a BEAST!
Jeeps run in the family, the wife had a '95 when we got together and her brother still drives his '03 daily.
The only one I can't account for is a WK2, but I wouldn't turn it down if offered.

I do think the ZJ was the most important, it set a standard that no other SUV even bothered to match.