Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   New Steering I shaft ordered (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/new-steering-i-shaft-ordered-30465.html)

jp467 11-01-2011 08:28 PM

New Steering I shaft ordered

The dealer ordered me the new intermediate shaft with the green dot. I get a thud sometimes over bumps in the steering wheel. The question I have is for those that have had it replaced does it also take care of the shudder in the wheel over bumps. Sometimes over the rough stuff the wheel will shake back and forth. Can someone commment weather it made a difference with this? They are on back order so I will have to wait a week or two to find out for myself.

Davidoconn 11-04-2011 04:51 PM

Re: New Steering I shaft ordered

I just had mine installed today. It took less than a week for the part to get to the dealer and they ordered it after I mentioned the TSB to them.

The results are perfect and I HIGHLY recommend this fix to all that have the problem. It took less than 2 hours. It was kind of strange at the dealer as they really didn't want to make the repair. They get paid anyhow, so I am not sure why.

They claim that it really doesn't make a difference (it does and it is HUGE) and that nobody else has requested that they fix the issue.

The followers of this forum are obviously entusiasts who will notice things that are not right on their vehicles. Seems that most of the population simply doesn't care. Must be the same people driving around with the tailgate sticker still on their vehicles.

madherm 11-04-2011 07:13 PM

I finally got to take my Overland in for the clunking noise in my steering today. Seemed like they knew right of the bat what it was because they were done with it in less than two hours and had already put the part on order. I've never really felt a shudder going over bumps. Mine seemed to only happen when I was going slow or stopped and turning the wheels. It didn't seem like the dealer had any issue with fixing it. Maybe it's because I've had to get in their a$% a couple times now. I'm just glad the dealer here has finally ordered a service advisor that gives a crap. We'll see if it fixes the issue.

Zero Point 11-04-2011 07:22 PM

Where can I find the TSB for this issue, and what years/trims does it affect?

sined240 11-04-2011 09:39 PM

yup, just got this replaced today after my backordered i shaft came in yesterday. the wheel just feels much firmer and solid, and no thud/click feeling through the steering wheel.

jeep2011 11-04-2011 10:20 PM

Must be nice to all that have been successful. I have been to two dealers now and all I have got was "can not duplicate". I have printed out the TSB both times and still nothing. Does anyone know where the green dot is on the shaft? I have looked under the hood, but have not been able to find the sticker.

It is about to drive me crazy every time I drive feeling the binding/thud.

jp467 11-05-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 509357)
Must be nice to all that have been successful. I have been to two dealers now and all I have got was "can not duplicate". I have printed out the TSB both times and still nothing. Does anyone know where the green dot is on the shaft? I have looked under the hood, but have not been able to find the sticker.

It is about to drive me crazy every time I drive feeling the binding/thud.

If yours was built before July 1 2011 it won't have a green dot as all of those have the old shaft. The dealer did not give me any problem at all. They did a quick inspection and then ordered the shaft. It should be in early next week.

jeep2011 11-06-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 509413)
If yours was built before July 1 2011 it won't have a green dot as all of those have the old shaft. The dealer did not give me any problem at all. They did a quick inspection and then ordered the shaft. It should be in early next week.

Cool mine was built 5/11 so I will try again. Guess I will have to be sturn this time.

cnims 11-06-2011 01:45 PM

I think I have this issue on my Overland which was built 7/26/11. I feel a vibration in the steering wheel when braking at slow speeds, like something is loose in the drive shaft. Where is the green dot, is it possible to view without have to take things apart?

jp467 11-08-2011 05:49 PM

Had the new shaft installed today. It took about an hour. All is well nice solid steering again.

F500 06-09-2014 08:37 AM

They don't do recalls unless they are forced to. Go to this Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011-2016 Grand Cherokee Service Bulletins and Recalls and look for 19-004-11 under steering.