Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Best Generation Grand Cherokee Relative to its Era

7K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  nwb300 
#1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,

This might be a tricky comparision to make but i thought I’d try anyway.
I was wondering if one generation of Grands stood out more in it’s time then the others. If a certain generation really impressed, or dissappointed, a lot more when it debuted. In other words, was the WK (for example) as good in ‘05 as the WJ in ’99 or WK2 in ‘10. Or think ‘92 Cowboys, ‘99 Rams, and ‘05 Patriots. I personally can’t speak for ZJ since i was too young during it’s debut, but i can imagine it was pretty impressive at the time. I don’t want to compare them head to head since obviously there are always improvements made from one generation to the next, but more so in regards to their significants in its own era. And I realize this is the WJ section, but I could not find a more neutral platform to post in. I happen to own a WJ, but it’s the only Jeep I’ve owned so I’m not qualified to make a valid argument. Again this is not meant as a direct comparison hence why I thought this might be a difficult comparision to make without bias. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I've had a couple Jeeps, I really liked my '97 Cherokee Sport, it was quite a workhorse and really took a beating and always came back for more, until I sold it, but it still had a lot of life left in it. And I love my current '01 WJ Limited. I don't like the looks of the newer Jeeps. I don't care for the way they did the round headlights and the newest Jeeps look too much like everything else out there. But that's just my opinion.

#5 ·
I'll second the ZJ, even though I never owned one. When it came out, it seemed that everyone had to have one. In addition, I still see many of them on the road today. I think that all things being relative, it was the most popular. Likewise, they didn't have much competition. Design wise, I think it's a close call between the WJ and the WK2...both recieved good reviews and I think that more people prefer the gentler, rounded appearance of the WJ/WK2 over the more chiseled and angular look of the ZJ/WK. Of course, over all, the WK2 is the most refined and encompases many more features than its predecessors...MHO.

#6 ·
It's funny you mention the appearance of the WJ and WK2 b/c I always thought the WK2 resembled the WJ slightly, at least from the front. I wondered if it was just me. The back imo has become a little more generic, although overall it's a still Grand and a good looking truck.

#7 ·
They definitely went back to a WJ-esque look for the front end of the new Grand. I bought an 04 instead of a WK because I liked the looks and the dual solid axles. At that point I was still considering going "off-road" with it. As much as I like the WJ and the WK2, something has to be said for the WK SRT. Masterpiece...

#10 ·
Was the Explorer a competitor at the time? I know they were pretty popular and seemed to be in the same category, and I thought I saw some old commercials where they were marketed as having off road capabilities. Speaking of commercials, I'll never forget this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2q9YOqstQ

Sweet video! Yeah, the Ford Exploder and the Chevy Blazer I believe were competitors. My dad had an old IH Scout back in the day...now that was an off-road machine.

#9 ·
I personally like the more aggressive WK over the WK2 which looks like they were going for a more family oriented approach or the typical bourgeois type consumer who has to everything new when it comes out and try to imitate cars of a higher luxury than what they are. (But they did a pretty damn good job)

Isn't the WJ one of the best selling SUV's of all time and helped to cement the SUV as a viable car type?

#11 ·
I personally like the more aggressive WK over the WK2 which looks like they were going for a more family oriented approach or the typical bourgeois type consumer who has to everything new when it comes out and try to imitate cars of a higher luxury than what they are. (But they did a pretty damn good job)

Isn't the WJ one of the best selling SUV's of all time and helped to cement the SUV as a viable car type?
I think the XJ was the most popular SUV of all time...but close enough.

#12 ·
I had a '98 ZJ during college and I absolutely loved it. I never modded anything and still never got stuck anywhere. Personally when I imagine a GC, I see the ZJ in my mind. I agree that the WK looks like a refined ZJ and the WK2 looks like a exotic WJ.
Plus the 5.9 GC was a BEAST!
Jeeps run in the family, the wife had a '95 when we got together and her brother still drives his '03 daily.
The only one I can't account for is a WK2, but I wouldn't turn it down if offered.

I do think the ZJ was the most important, it set a standard that no other SUV even bothered to match.

