Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Where Is My Coolant Going?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/where-is-my-coolant-going-30483.html)

WJeeper 11-02-2011 08:30 AM

Where Is My Coolant Going??

This has been going on several months and i havenít gone more than two week without having to add coolant. The overflow tank becomes completely empty and I get the ďlow coolantĒ warning. I havenít found any leaks and also had the system pressure tested with no leaks detected. Just to give you a little
history on the engine itís a 4.0 with 125,xxx. Iíve recently had to replace a radiator fan relay, which caused the engine to overheat. I replaced that again after a couple months when it went bad and eventually caused my radiotor to blow. So the radiator is new also. I also replaced the oil pressure sending unit a few months ago due to low/flucuating oil pressure, although now the pressure is constantly at 80. Not sure if that has any relation but iím trying not to leave anything out. Iím pretty sure I have the blend door problem with no heat on the pasengers side, and Iíve also discovered water underneath the passengerís side carpet. Iím pretty lost and iím going through about a gallon of coolant a week. Sorry for the lengthy post but any help would be greatly appreciated so I can try to tackle the cause of this problem.

01grand 11-02-2011 08:58 AM

Re: Where Is My Coolant Going??

If there is water on the passenger side carpet my first guess would be a leaking heater core. Not sure if this would show on a pressure test because Im pretty sure the thermostat would be closed. Check to see if the wet floor smells like coolant.

Also check the oil and exhaust for moisture because it could be a head gasket, but at that mileage and losing that much coolant you would probably know already if it was a head gasket.

WJeeper 11-02-2011 09:26 AM

The water was actually underneath the carpet being soaked up by some kind of plastic wrapped foam layer. No moisture on top of the carpet itself. It was also clear with no smell that I could detect so I'm assuming it was only water. Forgot to mention the last time I changed the oil I did see some brownish milky sludge on the the oil cap, although the oil itself looked normal. This is probably a dump question but are there any obvious signs of a blown head gasket. It runs well with no loss of power or excess noise.

06RC22 11-02-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJeeper (Post 507839)
The water was actually underneath the carpet being soaked up by some kind of plastic wrapped foam layer. No moisture on top of the carpet itself. It was also clear with no smell that I could detect so I'm assuming it was only water. Forgot to mention the last time I changed the oil I did see some brownish milky sludge on the the oil cap, although the oil itself looked normal. This is probably a dump question but are there any obvious signs of a blown head gasket. It runs well with no loss of power or excess noise.

On my 06 3.7L... I had a blown head gasket and I had the milky sludge on the oil cap. From my understanding, it was the water separating from the oil and it ended up there. I opted to replace the full long block since the coolant caused a piston to crack. It was a mess. They were able to do a leak down test and find the head gasket was blown.

WJeeper 11-03-2011 09:31 AM

i guess i'll start by checking the cap again. Assuming it is a head gasket what is the degree of difficulty trying to repair myself? If it's something that can be done with basic tools and common sense then I'm willing to give it a shot although i have no experience with engines. Or if I go to a mechanic what is an average cost of price and labor? Thanks in advance for any info..

StoneCold 11-03-2011 10:01 AM

If you have a good guide and with a bit of common sense, you can do it yourself. But there can be a lot of things to take into consideration and if you have little or no experience with engines, I'd say give it to a mechanic.

I don't know what labour rates are over there, but here it would certainly be no more than £400 max at a good non rip off garage.

Trouble is you don't know what you're going to find until you have the head off, will it need machined, is there piston damage etc.

djluski 11-03-2011 11:26 AM

if there is water on the inside of the cabin, it is the heater core that is blown. the part is ~$80 install is ~$600. just did it on my wj. while everything is apart, might as well replace the ac evaporator ~$100

WJeeper 11-03-2011 03:40 PM

So would a bad heater core be causing such rapid coolant loss?. btw I am still getting heat on the driver's side.

TJXJWJ 11-03-2011 08:16 PM

Yes...you've got coolant running through the core which lives behind the glovebox. I'm sure you could easily go through an overflow tank's worth with a leaky core.

WJeeper 11-04-2011 08:00 AM

Nuts. So it looks like I need to take apart the dash, and do the blends doors while I'm in there. Is there anything else i should look for or replace while its apart? I know this is a pretty big project so hopefully I only need to do it once.

TJXJWJ 11-04-2011 09:48 AM

I'd do what djluski suggested and replace the evaporator while you're in there. It's basically the only other major thing back there and you'll be glad you did once you realize the amount of work that goes into removing the dash enough to get these parts out. I did this job on my old XJ...solid 8 hour job by myself. I did both the evap and heater core and after I was done, took it in to an AC shop to have the system charged back up.

WJeeper 11-15-2011 09:57 PM

Checked the oil cap again and again had a milky sludge. Also checked under the carpet and no more water. Cannot figure this out. I let it go a little longer (maybe a couple weeks) without refilling and it just started overheating a little. Put in almost a gallon and a half this time. Where else can this coolant be going?