#15 · (Edited)
I have to give it to the ZJ. Think about when it came out (93 model year). Back then what SUV did the consumer have a choice to buy that looked good? Or fit in their garages for that matter. Lets see... Ford bronco, dodge ramcharger, suburban, blazer, explorer, pathfinder? I definitely remember the 4runner and landcruiser since we were looking at them before my parents got the zj. Dont forget the mini suvs that were not really suvs like the geo, mazda or the suzuki...

The Jeep was the only one that was totally different. Looked good (rounded edges for its time) great interior from the limited. My mom got so many compliments on the Jeep practically every day when driving in the brand new black 93 limited ( i think i was 7 or 8 then). Nothing like it at that time. I would say that the ZJ pretty much started the SUV sales boom of the early 90s and beyond especially since gas prices at the time were not really considered.

p.s. I still have an original, practically mint condition, 93 grand cherokee full model line brochure in my room. Found it in a closet one day.

#17 ·
ZJ- Came out as an Early 93 model. First SUV with Driver side airbag. (most competition didn't get that till 95-96 models) Had 4 ABS that worked in 2wd/4wd. Most competitors didn't. Automatic climate control (only domestic SUV with it).
4.0 with 190 HP was better than most competitors. Then the 5.2 V8 came out, back when very few SUV competitors had V8. Plus 231, 242, and 249 options. This thing was The SUV Standard. Handling/braking/accleration were typically better than the competition. (most of the competition had weaker V6s, part time 4wd, rear wheel only abs, no airbags)

Wj in 99- Arrived against alot of competition, since the total number of domestic and import SUVs were really increasing. However the 4.7, quadradrive, dual zone climate control for the limited, spare tire location,

Overall, seems the best SUV at the time. Explorers were bigger in the back seat and cargo area, Blazers were probably cheaper, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee seems the best.

The Wk, had the 4.7 and the 5.7, the WK2 seems much better than the current explorer.

#18 ·
Yeah, the Explorer was a big time competitor. One of the BIG factors, was the number of Ford dealers, vs the number of Jeep Dealers. It is easier to sell something if you have tons of dealers, with a history of consumers.
The explorer was a 91 model, so it beat the Jeep to Market. I think the 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer and 93 Explorer Limited of that era still look good. It was bigger than the Jeep GC inside. It had a higher reputation for reliability than the Jeep GC, which was a factor back in that time. But part time 4wd only, no airbags.

The Blazer was competition, but was based on the 84 Era Blazer, so it was behind the times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqcpa6-1OQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-7wnhcYvSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGKngIa5HLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQ7QwFLUm0
Look at youtube for the motorweek reviews

#19 ·
I have personally owned a 97 XJ, a 04 WJ, and a 07 WK. I have driven ZJs and I also currently own a 06 XK.

As far a GCs go, I prefer ZJs and WKs. I liked my WJ, but not as much as ZJs or WKs. The WK2 is growing on me, but I am not sold on the exterior styling. Jeep generally sets the standard for off road capability and luxurious, offroad SUVs.

I wish they still had the XK in the lineup because my wife and I absolutely love it. It is a Jeep, but it just has that look and feel about it that make you feel like you are in something way more expensive than what it actually cost. Plus, its called a Commander, that is badass in itself.

#21 ·
I think the WJ was the best up until the wk2. They sold a ton of wj's from 99-04. The wk was kind of the red headed step child since it had more german looks design wise. The headlights went too far away from the wj and that hurt sales with Jeep wj owners. They thought the wk was too german. The wk2 has brought back a TON of wj owners. But the WJ was the best seller to date.....right or wrong?(I ask cause Im just going from emory and I could very well be wrong...LOL)

#22 ·
ZJ will always be my favorite. But I loved my old WJ. It was reliable and I never had any problems with it. It was great driving it everyday and it never let me down. I own a WK currently and I love it especially the 5.7L, but it is giving me some problems....

#25 ·
I don't think any of the GC's were really geared toward the hardcore crawler. That's why Wranglers and XJ's were in the lineup. The ZJ was probably the best off-roader out of the box, but you can't argue with the WJ's dual solid axles, 4.7L, AND super plush interior and ride quality. That's why I think that it was the best so far, and why Jeep seems to be going back to that design a bit with the the WK2. It should have been called the WJ2. If you're really into crawling, you're probably buying a ZJ, XJ, or Wrangler. If you want to go fast...well, the SRT line is badass, both WK and current. It's all about priorities and what you're lifestyle is, and they do a good job of catering to the large majority. The only real glaring "failure" was getting rid of the XJ in my opinion. The Libby is a great vehicle, but it's no XJ.

#29 ·
i had a 99 WJ (by necessity and not by choice) and i loved the exterior styling when i bought it. i hated the WK when it came out, but eventually loved how it didnt look like every other suv on the market. looking back i now dislike the early build WJs and love the looks of the 04. but i do like the WK better than any WJ. the WK2 (although not my style because i am not a soccer mom) destroys both in build quality and materials used.

#30 ·
After owning both a 93 ZJ and a 01 WJ, I have to say the WJ is my favorite. If you are buying a grand for serious offroading you are gonna need to do some serious mods, as everyone says thats what wranglers are for. Granted I did come from a Laredo to a Limited, but in many other respects the WJ has been a better vehicle. I love the power in the V8 and I think the styling is still pretty aggressive.

I did not care fore the WK when it first came out, but it has grown on me. Still not sure how I feel about the WK2s looks, but they are growing on me too. Overall they all seem to be very solid vehicles, especially comparing price to performance.

#31 ·
Wow, this is a great thread for me at the moment.

I just had someone wreck my 2000 WJ, all optioned, well maintained, excellent body and function, low miles 72K.

I really liked that jeep and it was my first jeep (going away gift from previous employer) and I didn't really care for the WK, a bit too boxy, etc.

While I like the new WK2, I like the style, features and function I don't really like the performance of the V6. I don't want a 5.7l HEMI in anything so I am leaning BACK towards a WK with a 4.7 V8 which is what my 2000 WJ GCL had in it. Great engine, I managed to get 22-23 highways and about 18-19 combined. Drove well and had great torque and power for my needs.

Of the model years, I think I might look for a 2004 WJ, or maybe a 2008 WK (wasn't this the model year that added some features, performance, efficiency in the 4.7 V8?)

If I can find a reasonably low mileage WK that might be my next jeep.

What I REALL want is the CRD WK2, but don't really want to wait most likely more than a year for that product.

#33 ·
I feel like the WJ has aged pretty well. If I see a nice limited or overland today I still feel as though they're just as nice, style wise, as many of the newest SUVs. As far as offroad capability I don't see a big difference between a ZJ and WJ if equally equipped. A lot of the same hardware, right?

#36 ·
the srt8s are by far an amaizing jeep on raod.....the old wj could some amaizing things ,and i have also seen the WK do some amaizing things.......there shoud be a jeep challange, stockers vs stockers all years all makes ...it would be awsome to see .....

#38 ·
wj's are definitely where it's at. Zj's are great, but too all over the place inside, too rough around the edges and lack refinement. I worked at a Jeep dealer in 03/04/05, and we loved the WJ's; we couldn't kep them on the lot. When the WK's hit, were disappointed. The interior felt cheap, the IFS made it feel like a pickup, it didn't feel "sporty" like the WJ's in the corners, and the weight was just plain too much. A WJ with a 4.7 HO was just as quick as a hemi WK, and got waaay better mileage, too. The new Wk2's are crossover's; huge jump in refinement, but it got even fatter, and the v6 is a dog. Even the hemi's are slow. The WJ was the last 'true' Jeepish luxury SUV, and has the all around greatness the others can't match. The SRT wk's are freaking sweet, though. While the Wj may not be as 4x4 friendly as thed zj, as fast as a wk/srt, and as refined as the wk2, it has a combination of everything that sets it a head over the rest. It has the right blend of off road capability, on road refinement and handling, luxury, speed, mileage, and styling. The only real drawbacks are the early build years and spotty reliabiliy with ill-maintained ones. I'd sell my '99 limited qd2 for my mom's '02 laredo(which is a rare leather, 242, 4.7, tow/skid package, non-uc model), or an 04 freedom/columbia in an instant. You'd have to really convince me to buy any other grand, with huge incentives; I still pobably wouldn't be as happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.